Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Hunting with Trekking Poles

So after reading this thread I went and brought one to try, Done about a few km around some hills and a bit of bush bashing and am sold on the idea! Cheers!
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

yep poles are great- been using one for 8 years.

Waiting for Quick Stix to ship to NZ. Great idea for hunting with 2 trekking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nath7 View Post
    So after reading this thread I went and brought one to try, Done about a few km around some hills and a bit of bush bashing and am sold on the idea! Cheers!
    What did you get?

Greetings All,
    Thanks for your input. Picked up some poles from Katmandu (on sale) the other day and took one for a wee walk in the Kawekas this morning. It was not raining but the track was greasy and the poles helped a lot, especially downhill. During one of my Grandpa rests I was thinking about how they could be used as a shooting rest. I found that resting the pole against my knee with my left hand on top gave a pretty steady rest for my imaginary rifle. An imaginary deer would have been in trouble but a real one not so much. Must take the little Bergara next time.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    tikka, bumblefoot and 20 Bore like this.

Probably 30%-40% of my sitting shots are off my trekking poles. I just loop the leash over the opposite pole and vice versa.

RV1
    That's clever - I like that. I first hiked with poles late last year - what a revelation. I'll be taking them on my next hunt.

MB
    I made a "pole" out of a broomstick and bits and pieces. Gave it a go yesterday. It was actually quite useful in the bush, especially when coming down steepish terrain covered with lose dirt. Pole made travel quieter, better than slipping and loosing my footing. I put a lot of pressure on the top of the stick, pushing straight down in to the dirt. Not sure how flash trekking poles would cope with the same treatment?

As for the hunting side of things, with the rifle on my shoulder, it was obviously no problem. When close to an animal, had the rifle in one hand and the pole in the other. Laid the pole down when getting in to position to take a shot. Can see it getting lost if I do that a lot. Wouldn't want it in very dense bush, but overall, I think it's a win.

tikka and Micky Duck like this.

I walk, hunt 10-15 km on clay tracks locally most days, only use one, find it mighty, haven't tried it off tracks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I made a "pole" out of a broomstick and bits and pieces. Gave it a go yesterday. It was actually quite useful in the bush, especially when coming down steepish terrain covered with lose dirt. Pole made travel quieter, better than slipping and loosing my footing. I put a lot of pressure on the top of the stick, pushing straight down in to the dirt. Not sure how flash trekking poles would cope with the same treatment?

As for the hunting side of things, with the rifle on my shoulder, it was obviously no problem. When close to an animal, had the rifle in one hand and the pole in the other. Laid the pole down when getting in to position to take a shot. Can see it getting lost if I do that a lot. Wouldn't want it in very dense bush, but overall, I think it's a win.

A bit of floro paint would make it more visual, had a Svord pig sticker with a pink handle, never had to worry when it ended in leaf litter.
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

"As for the hunting side of things, with the rifle on my shoulder, it was obviously no problem. When close to an animal, had the rifle in one hand and the pole in the other. Laid the pole down when getting in to position to take a shot. Can see it getting lost if I do that a lot. Wouldn't want it in very dense bush, but overall, I think it's a win".

Try holding the rifle fore end and the top of the pole in your non trigger hand to steady yourself for the shot.
    tetawa, Micky Duck and MB like this.

that works with a manuka pole/hill stick too,except you hold side of pole with smaller fingers and stock with palm and longer fingers n thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Probably 30%-40% of my sitting shots are off my trekking poles. I just loop the leash over the opposite pole and vice versa.

I will be giving that a go !!!
    Cheers for the tip
    Be really good when the tussock is too high for the bipod I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Try holding the rifle fore end and the top of the pole in your non trigger hand to steady yourself for the shot.
    Cheers, I'll give it a go, but not in that bit of bush. I had to climb over the fallen tree in the photo, plus two others. Ended up laying on the last tree and shooting the animal almost straight down from above!

Just got one from Macpac seems to go good for the proce
    Feral likes this.