Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: Tuatahi axe project - small axe / hatchet for hunting, tramping, fishing etc

Just heard back from Tuatahi, apparently the team is looking into it. I will try and get someone there to sign up on this forum, then they can answer any questions direct. But they are pretty busy making axes, so we'll just see what happens. I am totally happy to relay any feedback from here.
    Also just wanted to clarify, the main purpose (IMO) for the bearded shape is to reduce weight but still retain a decent cutting edge length.
    From my research, it seems that the original point of the beard was that when they first started making iron (and probably bronze before that) axes 1000s of years ago, was to reduce the amount of metal needed and keep the larger cutting edge.
    Because iron and metals then were so incredibly precious, it made sense to use as little as possible. The bearded shape allows much less use of metal.
    And it has the happy side effect of reducing weight, and lowering the centre of gravity lower down the haft, for improved cutting efficiency.

If we remember our 5th form physics, a lighter object moving faster has more momentum or force than a heavier object moving slower, or something like that...

For all these reasons, bearded axes appear to have greater cutting efficiency than the standard basic wedge shape axe design that we are used to, which is more like the American felling axe.
    As usual, traditional designs honed over 1000s of years that have passed the test of time have survived for a reason.
    Nowadays, steel is cheap, so you can just make a big ole heavy axe head. As long as you don't need to walk around for days carrying it, that's fine. But if you need to carry it, I want the best cutting performance with the lowest weight

Never thought I would have learned so much about axes...

This is mine. Not much of an axe.Name:  IMG_2031.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  4.18 MB It came with me from Africa and must be over a century old now.
    Sarvo and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffle View Post
    Hi Buzo, yep the Hultafors hunting axe: https://piranhatools.co.nz/collectio...-axe-hultafors is pretty much what I am looking for from Tuatahi. The handle length and weight is about right, I'd like a bit more beard so that the cutting edge can be longer and still keep the weight down so the head is around 600g. Then total weight about 1-1.1kg
    You guys may not know that Hultafors / Hults Bruk apparently make the wood-handled Husqvarna axes as well. Look at the 'Carpenter Axe' and 'Limbing Axe' here: https://www.husqvarna.com/nz/parts-a...st-tools-axes/ Pretty good pricing when they come with the Husqvarna name! Might suit some here - I'd get one myself except that I don't have enough use for the axe I already have.

I have exactly those two.. The carpenters is 510mm load and weighs 1320gram. Little heavy for a carry axe but a good length. The limbing axe is lighter by 100grams but a bit long at 65cm.

Name:  IMG_7448.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  4.73 MB
    Sarvo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    I have exactly those two.. The carpenters is 510mm load and weighs 1320gram. Little heavy for a carry axe but a good length. The limbing axe is lighter by 100grams but a bit long at 65cm.

Attachment 167988
    An hour tidying up the profile of the cutting edge
    And sand down the handles a bit and refinish with boiled linseed oil and the Husqvarna axes are great value for money

Yes the limbing axe is the one to carry in the bush
    But the carpenters axe is very handy on remote building sites and around the farm

Pick out the axe with the most vertical grain in the handle through the head
    Avoid ones with cross grain through the head

I'd be on for a Tuatahi or 2 potentially... I think you are right about a slightly longer hander for the camp axe and a shorter lighter package for a genuine carry axe. Would prefer more traditional shape rather than excessive bearding.. but I have seen some that I really like... the second one of Sarvos from the top is not bad. I would contour out the inside notch closest to the handle I reckon..

Might be on for one of yours too Sarvo..

I have a bit of a thing for axes, and knives and rifles and bows and bikes and boats...... ah shit...
    Sidney, you have caught "The affliction ". Don't expect a Dr to be able to resolve this issue for you. And do expect a bunch of mates to come around, hoping to catch it off you

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    You guys may not know that Hultafors / Hults Bruk apparently make the wood-handled Husqvarna axes as well. Look at the 'Carpenter Axe' and 'Limbing Axe' here: https://www.husqvarna.com/nz/parts-a...st-tools-axes/ Pretty good pricing when they come with the Husqvarna name! Might suit some here - I'd get one myself except that I don't have enough use for the axe I already have.
    yep I have heard that too. The huskies are pretty good apparently, just need a bit of finishing of the handles maybe and the hanging may not always be spot on

Attachment 167988
    yep, 1 would like to have the handle no longer than 48-50cm, overall weight 1.1kg max for carrying in a day pack. After all, if it's too heavy you don't want to carry it. The best tool is the one you have....

Tuatahi have just released a new Camp Axe..... Looks good too!

https://www.tuatahiaxes.com/copy-of-work-axes

I found an Old smaller axe head in the old blacksmiths workshop. Cleaned, hammered,filed and polished it up. fitted a new $40.00 Hickory handle and Voila.
    There it was 1 head 1 handle "Great Grandads Axe"....
    akaroa1 likes this.

