Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: What trekking poles everyone using?

What trekking poles everyone using?

Looking for some recommendations for foldable trekking poles which are suitable for hunting/off track travel. Will only be using a single pole, and I’m happy to carry something bit heavier in favour of durability. Budget round $200. Seem to be hundreds of brands and models out there….

Manuka Custom
    #DANNYCENT

macpac carbons are good as long as you keep the receipt, as you break one go back and get a replacement
    BRADS likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Bakail
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I got some Ali Express carbon poles about 5 years ago and they have been good. I prefer camlock as apposed to twist lock but recently picked up a pair of Leki Micro Vario poles (for a steal) and they seem good too. Combination of camlock and collapsible like a tent pole. They make great shooting sticks too.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Nothing will last like a good manuka hillstick. Seen too many trekking poles crap out.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600#2 View Post
    Nothing will last like a good manuka hillstick. Seen too many trekking poles crap out.
    If you use them like a hill stick they will fail.

I've just been using a pair of cheap Pioneer "New Continent" Carbon poles I got off aliexpress for a couple years now. They're light as and have held up well. I only use one for walking but take the pair as I don't use a tent anymore and can leave my tarp setup and still have a pole to get around with
    johnd, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    If you use them like a hill stick they will fail.
    I'm really hard on poles and have been through many to find some that simply won't fail.
    Leki alloy poles not the carbon ones strong as can kill possums, get hung up in rocks and they won't brake.
    I can recommend these
    https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/...ing-poles-pair

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    199p, Shearer and kukuwai like this.

Jus
    Leki makhulu 👌 fold up into short as bundles for the final stalk, light as, hunt most weekends and had them for over a year now. Can’t fault them, except I don’t like the snow feet on them so every now and then the tips get stuck in the ground if I’m on a walking track and I leave one behind haha I don’t use the straps over my wrists as if you slip you don’t have a hand to put down as it’s caught up in the air on the end of the pole. Light as hell too
    Shearer likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I just started to use walking poles. They've made walking easier for sure. I had wanted them as a option to double as a shooting stick. I have Black Diamond Alpine Carbon poles. I think there were a few on here who recommended them. The cork handles are nice. I think the foam or rubber handles don't review as well. They're super light but are higher cost compared to other options so won't make the $200 budget.
    I got mine from Germany https://www.exxpozed.co.uk/black-dia...ariant=1081784
    Shearer and BCOZ like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Pair of Leki Micro Vario Carbon.
    Nice light, Rated 140kg, easy to adjust length for up hill and down hill, Fold up for storage in my bag. I used them 1-2x most weeks on gravel and a mix of gravel/clay for 4-7 km. Saved myself from a rolled ankle last week, rolled my foot but was able to take my weight on the stick which stopped me taking a fall.
    Tips have worn very well.
    Down side is the top of the handle which I use in my Palms for down hills is very hard plastic, They are very rigid so it took a bit of getting used to as my previous sticks had a cork top and some form of elastomeric cushioning.
    The top handle area is angled forward which takes some pressure of the wrists and has worn well.

Down side is they can be nosy if you hit them against your barrel or something hard.
    Z

I grabbed these when I did the Te Araroa, taken them a couple times into the hills when hunting. Also use one as a pole on my single man ali-express tent.

https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/...40142979465314

Quote Originally Posted by useraccounts View Post
    I grabbed these when I did the Te Araroa, taken them a couple times into the hills when hunting. Also use one as a pole on my single man ali-express tent.

https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/...40142979465314
    The disadvantage with this system is that you can't adjust the height to use as shooting sticks like you can with camlocks.

I use Leki Sherpa XTG poles. They have the cam lock and I haven't had them fail on me, even with put under heavy load. I take at least one pole with me whenever I hunt now, makes packing out so much easier on the knees (if I ever manage to knock over a deer!).
    Shearer likes this.