Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Hunting with Trekking Poles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings and thank you one and all,
    Your input has helped a great deal. I was initially thinking of using the poles mainly for overnight trips but now see there is much more to it. I bought my little Bergarra a few years back thinking I could carry it broken down in my pack but now see it is ideal for strapping it to the side. I will go pole hunting next time I am in town.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    No one has mentioned 'Mustering Sticks' ? There is nothing that a Trekking pole can do coming down hill, sidehilling or crossing rivers etc that a mustering stick cant do much better. The TP only has an advantage going up hill because there are two of them
    Husky1600 likes this.

I use a mustering stick on open hill country and strap my rifle to the side of the pack. Balance is not my strong point so I rely of the stick a lot whether sidling, going up or down. I saw a video last night of a very lightweight tent from the UK that uses the trekking pole as it's only pole, looked quite interesting. Anyone know an any of those available in NZ?
    Moa Hunter and Bobba like this.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Bolt View Post
    I use a mustering stick on open hill country and strap my rifle to the side of the pack. Balance is not my strong point so I rely of the stick a lot whether sidling, going up or down. I saw a video last night of a very lightweight tent from the UK that uses the trekking pole as it's only pole, looked quite interesting. Anyone know an any of those available in NZ?
    There are quite a few brands that can use a single walking pole. I've been considering one for a while. Intent outdoors have a cheaper one and Kuiu looks good.
    stuart likes this.

I've started using both a trekking pole and rifle scabbard in combination.

The following trekking pole weighs next to nothing and collapses down very small to fit in your back pack whilst hunting and you don't need it. Then when i get to anything steep, slippery or hairy in any way i strap the rifle to my pack and pull out the pole. If i've finished hunting and just on my way back to the carpark/hut then i'll do likewise. Helps immensely when you have a heavy pack.

I'll also be trialing a ice axe on my next tops trip or when in the really steep stuff. Will use it in exactly the same manner as the pole.

https://www.kathmandu.co.nz/gear/cam...ml?colour=3381 - (on special these drop to $70 odd from memory)

https://cactusoutdoor.co.nz/products/rifle-scabbard - (15% off these at the moment)

I've used a hill stick for years, got plenty of them sitting aside for when I wear the next one out. After 35 years of guiding I've seen clients bring all sorts of trekking poles to use when either fishing or hunting. And I've yet to see any that survive long enough to justify the ridiculous price you pay for them. None of them will stand up to the use and leverage that a good Manuka stick will take. When I was fishing guiding it got so bad that I would refuse to allow a client to use a trekking pole cos they're also so bloody noisy! tink, tink, tink all the way up the bloody river. Dont get that with a good ol' Manuka hill stick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    I've used a hill stick for years, got plenty of them sitting aside for when I wear the next one out. After 35 years of guiding I've seen clients bring all sorts of trekking poles to use when either fishing or hunting. And I've yet to see any that survive long enough to justify the ridiculous price you pay for them. None of them will stand up to the use and leverage that a good Manuka stick will take. When I was fishing guiding it got so bad that I would refuse to allow a client to use a trekking pole cos they're also so bloody noisy! tink, tink, tink all the way up the bloody river. Dont get that with a good ol' Manuka hill stick.
    I use a mustering stick / hill stick too, the problem with them is that there are learned techniques for using them that cannot be conveyed here by written words - a person needs shown how to use one correctly and the correct grips or way to hold it and then they need to practice. But once they have a good hill stick and mastered the 'way' a trekking pole in comparison is a poor choice
    Husky1600 likes this.

If pole shopping, things to consider.
    Weight
    Adjustability. I extend mine out a bit for down hill.
    Sound, some really make a lot of noise if you hit something when off track, rifle barrel, hard dry stick, stone etc.
    Shock absorbing. My First set had this and I miss it in my new Leki carbon fancy all bells and whistles.
    An angled hand grip can make them easyier on your wrists.
    Rounded top so when going down hill the palm of your hand is over the top of the pole so you can reach forward and down over steps.
    Never use the hand loops. (well almost never.) one day you will slip and need to put a hand out to land on. Cant do this if your pole is in the ground and your hand is in the loop.

My old carbon Fairydown poles had Cork handles, built in shock absorbers, steel tips worn down and the heavy carbon body was quiet.
    My new leki pols are very light, the angled hand grip is nicer and the adjustment system is much better and more secure, get replaceable tungsten tips. Down side is they are noisier and the top of the pole is smaller and harder so less comfortable on downhills.

I have a dodgy hip one side and the knee on the other side is getting piss-off with having to do extra work over the last number of years. Surgeon wants me to hang off replacements for a while if I can to avoid having to come back off a third replacement which they may not be able to do. Hence I work my sticks hard particularly on down hills.
    Z
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    If pole shopping, things to consider.
    Weight
    Adjustability. I extend mine out a bit for down hill.
    Sound, some really make a lot of noise if you hit something when off track, rifle barrel, hard dry stick, stone etc.
    Shock absorbing. My First set had this and I miss it in my new Leki carbon fancy all bells and whistles.
    An angled hand grip can make them easyier on your wrists.
    Rounded top so when going down hill the palm of your hand is over the top of the pole so you can reach forward and down over steps.
    Never use the hand loops. (well almost never.) one day you will slip and need to put a hand out to land on. Cant do this if your pole is in the ground and your hand is in the loop.

