Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mm tragic

Thread: Lake Ngaroto?

Lake Ngaroto?

Looking for spots a bit closer to home for quick evening hunts with my boy,I live in ngahinapouri and have been having to travel to Huntly for most of my hunting which is to far for a couple of hours after work,has anyone heard how Ngaroto is going this year?went for a paddle in the Canadian canoe about 15yrs ago and it was a ghost town as far as bird numbers go..he is yet to shoot his first duck on the wing and the more opportunity I can get him out the better and the wife doesn’t mind us going after work as Saturdays are taken up with kids sports so off the calendar after opening weekend. Thanks

Have you hit up any dairy farms near you, were always a good place for an evening hunt especially if their feeding out maize.

@The bomb; just had a chat might a mate who lives within eye and ear shot of one of the Waipa lakes. His thoughts are the lake Ngaroto isn't an ideal place for a young fella to try and get his first bird on the wing as it is very competitive shooting especially in the weekend.
    There are other Waipa lakes that would be better. You are supposed to get a permit from Waipa council to shoot them which is no biggy but something I didn't know and after 7am you are allowed to occupy any stand not already occupied.
    Today's conditions are ideal for shooting the lakes. Evening not so much.
    That said the Waipa itself holds a lot of ducks and most cocky's aren't to precious about you shooting the odd duck.
    Hope this helps.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I went a month or two ago. not many ducks around although we were there for some bait (koi carp)

Hi There. There is plenty of good duck hunting around the Ngahinapouri area i used to live in Paterangi many years ago the mangotama stream is one place you could try and also lake Mangakawere(krippners lake) is another place you could try it used to be a santuary lake but is not now. Cheers.

Had a. Look at ngaroto today,whitecaps all over,lots of flooded paddocks to the south of the lake where the birds were going into.couldn’t have paddled the canoe in the weather today and most of the kaimais I looked at from the walking track can only be accessed by boat.