Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: Tuatahi axe project - small axe / hatchet for hunting, tramping, fishing etc

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffle View Post
    Anyone have a forging screw press lying around? I don't even know WTF that is LOL......
    Its pretty costy forging press like hydraulic one, in USA you can find one for aroun 4-5 thousand USD..
    Importing one from USA or other country even china will face high fees Im afraid.. Damn thats worse situation than Ive expected but Im still ready to wait for their hatchet, because I believe in their quality.

Caretaker
    My firewood Kelly has a handle that I have never seen before or since

Would buy a bunch of them if I could find some

Name:  FB1D5743-6F02-4F3A-A661-818DC377EBE8.jpeg
Views: 408
Size:  3.44 MB
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

thats a store bought replacement handle...both my axes are very similar,try the likes of mitre 10 and placemakers.
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 16-08-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Caretaker
    I have another 4 pound Kelly Perfect here but it’s got a Ferrous handle for the really extreme jobs that require as much as it can give, I stretched heater hose over the handle to cushion the shock a little

It fits in my pack with the winching gear

One day I will restore the head to original with a timber handle and put it on the wall

Name:  4EDD549B-B539-4E86-AB50-2EBF4273E223.jpeg
Views: 455
Size:  3.15 MB
    BRADS and Micky Duck like this.

MSL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Caretaker
    Nice nice and nice

Regret, the axes we were provided with as a forestry woodsman, hand sharpened & it took all of a half a dozen files & a heap of hours to achieve the right shape so as not to jam, finished with a oil stone. They knocked over 6 year old pines, thinning in a couple of blows, awesome fun. Was a traditional blast from the past, all of us enjoyed it. Offered to buy these axes at the time but 99% of us were, so impoverished at the time they were beyond reach. Looking back, hence the regret.

MSL
    Have a couple other Kelly’s, and a ‘black prince’ Canadian. Had several others, but some other prick must’ve deserved them more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know whether, this Axe was bought like this or the grandfather who did some competition stuff, modified it. Name:  20210817_101759.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  875.2 KB
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Don't know whether, this Axe was bought like this or the grandfather who did some competition stuff, modified it. Attachment 175219
    Speed holes

Axe equivalent of a muzzle brake to reduce recoil
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    I have another 4 pound Kelly Perfect here but it’s got a Ferrous handle for the really extreme jobs that require as much as it can give, I stretched heater hose over the handle to cushion the shock a little

It fits in my pack with the winching gear

One day I will restore the head to original with a timber handle and put it on the wall

Attachment 175191
    That’s going to take a fair bit or work, will be interesting to see what you can do with it, looks like it’s taken a fair bit of abuse.

I won't be waiting 12 months for the Tuatahi small axe either, the deadline is a bit open ended for me....If they make one I'll certainly be interested, they are very good at what they do. In the meantime I'll probably buy a Husqvarna axe.

For anyone who is looking for smaller good quality axes at a fair price, I like the Husqvarna axes, they are sold widely in NZ in lawnmower shops etc.
    The Husqvarna axe heads are made by Swedish Hults Burk, now owned by Hultafors, and Husqvarna sells them under their own brand. The heads ae very good, but apparently the handles can be a bit variable, and the way they are hung is not always perfect. But if you find a shop that has a few in stock you can sort through them and find a good one. Or take what you can find then re-hang it yourself.
    https://www.thompsonmowers.co.nz/acc...769265-01.html
    https://www.thompsonmowers.co.nz/acc...769262-01.html

Bloody lockdown now, so plenty of time for internet browsing but can't actually go to a physical
    shop
    7mmsaum and dannyb like this.

I won't be waiting 12 months for the Tuatahi small axe either, the deadline is a bit open ended for me....If they make one I'll certainly be interested, they are very good at what they do. In the meantime I'll probably buy a Husqvarna axe.

