Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Hunting with Trekking Poles

Jus
    Going from not using poles at all to using 2 poles is a mind blowing improvement in my opinion. So much so after using them twice I now feel almost naked and a tad insecure without poles. I feel that strapping a rifle to a pack and using a pole per hand lessens greatly the chances of dropping your rifle or landing on it with a slip or fall as you are way less likely to skip or fall. Alloy poles flex more than carbon, carbon is more likely to shatter or snap than alloy if the pole ends up in a hole or wedged against your momentum. The weight difference is minuscule
    JoshC, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Interesting you don't use the hand loops? They take a huge amount of strain off your hands and wrists. The trick is to put your hands through the loop from the bottom and then hold the strap against the handle (if that makes sense). That way the loop is quite loose if you let the pole go but when using them they still support your wrist. I think Leki have some instructions somewhere.
    Agree! It's by far the best way to use the loops. All load is taken off hands and is spread around wrist. Black Diamond and some other brand instruction tags say to do this.

I use the Z poles style poles as there's no clamps to slide or fail. Have seen far too many clamp or twist style pole joints slip or completely fail.
    Z style is really quick to deploy and fold again when not wanted. Worst case with Z is the centre cord fails on hillside but that's solveable with tape around the joint and get back 100% strength then replace cord when home.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Curious - I'm not sure this is the right way to look at the question; there are plenty of people running and going to the gym etc who are actively stressing their joints (creating wear and tare etc - but recovering through adequate nutrition & sleep). If we were to take the "reduce stress on the body approach" - we would all be drinking smoothies through a tube; and not hunting at all..... The biggest benefit that I can see with using poles or other tools is the reduction in fatigue or reduction in injury risk; we can address injury risk through the use of poles, while reducing fatigue by carrying decent food
    Nah mate they don't actually recover very much. Each step whether walked or run or done on a machine wears the joints. The muscles may recover, the joints wear out. They only have so many steps in them. Use them judiciously I say! Get wheels and a motor lol
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

These are the shiz amongst the long distance tramping crowd Pacer Poles

Gone but not forgotten
    I have only ever used one pole but sounds like I should give two a go. After I lost my Leki, then my twist-lock stopped twisting, I bought a pair of lever-locks and one has never been used (but I still know where it is!).

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I have only ever used one pole but sounds like I should give two a go. After I lost my Leki, then my twist-lock stopped twisting, I bought a pair of lever-locks and one has never been used (but I still know where it is!).
    Lever locks are way better than the twist locks.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yes 1 gives stability, 2 give so much more, being able to use your arms and shoulders to take some load particularly on the ups and downs means you can go so much further and faster.
    Re Straps. I do understand the technique, and how they can unload the wrist. I have used the straps on the odd occasion but only on flat country. Yes having it only over half the hand and not the thumb does mean you can normally drop you hand out easily but I will disagree with many of you over using the strap. Not to say that in another 5 years my opinion may change. Yes I have had to stop and bend down and try and pick them up on the odd occasion after I have dropped one.
    I slipped in a shallow river crossing just after Xmas and was mighty pleased I was able to catch myself, Foot slipped on river slime and my stick was jambed in the rocks.
    Z

I might get myself at least one after reading this thread. Usually I use my rifle as a (very heavy) trekking pole to balance myself when doing the yards to and from hunting spots in steep areas and it gives my hands blisters. A proper pole or stick would probably make a world of difference so the rifle can just stay on my back.

Personally use one pole. Very rarely carry rifle slung .... not sure why, like to have it in hand. Blame the old school NCOs from my previous life maybe.

I also don't use the strap/hand loop, but not for any reason other than I hate stuff strapped to me.

Have a pretty mean one with a shooting cradle on top but yet to use it as it makes a fair bit of rattle. If I can dampen that somehow it would be perfect.

Initially I just brought some AliExpress "carbon" ones cheap to see if I liked the idea, ended up giving them to a mate to try. Long since upgraded (so has he, and since we both only use the one we went halves in some Gucci ones).

