Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Socks: what do you use

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Interesting to hear if anyone has had them replaced? Eventually they are going to wear out it’s inevitable. Surely there must be some conditions Thiago with the warranty?
    Mine are a little worse now so it’s good to read I may have have options. Certainly got my money out of them already and agree for me they are the best out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Up until recently i'd only really used the work socks from Farmlands, but have recently tried a pair of the Macpac Expedition socks and I really like them.
    I really rate these as well but my only complaint is they don't last long before the soles wear through

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Farm fleck (pretty sure Norse wear or MKM) ex Haddads Otorohanga.

Kopua Cowboy likes this.

Thorlo combat socks, I wear them every day, I've got a few pairs that're over 5yrs old now and no holes.

https://www.thecopshop.nz/socks/120-...los-black.html

I like the bridgedales, used them since 95 or 98 and still have them. Also have newer ones as well! They came with a 3 year warranty and have replaced one pair with a small hole on the side, would of throught the toes or heal would have gone first.
    Now I think their warranty is lifetime? Southern adventure, may clarify that.
    Bridgedales used to make a alpine or mountain , I think it was which worked with the Gore Tex boots warm and not sweating on the high country.
    What fine moments and memories a pair of socks can give you! as you slide into the sleeping bag after a hard outing on a very cold night with warm feet.
    KH
    davetapson likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

I've been using the merino ones Cactus Outdoor sell, but the neigh-bour swears by these
    Name:  3d6bed1676a7cca5c7a0adbcee863c80.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  82.3 KB
    Sarvo and Happy Jack like this.

Thanks for all the replies. I had a look at the product details for the Bridgedales, Norsewear, Thorlos, Alpsock and then thought there was nothing to lose by starting out with the lowest cost Merino option – which was the Alpsock from The Warehouse. NZ made in Timaru. The Haddads appear to be the same sock, possibly a split line from Alpsock where they can make a bit of profit with their own branding (as opposed to selling through The Warehouse).
    The options were these:

Name:  alpsocks types.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  121.8 KB

The Nato has the loop-pile weave only on the bottom half of the sock for cushioning the sole, a conventional weave over the top of the foot. The Thermal provides cushioning around the whole foot, but not on the ribbing (top). The Gumboot model has the loop-pile throughout, so on the inside of the ribbing as well – to cushion the mid-calf. I went for the Thermals as I had a bit of room within the boot to pad out. I tried these out on Sunday while looking for a smaller meat animal and ended up back at the vehicle with 12kg of boned-out venison, but without the previously-mentioned onset of blisters on the soles.
    I've come to realise that there are other considerations beyond the type of sock that I'll need to look into; the tightness in the lacing around the ankles plays a big part in how locked-in the foot is – how much the foot is allowed to slide fore-and-aft within the boot. I also have insoles with a grippy top surface that tends to hold the sock and cause any movement to be between the foot and sock, rather than sock and boot. Possible the best solution might be to double up on the socks with a second pair of thin inners where movement will hopefully then be only between the socks themselves.

Name:  carcass view down the gully III.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  622.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    Bridgedale or icebreaker, best thing with the icebreakers are if they get a hole you take them back to shop and get a new pair
    As above icebreaker - and they exchange with wear holes after a few years as I found out. Worth the extra initial cost IMO

Name:  CD117D75-B91C-4D49-B259-5BB9486C21B1.jpeg
Views: 348
Size:  132.4 KB
    I use these from norsewear, they are comfortable and last really well, I use mine for work on the farm and hunting, these and bridgedales from my experience last the longest, about twice as long as the socks from Haddads.

Two cheap thinner socks on top of one another, or bridgedale trekker. I bring both options anyway just in case. Had no issues with blisters.

Name:  injinji-toe-socks.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  595.6 KB
    My toes would start complaining after a day in wet boots, especially during the downhill sections - then I discovered injinji toe socks.

Bought a couple of pairs of Bridgedale Coolmax's last century and they've lasted until now - one sock blew a hole about a week ago. Not bad going.

Don't know what model, they've changed, but thick ones. I did at the time buy some extra-cool lightweight socks which were supposed to be liners but were the hottest socks I've ever worn, so pretty much ignored them since.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Three of us had the 'Hot Feet' thing two weekends ago, all with different boots and socks. Dont know why, but I can add it was only on the descent with heavy loads. One member wearing Norsewear work socks had his soles peel from the course weave.
    An old guy told me a good trick to stop that problem - put on some thin dress type socks first before putting the Norsewear socks on, it works!
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfoot View Post
    I've been using the merino ones Cactus Outdoor sell, but the neigh-bour swears by these
    Attachment 162652
    Must walk funny to, thats a front and back shoe so where is the other side?

I only wear Bridgedale full stop now.
    I bought 4 pairs, 4 years ago and wear them for everything, in work boots all day and outside of work. Only now they’ve just started to let go along the stitch line along the top of the toes.
    I really rate the sock liners when out in the hills.