Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: Tuatahi axe project - small axe / hatchet for hunting, tramping, fishing etc

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    @Gruffle any updates from Tuatahi on how these are progressing?
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Patience is a virtue.... So I have been told. The axes I have ordered have been 2-3months, when ordering it says it could be longer. They are worth the wait
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @Gruffle any progress yet?
    hmmmmmmmm...............
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

Hey guys I want to ask one little help. Decided to post here as its thread ablout Tuatahi and their Axes and you guys know them and etc.

As Ive mentioned before I was going to order set of work tools from Tuatahi, so couodnt resist temptation and couldnt wait for their hatchet to be able for sale. Decided to make an order for their Work Axe (with wings) Camp Axe and M-Tooth Work Saw. yesterday Ive placed an order but havent got answer from them yet. Im going to pay via bank transfer and wrote them about it in note of my order and also emailed request for bank invoice. Havent recived any info from them yet, so before calling them decided to ask you guys to help me reaching them out as Im living in Georgia, Europe and calling to them is bit complicated for me.

So here is my order number #12710
    My name is Aleksandre Sarjveladze
    and contact email is mzovreteli13@gmail.com (which ive gave them and also with it ive emailed them)

Maybe my email got in spam or something like that so please any kind of help from you guys who live in NZ will be appriciated a lot. I just want them to reply answer my order, reply my email and give me an invoice so I can pay them as fast as posible, so they wouold proceed my order.

Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S

Not to stay off topic, waiting for their hatchet also, got some ca$h ready for it.

MSL
    You have been red flagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    You have been red flagged

Weird, and why? dont I deserve to know, or get an aswer from them?
    I mean if they are aware of anything or have any questions, shoudnt they answer my email and ask what they want to know?
    Honstly I think that is how logical outcome should be. Looks like I will have to call them at friday if they wont answer my email today..

Well with Customer support like that I would be canceling my order , but hay thats just me .

Quote Originally Posted by h7per View Post
    Hey guys I want to ask one little help. Decided to post here as its thread ablout Tuatahi and their Axes and you guys know them and etc.

As Ive mentioned before I was going to order set of work tools from Tuatahi, so couodnt resist temptation and couldnt wait for their hatchet to be able for sale. Decided to make an order for their Work Axe (with wings) Camp Axe and M-Tooth Work Saw. yesterday Ive placed an order but havent got answer from them yet. Im going to pay via bank transfer and wrote them about it in note of my order and also emailed request for bank invoice. Havent recived any info from them yet, so before calling them decided to ask you guys to help me reaching them out as Im living in Georgia, Europe and calling to them is bit complicated for me.

and contact email is mzovreteli13@gmail.com (which ive gave them and also with it ive emailed them)

Maybe my email got in spam or something like that so please any kind of help from you guys who live in NZ will be appriciated a lot. I just want them to reply answer my order, reply my email and give me an invoice so I can pay them as fast as posible, so they wouold proceed my order.

Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S

Not to stay off topic, waiting for their hatchet also, got some ca$h ready for it.
    Gidday - These guys are what most people would call a "cottage industry" and only work part time in their business. It might take them several days to address/clear orders, if you're patient I'm sure they'll get back to you. I think the "red flag" comment is probably a mis-understanding (on both sides). If you haven't heard from them in a few days PM me and I'll call them for you. Cheers Foster
    h7per likes this.

Gidday all, I have emailed Stu at Tuatahi today to ask whether they are going to make the small axe or not. I told him we have a bunch of guys ready to order. It's surprising because they got onto the first casting so quickly, May 20. But no more updates. I think basically they are just a very small outfit and don't have enough manpower to turn stuff over quickly. Everything is hand forged and hand made in-house. I did get the invoice for my camp axe after 3 months and they tell me they'll ship it within about a month. They are a good bunch, but I'm feeling a bit guilty about raising people's hopes for this small axe if they can't come through....
    223nut and h7per like this.

OK, heard back, not good news unfortunately:

"We will be going ahead with a smaller axe but at the moment it is on the back burner for at least 12 months as we have some other projects on the go at the moment.

We are on the look out for a forging screw press, do you or your forum buddies know the whereabouts of any?

When I have an update I will be sure to let you know."
    h7per likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffle View Post

"We will be going ahead with a smaller axe but at the moment it is on the back burner for at least 12 months as we have some other projects on the go at the moment.

We are on the look out for a forging screw press, do you or your forum buddies know the whereabouts of any?

Anyone have a forging screw press lying around? I don't even know WTF that is LOL......
    h7per likes this.

I have forwarded your details to Stu at Tuatahi, I'm sure they'll be in touch soon....

Originally Posted by h7per View Post

Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S

Last edited by Gruffle; 14-08-2021 at 11:39 AM.
    h7per likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffle View Post

Thanks for the update. A bit disappointing, but no-one's fault; not Tuatahi's and certainly not yours so no need to feel guilty!
    Personally, I probably won't wait because the 'at least 12 months' sounds pretty open ended to me. Also, I liked the specs and design you had outlined here and I think the longer the delay, the more likely the design will end up changing. Still, one to keep an eye out for in the future maybe.
    h7per likes this.

well today I went searching for a 2 1/2lb boys axe....between tomahawk and normal axe.......handle somewhere around 600-700mm was interesting to say the least. drove into Timaru...went placemakers/none warehouse/none mitre 10 $50 and handle although ash was pour shape and had flaws, had looked online before leaving home...came home and looked again,only on trademe...can buy new and have delivered for not much more than half store price...and have options of wood or fibreglass handle.
    want smaller axe for kindling...the Mrs to use...and for camping,in wagon etc.....my last one has dissapeared so time for new one.

Md good luck, I went hunting for a wooden handled big axe around invercargill, only option was farmlands - axe head casting looked bad, machine marks all over, handle was horrible shape. It would work but with a lot of reprofilig. 6shops later (garden centre and chainsaw shops all synthetic success at mitre 10, head was ok.... Handle needed less work, but a inferior bit of timber with grain and orientation.

Orders my first tuatahi after that trip!!?!
    Micky Duck likes this.

MSL
    Don’t suppose anyone has a spare tuatahi handle? Just went to order a few, but they’re out of stock. I guess they’ve not had a shipment of hickory for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Don’t suppose anyone has a spare tuatahi handle? Just went to order a few, but they’re out of stock. I guess they’ve not had a shipment of hickory for a while.

If you wont be able to find Tuatahi handle have you considered trying ochsenkopf handles? customize one for your needs and it will serve well, or its hard to get it in NZ?