Waiting on knee replacement on left side and reconstruction on right and if carrying anything really without at least the one I very quickly notice the difference - especially downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Having been involved in sports as a participant and personal trainer for decades, I find this statement questionable and, as I'm a believer in science (real science, not FB, Twitter, 8chan science, Fox "News" etc) I propose an alternative viewpoint, supported by actual science and not uneducated belief;
    https://www.futurelearn.com/info/cou.../0/steps/25162
    Prefacing a statement such as you have made with the words "In my opinion" might help others evaluate your opinion. Also stating your medical and/or other experiences and qualifications, along with supporting statistically significant, peer reviewed articles of actual science, might help establish for others what credence could be given too your "Facts."
    https://www.polytechnique-insights.c...e%20left%20one.
    And, perhaps, though this is only my opinion, at 62, with no mobility issues despite many injuries, including broken bones, amongst other medical issues, and at round 70kg at 177cm and with 20 years as a personal trainer under my belt, I might know a little more about longevity in our very demanding past itme, though this is only conjecture, of course.
    Bottom line is, if you control your weight, eat well and exercise diligently, wearing out your joints prematurely is avoidable.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5830901/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811354/
    And exercise also helps one particular "joint" in a very "pointed" way.
    file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/01.CIR.86.2.494.pdf
    In short, science says "use it or lose it"
    Fact, not opinion.
    Yeah but sometimes injury is unexpected

Not going to disagree with you huntfisheat re science but I think you are being a bit hash on some of us with joint issues.
    Some of us have damage relating to accidents, in my case a tooth abscess as a child caused blood poisoning which stopped the blood flow to the head of the femur. (don't ask me how thats just what I was told)
    I also know that if I lost 10 kg and got back to what I weighted when I was 30 that's 10kg I'm not lugging up a hill or hammering my joint with on the way down.

My main problem is I enjoy eating too much so my excersie just enabled me to eat more and maybe lose a couple of kg's.
    Z
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Having been involved in sports as a participant and personal trainer for decades, I find this statement questionable and, as I'm a believer in science (real science, not FB, Twitter, 8chan science, Fox "News" etc) I propose an alternative viewpoint, supported by actual science and not uneducated belief;
    https://www.futurelearn.com/info/cou.../0/steps/25162
    Prefacing a statement such as you have made with the words "In my opinion" might help others evaluate your opinion. Also stating your medical and/or other experiences and qualifications, along with supporting statistically significant, peer reviewed articles of actual science, might help establish for others what credence could be given too your "Facts."
    https://www.polytechnique-insights.c...e%20left%20one.
    And, perhaps, though this is only my opinion, at 62, with no mobility issues despite many injuries, including broken bones, amongst other medical issues, and at round 70kg at 177cm and with 20 years as a personal trainer under my belt, I might know a little more about longevity in our very demanding past itme, though this is only conjecture, of course.
    Bottom line is, if you control your weight, eat well and exercise diligently, wearing out your joints prematurely is avoidable.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5830901/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811354/
    And exercise also helps one particular "joint" in a very "pointed" way.
    file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/01.CIR.86.2.494.pdf
    In short, science says "use it or lose it"
    Fact, not opinion.
    Mate lighten up. Clearly my post was intended to be humorous. But thks for your CV. Noted.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

having used both trekking poles and a bloody great manuka stick my thoughts are that any stick is better than none.

two poles are absolutely more stable on a track but in the bush I prefer one hand free.

with the manuka stick it comes up to about my shoulder and when I'm coming down a hill I will hold it in both hands like an oar and really lean hard on it to take my weight. works pretty well, is cheaper than a pole and it has never broke underneath me unlike several collapsible poles I have had
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    having used both trekking poles and a bloody great manuka stick my thoughts are that any stick is better than none.

two poles are absolutely more stable on a track but in the bush I prefer one hand free.

with the manuka stick it comes up to about my shoulder and when I'm coming down a hill I will hold it in both hands like an oar and really lean hard on it to take my weight. works pretty well, is cheaper than a pole and it has never broke underneath me unlike several collapsible poles I have had
    With the correct grip, a mustering stick actually provides suspension when coming down hill. Never straighten the knees, always keep them unlocked when descending

I use mine extensively, stated with one when I had my knee opp and now use two is more even and efficient travel in openish terrain, rocky rivers and streams in my experience. In stalking hunting mode I use one and rifle in other. Another thing is using them push vegetation away eg bush lawyer, blackberry stinging nettle etc, and you not senting those areas with the sweat and oils on your hands. As others have said blood good for glassing binos on and shooting sticks.