Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: duck caller

got a sure-shot 700 years ago. That goes well. The old Olt 66's were a good caller.
    Funnily enough I couldn't find the sureshot as It was with a bunch of stuff and hadn't used it in 12+years so I bought one of those flexy synthetics from humping and Fisting Only about 40 bucks and sounds very good. I then found the sureshot so I had both. I went to find them to see what they were for this comment but I could only find the old one not the new one which is strange as they should've been together.

Cupped Wing 'The Mutt' double reed callers are great. Made in the BOP and good quality. Got one added to my collection a few years back (when they were a a bit cheaper) and its now my most used caller.

Got this one, but there are other options that are cheaper as well:
    https://broncos.co.nz/hunting/huntin...t-nuclear-lime
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    who needs a name??? find one that YOU like and go down to the local duckpond with a loaf of bread and start talking to the old biddies,they will soon tell you when you get it right and they will shut up when you dont....quiet is good... very very quiet is even better,the 3 callers I mentioned will all whisper to close ducks,you will call in and kill more ducks with a single quack done right than any amount of loud wrong notes.
    That's sort of what I did with the H+F jobbie. Took it outside and tried it out along with some others.
    Soft feeding chuckles but didnt break up on loud highball calls. Only a small caller so has to be different to the old wooden one but I reckon ity had just as good a tone as some dearer ones.

Had couple of flextone double reed calls for several years. When mallards are leery I blow both together. They cant resist those four reeds all going in sync.

JJ Lares do some good ones and if you're lucky enough to find a Jeff Foiles caller named "the legend" then buy it on the spot

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    A friends son has just started making them High Hail or something. They look absolutely amazing and are similar in sounds to a Hammond. Not budget but then quality very really is. Will see if I can find Shanes page.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I have an assortment -i vary the use to the situation .however last year i was very fortunate to come across on TM the old rubber bellowed scotch call (my father s type in the 60s)-it forms part of my collection cant wait to give it a go.
    Ihave a couple of olts which give big beautiful mellow sounds ,a couple of acrylics -a more strident raspy sound and even a drake call -cant blow it to save myself -mate is a bloody cracker at it.
    funny thing is a few years ago had a colony of mallards on our front lawn(acorns)and one day decided to try a caller or two.blew one and three hens spun round hissing and if i understand duckese inviting me to" shove it where the sun dont shine". that colomny comes and goes from its base not 200m away .now im in the new house ,they often sail over returning to base after a feed and ive had occasions where ive had em circle me 2-3times in response to my calling (crap as it is).

Those scotch callers are good for the feeding chuckle. I remember trying it out to get the quacks going but got sick of that. Took it out of the rubber bellows part and reset the reed so I could use it conventionally. Still not as good as the other ones I got later