Name:  16214121543921650117056968667436.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  5.73 MB

What a great thread. Here is a little Axe I was given in memory of a friend who passed in 1998. "Clarky" (Russell Clark) was a superb Horseman, Hunter, Bushman and Craftsman (of Saddles, Bits, Pistols including a made from scratch 44 Magnum revolver and much else) . He spent many winters possuming in Fiordland and this was his "line axe", when not in use it hung above his workbench. We spent thousands of hours together in the mountains on horseback

Its 730 gms light, 430mm long. No marks on it except his own brand, an R inside a C. The handle is one he's made himself.

After he passed (early at only 48) his wife told me to go into his shop and take whatever I desired. It was a overwhelmingly emotional experience and I viewed his handmade saddles, briddles, and a huge array of horse and hunting gear. In the end I could only bring myself to take one item, and this tomahawk was it. Been a long time since I took it down from a dusty shelf but what memories it brings back. Rest well Clarky.
    Last edited by Tentman; 19-05-2021 at 09:29 PM.
    Rich007, Scouser, 7.62 and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffle View Post
    Just heard back from Tuatahi, apparently the team is looking into it. I will try and get someone there to sign up on this forum, then they can answer any questions direct. But they are pretty busy making axes, so we'll just see what happens. I am totally happy to relay any feedback from here.
    Also just wanted to clarify, the main purpose (IMO) for the bearded shape is to reduce weight but still retain a decent cutting edge length.
    From my research, it seems that the original point of the beard was that when they first started making iron (and probably bronze before that) axes 1000s of years ago, was to reduce the amount of metal needed and keep the larger cutting edge.
    Because iron and metals then were so incredibly precious, it made sense to use as little as possible. The bearded shape allows much less use of metal.
    And it has the happy side effect of reducing weight, and lowering the centre of gravity lower down the haft, for improved cutting efficiency.

If we remember our 5th form physics, a lighter object moving faster has more momentum or force than a heavier object moving slower, or something like that...

For all these reasons, bearded axes appear to have greater cutting efficiency than the standard basic wedge shape axe design that we are used to, which is more like the American felling axe.
    As usual, traditional designs honed over 1000s of years that have passed the test of time have survived for a reason.
    Nowadays, steel is cheap, so you can just make a big ole heavy axe head. As long as you don't need to walk around for days carrying it, that's fine. But if you need to carry it, I want the best cutting performance with the lowest weight

Never thought I would have learned so much about axes...
    Your comments about the bearded design reducing weight but maintaining a decent cutting edge length makes a lot of sense. Can’t say I like the look of them though, and they may not be as strong as a conventional axe head? But that tuatahi camp axe looks awesome!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

yeah, they do look a bit odd if the beard is really excessive, but I don't want that anyway. I don't think strength would be an issue though, there's still plenty of meat in it the way I want it. The really bearded axes have a very straight edge usually and are used for carpentry, hewing etc. For general purpose firewood processing and emergency shelter building, we're probably not cutting anything thicker than your arm. So a very big, heavy and strong axe head is overkill. Lightness and efficiency of chopping power are what we need IMO. After all, we're talking about an axe with a total weight around 1kg. If you want a real laser cutting chopper with a 1.5kg head just buy Tuatahi's new camp axe. I just think it's too heavy at just over 2kg for anyone that wants to carry it hunting, tramping etc. The best way to reduce weight while still maintaining decent cutting power is some kind of beard design, it's been a tried and tested axe shape for more than 1000 years

Name:  kiwi bush axe Trade Me.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  380.0 KBName:  finnish axe.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  62.7 KB

So far, these 3 axes I think have something pretty close to the shape I think offers the best compromise between the lightening benefit of the beard, but also leave enough meat in the head to be strong enough for our purposes. And not look really weird....

Can we get a show of hands of how many guys would be interested in a group buy if Tuatahi can make something along these lines?
    Handle length approx 19" (48cm)
    overall weight 1 - 1.2kg approx

I have suggested to Tuatahi that they offer this same axe head on a hatchet handle, say around 14" (36cm)

There is no guarantee of course that they are willing to move resources into a new design which is a bit off their usual patch, but if we have a committed group of buyers waiting that would probably make it more attractive to them
    As for price, I don't know. However, their new camp axe, which is a lot bigger at 1.5kg head and total weight just over 2kg, they are charging $254 for the head alone, or $302 for axe with handle fitted. Seems like a lot, but when you look at what foreign brands like Gransfor Bruk etc charge, it puts it in perspective. From the feedback I have read on forums overseas, the Tuatahi axes are regarded as the best of the best in their field (racing and work axes), and they think the pricing is cheap for what you get.

I imagine the price for this smaller model would be less, since it uses less materials. There will be a development cost I guess, but if we have 10 or more buyers waiting that should offset this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ahhhhhh crap, does this mean I need to save my pennies for a 3rd tuatahi.... the camp axe is great, yes its heavy but i didn't have to carry it far for this trip!