Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Spotlight 'light' too white

Have you considered an NV scope and light Moa ? Make eyes stand out like spotlights with reflected light. Not always the easiest to see the whole animal though, but I guess that depends on what you are shooting and where.
    That's where thermal comes in - poor buggers don't stand a chance through thermal . You can see animals where any kind of light won't pick them up due to foliage reflection, distance etc.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

I have a Olight Javelot and a Maxtoch Sniper. The Olight is “de-domed” from the factory and throws a much more user friendly light than the maxtoch which throws a very white “icy” hue that makes things difficult to make out in detail at distance. I have a small maxtoch single 18650 torch also that I’ve had for years, I had it de-domed and it most definitely changed the hue of the light to that more user friendly hue that was less white than before I had it done
    Moa Hunter and mawzer308 like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Do many of you use the red light ones at all? id had decent success with small game with them

Banned
    In all honesty I cant justify the expense of a thermal scope for shooting hares, rabbits, Roos and the occasional pig or deer thats where it shouldn't be. With the very white light, a rabbit can be flat on the ground and near invisible in dead grass.
    The other issue, and no less a headache is when there is moisture in the air and the spotlight sends a giant white jedi light sabre beam into the distance. All that reflected light makes it bloody hard to look through a scope that magnifies it several times

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    a giant white jedi light sabre beam into the distance. All that reflected light makes it bloody hard to look through a scope that magnifies it several times
    This is one of the reasons I've been seriously considering something like the PARD or an ATN scope - mainly for the little stuff when I'm solo at home

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I have a Olight Javelot and a Maxtoch Sniper. The Olight is “de-domed” from the factory and throws a much more user friendly light than the maxtoch which throws a very white “icy” hue that makes things difficult to make out in detail at distance. I have a small maxtoch single 18650 torch also that I’ve had for years, I had it de-domed and it most definitely changed the hue of the light to that more user friendly hue that was less white than before I had it done
    @Ryan_Songhurst, what lights does your father use ?. One bloke I know uses a 30watt light for shooting hares commercially and just has them in the edge of the beam

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    @Ryan_Songhurst, what lights does your father use ?. One bloke I know uses a 30watt light for shooting hares commercially and just has them in the edge of the beam
    He’s moving more and more to thermal only. Has just completed contract doing all of the Macaulay and I think he’s doing the Godley at the moment and contract states no light sources are to be used. On some of the stuff where he does still use lights he actually uses the old school lightforce gear mounted to his helmet and has the Olight Javelots setup to rifle mount
    Trout, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Banned
    Decided to get a Maxtoch with green filter. Soft light that doesnt wreck my own night vision and yet is still good to shoot to 350 (not that I will ever shoot that far in the dark) and hares and Rabbits will carry on grazing in the beam, which is not something that I have had with other lights.
    Thanks for input
    RV1 likes this.