My old carbon Fairydown poles had Cork handles, built in shock absorbers, steel tips worn down and the heavy carbon body was quiet.
    My new leki pols are very light, the angled hand grip is nicer and the adjustment system is much better and more secure, get replaceable tungsten tips. Down side is they are noisier and the top of the pole is smaller and harder so less comfortable on downhills.

I have a dodgy hip one side and the knee on the other side is getting piss-off with having to do extra work over the last number of years. Surgeon wants me to hang off replacements for a while if I can to avoid having to come back off a third replacement which they may not be able to do. Hence I work my sticks hard particularly on down hills.
    Z
    Interesting you don't use the hand loops? They take a huge amount of strain off your hands and wrists. The trick is to put your hands through the loop from the bottom and then hold the strap against the handle (if that makes sense). That way the loop is quite loose if you let the pole go but when using them they still support your wrist. I think Leki have some instructions somewhere.
    BRADS, stuart, uk_exile and 1 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I used to laugh at all the people walking with their little sticks. Then I did the Oxfam Trail walker a few years ago and that changed my tune pretty quickly. I was at about the 60km mark and started getting serious cramps up both quads, and my hip flexors were getting very sore. I had brought a pair of sticks because they were on the list of gear I ‘needed’. Next pit stop I pulled them out, and the pain and cramping went away almost immediately. I now take them on every hunt. As others have said they are invaluable for negotiating tricky/slippery terrain, especially with a heavy pack on!
    imaca likes this.

I am been using poles for a few years now (two knee operations and a hip on the way out) and ALWAYS use the hand loops and couldn't imagine not using them. It's not like I never fall over either ...
    Also I have a couple of loops of bungee cord with cord locks attached to my pack shoulder strap and hip belt and can stow one or both my poles while on the move and they are tucked up out of the way. Handy if you are doing some serious bush bashing or climbing around in some bluffs.
    I have been getting good mileage out of the alloy Mountain King ones - made in the UK and while probably not the lightest have taken plenty of abuse without any issues.

top of the south
    I did read a review on them the guy worked it out if your poles take a couple of kgs wieght each step and you do 20,000 steps for the day it saves about 40,000 kgs on your joints for the day plus the extra stability

Quote Originally Posted by top of the south View Post
    I did read a review on them the guy worked it out if your poles take a couple of kgs wieght each step and you do 20,000 steps for the day it saves about 40,000 kgs on your joints for the day plus the extra stability
    Curious - I'm not sure this is the right way to look at the question; there are plenty of people running and going to the gym etc who are actively stressing their joints (creating wear and tare etc - but recovering through adequate nutrition & sleep). If we were to take the "reduce stress on the body approach" - we would all be drinking smoothies through a tube; and not hunting at all..... The biggest benefit that I can see with using poles or other tools is the reduction in fatigue or reduction in injury risk; we can address injury risk through the use of poles, while reducing fatigue by carrying decent food
    BRADS likes this.

Reading with interest- I have been using one pole with a modified top to act as shooting rest. Use it for tops hunting trips mostly. As others have stated provides added stability in steep stuff, sidling, down hill and river crossings. Don’t take it bush hunting too noisy. But the pole is ali not CF so that probably accounts for more noise? I rule out 2 poles cos it seems like too much extra crap to lug around?
    Based on info above I have several questions
    How much difference in energy gain is 2 poles over one ? And how much benefit from single pole ?
    Are CF poles quiet ? Strong ? Do they handle a solid impact ? They are expensive ��

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Reading with interest- I have been using one pole with a modified top to act as shooting rest. Use it for tops hunting trips mostly. As others have stated provides added stability in steep stuff, sidling, down hill and river crossings. Don’t take it bush hunting too noisy. But the pole is ali not CF so that probably accounts for more noise? I rule out 2 poles cos it seems like too much extra crap to lug around?
    Based on info above I have several questions
    How much difference in energy gain is 2 poles over one ? And how much benefit from single pole ?
    Are CF poles quiet ? Strong ? Do they handle a solid impact ? They are expensive ��
    IMO once you have used 2 poles you would not go back to one. One is good for stability when crossing rivers (but not as good as 2) or sidling but does little as far as energy gain goes when walking. I have a pair of CF poles and an alloy pair an honestly don't notice much difference. If you don't need them, in the bush for example, just collapse them and put them in/on your pack.
    RV1 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Only using one pole seems a bit limiting in a lot of scenarios TBH I probably use both 90% of the time.
    Personally I wouldn't use carbon fibre poles