Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Quackers
  • 4 Post By Johnny Utah
  • 2 Post By csmiffy

Thread: 410 no toxic options

I know a dog that started an organic coffee store

410 no toxic options

Hey has anyone got any ideas or solutions to meet the nontoxic 410 ammo regs for the up-coming season? I hadn't been paying much attention and missed this point cannot find any retailers that know of, or can get it in bar one who said federal do a tungsten one @ about $140 a box does not slab and would have to order it over. what's the bloody point of pushing down these regs if they cannot reasonably be meet. have a couple of young ones getting into it still using the small gauge. any ideas guys ?

buy a box of super expensive .12ga heavi shot..rob the pellets and make 2 and a bit boxes of .410 ..not hard to refold crimps by hand,add dob og glue if necessary,break open guns very forgiving.
    and yes its a shit move but was always going to happen once a certain retailer decided to import and sell semiauto .410s to side step rules..
    we only got the 410 exemption for just what you describe.
    your next move is .12ga with 30grm loads..they still kill well,recoil isnt bad but are still LOUD being fast steel shot loadings.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    buy a box of super expensive .12ga heavi shot..rob the pellets and make 2 and a bit boxes of .410 ..not hard to refold crimps by hand,add dob og glue if necessary,break open guns very forgiving.
    and yes its a shit move but was always going to happen once a certain retailer decided to import and sell semiauto .410s to side step rules..
    we only got the 410 exemption for just what you describe.
    your next move is .12ga with 30grm loads..they still kill well,recoil isnt bad but are still LOUD being fast steel shot loadings.
    Could be asking for trouble if you are not also replacing the wads with proper ones for heavy shot as it does unpleasant things if comes into contact with gun barrels.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

yeah, it's my bad not keeping up to date, was all new news to me , sounds like that's the best option make a few up myself as you say how about the fixxed choke might need a reem also?
    would like to keep on with the wee gun as the size proportions of it fit them perfectly at the moment as its seems to be built for the little shooters.
    what was the story with semi auto what rules did it get around??

my bad..the other option...slightly lighter than lead....starts with B??? bismuth???
    dont touch your choke....tighter the better in .410 as small payload means 25 yards is about it...open chokes and patter ngets really thin really quick,3" shells give you 3/4oz payload 2 1/2" is only 1/2 oz
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 16-03-2024 at 03:26 PM.

410 was left as option for kids...and the few older shooters who used them..MOST (I would guess 99.9%) of .410s in the country 10 years ago were either single or doubles...
    when the 20ga was exempt , loads of 20ga semis were sold/bought.... so folks could still use lead...and they bought heaps and fired off just as much lead as before with loads over an oz..so it got canned pretty quickly.
    once the 20ga went to steel,the appeal of semi .20ga is gone as just as well off if not better off to use .12ga with same payload at same velocity cheaper all around.
    that left the wee .410 as only option to still use lead shot....SOME folks then bought the semi versions of it into country..there were some that LOOKED just like an AK47 being sold in last few years...no guesses as to by whom.it meant the REASON for the exemption was being ignored so it too got canned...those playing nice once again got shafted because of the few doing otherwise.
    outlander likes this.

Bismuth shot is your "friend" in subgauges same as lead wrt hardness, nearly the same weight per pellet. Simply load as for lead and use bismuth. Gunworks have it at $80 per kg that'll make around 40 3/4 oz loads. Of course this assumes you have the proper powders, wads and a 410 press

Rodger that

cheers for that

Yeah either empty some shells or buy some bismuth .I loaded some bismuth last year .deadly in ducks .tbh with the ones close in it minced up the meat .I was shooting around 35grams of bismuth with w540 powder.or in think hs6 or 7 equivalent .for the 410 it's ridiculous they banned the lead .I did hear they are reviewing the whole lead ban thing .
    Micky Duck likes this.

It's an old debate that got so toxic at the now gone Fishinhunt forum.

Many of us are reluctant to pick the scab as there seems to be no middle ground between the "All lead is bad zealots", and the sensible "lead can be used safely and is the most ethical killer" (amongst other reasons).

Yeah, I'm not interested in that side of the debate. Only really worried how we can meet the regulation and keep the kids shooting with some practical solutions from those on here.
    I did just see this from the fish and game email today so will follow up with local shop and see if this in fact the case as it wasn't last week.
    " *
    .410 ammo
    For those looking for non-toxic .410 shot, *ammunition importers NIOA have let us know that only just over half of their shipment has been pre-sold.
    So, there is still an opportunity for those wanting to get their orders in for when the shipment arrives in early April.

When the Minister of Conservation from the previous government removed the exemption for .410 lead shot in early 2023, the Minister also considered the banning of .410’s for waterfowl hunting.

Thanks to the efforts of NIOA in sourcing non-toxic bismuth and tungsten-super shot ammunition, that has meant that was averted.

So, for those who use a .410, please support the efforts of NIOA by getting in with your orders for non-toxic shot."

rusl, mikee, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

All the reading I have done says bismuth patterns like lead however pure TSS loads pattern really really tight. Just something to be aware of I guess.

Seems in US, water fowl handloaders "duplex" their TSS with steel on top which opens out the patterns, while turkey hunters load straight TSS 9's which clobber turkeys at silly distances for a .410
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yeah beating a dead horse but they should've left 410s as lead.
    Not enough out there to make bugger all difference and no one in there right mind would prefer one over even the original steel loads just so they could use lead.
    Already dear as poison to shoot let alone the new stuff.
    But yes the new tungsten stuff is meant to be absolutely amazing even if it's more expensive than a Flux capacitor
    Rant over
    Carbine and Got-ya like this.