Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Crossing show lines

Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post
    I mean no disrespect but breeding rabbiters isn't like breeding bird dogs. Rabbiters need to be bred/selected for a relatively small number of traits. Bird dog breeding, particularly the versatiles requires selection for a huge number of traits.
    I would agree with Ryan 100 % on this , there are many things in the ability frame work and temperament that must be recognized and breed for !!

Upnorth Uplander is a good hunter of birds and has no problem with the mix "for only closer hunting " ? opinion on this Z or in general has it or do you think it isnt the hindrance we like to believe it is .

Now field trialing that dog may be very hard though!!!!! ????
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

the cross i have been talking about was only done for looks, the breeder wanted a black dog to show.

No I don;t have Lab, I have a lab in for training currently. Personally I run spaniels.

I train whatever comes through the gate, primarily gundog breeds but not always. New Zealand Gundogs. is my website.

My thoughts on the crosses is they are often extremely good dogs. (Mutt's not show/working crosses) but again, it's dependent on the parent selection whether you get all of the traits you want. While I see many crosses which are very capable I have never seen one better than the best of the pure breeds made to make it.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP;54053 [B
    I mean no disrespect but breeding rabbiters isn't like breeding bird dogs.[/B] Bird dog breeding, particularly the versatiles requires selection for a huge number of traits.
    I find that rather amusing. Done much of it? It is in fact one of the harder ones to do as so much is expected of them.
    Kill ferrets, BUT not mine
    Range long in open ground
    Don't range in tight ground
    Retrieve is very handy
    Kill cats
    Don't touch possums
    Bail pigs if I say so
    Indicate live holes
    Don't touch dead shit (this is hardest of the lot)
    DO NOT bark in the kennels
    Bark when onto something

If your good enough come deer stalking with me, but don't chase them!
    Dougie likes this.

Versatiles have to be capable of all of that plus in addition retrieving isn't just handy, it's a requirement that they do it very well with a soft mouth. In addition when breeding you have to consider pointing instinct, bird handling, water work, and tracking.

Ejected
    hahahahaha All the rabbit dogs point if you can read them properly, tracking, hahahahahahahaaaaa standard procedure!!

im getting one of Wirehunt dogs to field trial with -they do it all at half the price

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Upnorth Uplander is a good hunter of birds and has no problem with the mix "for only closer hunting " ? opinion on this Z or in general has it or do you think it isnt the hindrance we like to believe it is
    The thing is, you have to look at the dogs in question. Uplander had the half Irish bitch with him for a season or two, he knows her performance. I have seen her in person also, she is a hard running bitch, big and fast. Those in the know reckon she is better than her full work blooded dam. I think his male dog of the older NZ working lines, who I was fortunate enough to have had the pleasure of shooting over this season, would go well over her. While not a mating I would do, things can only improve, being 3/4 work.

As a side note, she was in turn mated to another show dog, so sadly those pups were unfortunately 3/4 show. I have seen pups from this mating as well; respectfully all I will say is, is that they a far cry from thier Irish FTCH ancestors. Two matings is all it took
    Last edited by Pointer; 31-10-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    with what type of dog mikee and what kind of cover.
    2 Pointers and where ever we are, generally riverbeds, broken cover and some open paddocks. Versatile's would probably be better suited to the type of ground we normally stroll but hey I prefer the pointer(s)
    Both our dogs are from Chesterhope if it means anything to you, means nothing to us, except they are pointer breeders (apparently good show lines).
    Dogs are brother and sister (yes was a mistake) so both fixed

I am enjoying the post but wish we had many more that could share their thoughts but thank you guys for sharing your thoughts even if they run against the grain of us purist working lines people of which I am one .

Why, are you not hearing what you want to hear? Pretty queer statement

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    2 Pointers and where ever we are, generally riverbeds, broken cover and some open paddocks. Versatile's would probably be better suited to the type of ground we normally stroll but hey I prefer the pointer(s)
    Both our dogs are from Chesterhope if it means anything to you, means nothing to us, except they are pointer breeders (apparently good show lines).
    Dogs are brother and sister (yes was a mistake) so both fixed
    Same here. Our dogs will go all day and go spastic if they dont get a real long work out each week.Love the breed. Unbelievable temperament. Not a purist because they are hunting dogs.

Te Rei, what do you have to compare them to?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Why, are you not hearing what you want to hear? Pretty queer statement
    There is no right or wrong answer only ones views and opinions and experiences which we are hearing which are interesting and evolve discussion amongst us all

just the "us purist working lines people" made me chuckle