For anyone who is looking for smaller good quality axes at a fair price, I like the Husqvarna axes, they are sold widely in NZ in lawnmower shops etc.
    The Husqvarna axe heads are made by Swedish Hults Burk, now owned by Hultafors, and Husqvarna sells them under their own brand. The heads ae very good, but apparently the handles can be a bit variable, and the way they are hung is not always perfect. But if you find a shop that has a few in stock you can sort through them and find a good one. Or take what you can find then re-hang it yourself.
    https://www.thompsonmowers.co.nz/acc...769265-01.html
    https://www.thompsonmowers.co.nz/acc...769262-01.html

Bloody lockdown now, so plenty of time for internet browsing but can't actually go to a physical
    shop
    In that case I would totally recommand Gransfors Bruk Axes, I dont know if you can find them in NZ but its widely avaible in Europe and therre are some re-sellers in USA. Axes are made in Sweden, from local steel and Gransfors Bruk forge is the oldest functioning one in Sweden. I personally do own several of their axes and love everything about them and have sold all my Husqvarna axes because Gransfors is way better in everything, steel, geometry, craftsmanship, handle material (grain) and ergonomics. Also Gransfors has huge variety of axes and traditional swedish cutting tools, here is my two cents about that subject.

Anyways 12 days has passed sience Ive placed my order on Tuatahi web-site, but sadly nobody contacted me yet, I've personally emailed them several times, also sent messags to their Facebook page but they just read it and no answer was sent back to me, also wrote message on one of their recent Facebook photos asking to answer me but still nobody reached me out, Ive also called them about 5 days ago or so, on their hot-line but there was only voicemail, so Ive left voice message them to send me an invoice for my order so I can pay via bank transfer, but nobody reached me out even after calling their contact number.
    So please guys help me reaching them out, 12 days ago Ive placed an order for their Work Axe (with wings), Camp Axe and M-Tooth Work Saw, my order number is #12710 so please tell Stu or somebody who is responsible to answer me on my email (mzovreteli13@gmail.com also this email was used while placing an order).
    Thanks guys!
    Stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by h7per View Post
    In that case I would totally recommand Gransfors Bruk Axes, I dont know if you can find them in NZ but its widely avaible in Europe and therre are some re-sellers in USA. Axes are made in Sweden, from local steel and Gransfors Bruk forge is the oldest functioning one in Sweden. I personally do own several of their axes and love everything about them and have sold all my Husqvarna axes because Gransfors is way better in everything, steel, geometry, craftsmanship, handle material (grain) and ergonomics. Also Gransfors has huge variety of axes and traditional swedish cutting tools, here is my two cents about that subject.

Anyways 12 days has passed sience Ive placed my order on Tuatahi web-site, but sadly nobody contacted me yet, I've personally emailed them several times, also sent messags to their Facebook page but they just read it and no answer was sent back to me, also wrote message on one of their recent Facebook photos asking to answer me but still nobody reached me out, Ive also called them about 5 days ago or so, on their hot-line but there was only voicemail, so Ive left voice message them to send me an invoice for my order so I can pay via bank transfer, but nobody reached me out even after calling their contact number.
    So please guys help me reaching them out, 12 days ago Ive placed an order for their Work Axe (with wings), Camp Axe and M-Tooth Work Saw, my order number is #12710 so please tell Stu or somebody who is responsible to answer me on my email (mzovreteli13@gmail.com also this email was used while placing an order).
    Thanks guys!
    Stay healthy.
    I didn't really want to get into this, but they are getting your emails, and they know who you are. They don't want to deal with you, and they apparently have their reasons. Not for me to judge, I know nothing about it. But I doubt you'll be getting any response

I didn't really want to get into this, but they are getting your emails, and they know who you are. They don't want to deal with you, and they apparently have their reasons. Not for me to judge, I know nothing about it. But I doubt you'll be getting any response
    not to start off-topic chat in your thread Ive sent an PM.
    I dont understand whats wrong with me or why they dont want to deal with me, also I dont understand why they arent answering me, overall they simply can answer and say that they dont wanna deal with me and explain reasons...