Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Hunting with Trekking Poles

Hunting with Trekking Poles

Greetings all,
    I have been considering getting some trekking poles to help with my stability when carrying a pack for overnight trips. A chap and I were chatting about this at a NZDA meeting recently and thought the poles and a slung rifle might be a bit of a handful together. The Duleys mostly carry the rifle strapped to the pack. My pack had the little pouch thingy and the little Bergara would fit on it without sticking up like a flag pole so what is the thought on poles and rifles on packs?
    Regards Grandpamac.

I use them all the time and they are great for shooting off in high tussock as well
    norsk, BSA270, grandpamac and 1 others like this.

I use them, and dropping one down to a short height when glassing to rest the binos on, really helps
    GSP HUNTER, ebf, Shearer and 4 others like this.

Grandpamac, a mate of mine used to hunt with an Eberlestock pack that had a scabbard for his rifle which ran centrally between the harness and the pack itself. I carried this for him a few times and to be honest I didn’t really like it. A couple of times I slipped over and found it difficult to get back up as you couldn’t sit upright with a rifle stuck between you and your pack - you had to roll over onto your front and lift yourself up. He had a Tikka T3 with a Gunworks suppressor so was fairly long, might work better with your Bergara.

I often carry a set of quad sticks that double as a trekking pole and they are a godsend when descending a steep hill with a heavy pack.
    grandpamac likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by +Snoop View Post
    Hey, trekking poles are a no brainer for open/track work. They provide points of contact, save your ankles, help with a pack out, and great for tarp set up. I've got my rifle strapped to the side of the pack if motoring. Trekking poles go down a side pocket, they get pretty compact.
    Ditto, though nowadays one of the young fellas is carrying the rifle most of the time.
    grandpamac likes this.

I use “one” trekking pole as I find it helpful on downhill walking especially with a load, also I have a small one man tent that uses one trekking pole to erect and as Scottrods said handy for bingo work too.
    grandpamac likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Very helpful GPM. When doing big hunting trips where I strap my pack to my rifleI will carry a single trekking pole. Comes in handy for other things like tarps etc too. Good for the knees, balance, hips, energy savings..
    BSA270 and grandpamac like this.

Yup, i carry a carbon innorel tripod now for glassing and shooting off. One leg easily screws off to use as a trekking pole. Great for tops work too for setting up a fly
    grandpamac likes this.

Name:  20220312_092250.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  4.51 MB
    Bryan, Rich007, Fisherman and 8 others like this.

I've taken to using quad shooting sticks I bought from Cambridge. Went on a 'guided' meat hunt recently where the guide quietly but firmly suggested I leave them on the quad and shoot prone. Missed my first shot - I have never shot prone and dislike it, find it awkward at my age and build ( too fat lol), and generally lack confidence from that position. When the second opportunity arose I just grabbed ny sticks, had plenty of time to set up and nailed the shot. I still was given the message - sticks are best left at home Too noisy clacking together etc. Nevertheless I use them all the time now for goat and rabbit/hare shooting and they are brilliant for walking support. They take practice to bring into action smoothly and are no good for snap shooting. I tried a mono pole and a ski pole but found them too wobbly for me for shooting off - just could not nail a successful technique. But those quad sticks - brilliant!

Each to their own I guess.
    stuart and grandpamac like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

top of the south
    Rifle strapped to pack and one trekking pole until I get to my hunting ground.
    They are excellent for slippery creek crossings as well a steep slippery tussock.
    Bryan, grandpamac and Ftx325 like this.

Three or four contact points better than 2 on the ground.Especially on bumpy river beds edges.
    grandpamac likes this.

I have enough to carry without strapping my rifle to my pack as well.
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

Yep, Sticks. Could not do an over night fly or tent trip without using sticks.
    shorter trips and in bush I often only take 1 stick as I carry my rifle in my hand or on a shoulder sling, I often use the rifle as a second stick if negotiating large steps up or down hill. (Empty chamber).
    If walk in is a more open track or longer I will put my rifle on the back or side of my pack and use 2 sticks. This makes it harder to put the pack down as the rifle butt hangs down below the pack and the muzzle sticks up above your head when you bend over to duck under stuff.
    Has also cost me an animal as well once. 11am Dog indicated a pair of deer in a river and by the time I got the rifle unclipped and loaded they had crossed the river and were disappearing into the bush. (Got then the next morning in the same place
    Z)
    grandpamac likes this.

Greetings and thank you one and all,
    Your input has helped a great deal. I was initially thinking of using the poles mainly for overnight trips but now see there is much more to it. I bought my little Bergarra a few years back thinking I could carry it broken down in my pack but now see it is ideal for strapping it to the side. I will go pole hunting next time I am in town.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.