Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: sub gauge lead at ellesmere

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Come out with me if you want , we can fill the lake from my stand with as much lead as we like ! We may have to draw straws on whose dog , two GSP s in a maimai and going to work
    And to the fish and game "troll "! As I read his first post he was informing us , makes you look like a complete fucking moron !

i appreciate the offer gsp but we have a rather interesting river pond or 2 but please consider it reciprocated if you find yourself down rakaia way twiddling your trigger finger
    and yes i think 2 gsp,s would would require a higher grade of anti whine hearing protection tho mine doesnt have an aggressive bone in his body he,s about as impatient for the first bit of action as a gsp could be. 1st couple under his belt and he settles back to shivering like its his last day on earthas a aside tho what size neoprene suit fits yours??i couldnt bear a repeat of his 1st retrieve of the day at boggy a year or so back when he squealed about how cold the water was all the way to the parrie and only the bird in his gob kept him from doing the same on the way back[it was chilly mind]i did think it unwise to remind the retarded rodent that perhaps tearing of his wetsuit at every opportunity and eventually losing it was his own fn fault and wrecking the spare older model served him bloody right. but im not that kind of owner and figured the silence he listens to me with[mostly] would be a better plan than rubbing it in
    to me its not about throwing lead in the lake or who,s doing the most damage there its about one rule for all
    not doc trying to dictate f&g policy by only following or allowing to be followed the rules that suit them and using ngai tahu as an excuse.
    but yes tim i figure subgauge lead use time maybe numbered on wetlands/lakes, over water but i will hang on to mine and start a better search for non toxic i will probably be pushing excrement up a vertical grade but whatever gets me out to the public spots i love i will put up with.

So if its public land (a river) I can still shoot 20g lead over water?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    to me its not about throwing lead in the lake or who,s doing the most damage there its about one rule for all
    not doc trying to dictate f&g policy by only following or allowing to be followed the rules that suit them and using ngai tahu as an excuse.
    Those who administer the activities on the Lake have got one rule for all. If you want to shoot on the Lake, then you use non-toxic loads, regardless of shotgun gauge.
    Cyclops likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    So if its public land (a river) I can still shoot 20g lead over water?
    yes just not on doc land under thier non toxic shot only permits
    anyone got a idea where i can source 20 gauge non toxic suitable for ducks and geese im not having much joy from the usual sourcesh noes
    Those who administer the activities on the Lake have got one rule for all. If you want to shoot on the Lake then you use non-toxic loads, regardless of shotgun gauge.
    :
    not true up until renewing my permit this year or last i had it written on my permit that the subgauge exemption applied
    now it appears the attitude has changed. which is fine but im havin hells own trouble finding any non toxic 20 gauge duck or goose ammo.
    as to the highlighted bit, you are a crack up gq
    Last edited by gsp follower; 31-03-2015 at 05:53 PM.

So now there is one rule for all those who use the Lake, just like you wanted....so what are you whinging about it for?

There are numerous examples where those who administer certain lands place requirements on their users over and above what F&G might. The wetland association that I'm involved in on DoC land has a 200m separation rule for adjacent shooting-stands. Technically, that's actually reducing the hunter-opportunity, but the users understand the bigger picture and get onboard with it.

that info was from a google search. to put it bluntly with his attitude and sense of self entitlement i wouldnt entertain a rational debate.After all look how they treated you! The scornm&odium doled out toward Neil Hayes is also bloody disgusting
    ive no in further interest in the sub gauge rule issue Tim,but i will say this .Ive more than a few contacts at all levels in more than one F&G region in NZ and certainly here in the south island attitudes to southland F&G vary from 'that lot'to words unprintable. now if that is any indicator of degrees of acrominy between regionsIt does not bode well for the organisation in any national level.
    Frankly Im over this shit ,Im more intent on recovering from personal tragedy in the opening weeks of last season and making this a cracker year, which our recce on sunday would tend to support.
    a lot of people joined this forum because of this precise behaviour in alans fifedom.
    Im a 12g user so im required to use steel .but i also respect subguage users who comply with regulations using lead.Those regs were made when the polis & acolytes started this whole schemoozle as youd know ,so why accuse law abiding shooters of shonky tactics and ethics .furthmore since bloody when does a tail (yep its a tail being the arse end of the south island)wag the dog?
    Munsey and mikee like this.

yes just not on doc land under thier non toxic shot only permits
    anyone got a idea where i can source 20 gauge non toxic suitable for ducks and geese im not having much joy from the usual sourcesh noes
    :
    not true up until renewing my permit this year or last i had it written on my permit that the subgauge exemption applied
    now it appears the attitude has changed. which is fine but im havin hells own trouble finding any non toxic 20 gauge duck or goose ammo.
    as to the highlighted bit, you are a crack up gq
    Ballengers in ch-ch had some last year. Federal Black cloud, was deadly as hell on both the ducks and your wallet.
    gsp follower likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Ballengers in ch-ch had some last year. Federal Black cloud, was deadly as hell on both the ducks and your wallet.
    oh well a box or 2 for the lake shouldnt kill me was it 3 inch or 2 3/4 the had mikee.

oh well a box or 2 for the lake shouldnt kill me was it 3 inch or 2 3/4 the had mikee.
    ballingers had black cloud 20 gauge lead but told me nobodys bringing in 20 gauge steel cos the performance was crap
    will try eleys agents or matbe h&f got sopme by mistake for thier eley ammo push

gsdp follower -try robbie tiffen "gunworks"-another possible source. where does C404 get his28g -maybe the could access steel.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    gsdp follower -try robbie tiffen "gunworks"-another possible source. where does C404 get his28g -maybe the could access steel.
    nothing nowhere feck
    you might have to loan me that o/u of andys when i go to the lake

feckin doc and thier last minute policy changes

success i.ve found 7 pkts of black cloud 3 inch steel 2,s 39 buks a pkt ouch on the wallet and shoulder
    im keepin 3 if anyone else wants the other 4 pm me and i give you the sp
    Last edited by gsp follower; 01-04-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    mikee likes this.

Those who administer the activities on the Lake have got one rule for all.
    DONT KNOW THAT I AGREE THERE GQ
    doc administer access to the activity while f&8g administer the actual activity.
    any way whatever im semi sorted tho im pickin steel 2,s in the 20 will perform much like they do in the 12 fine for big birds messy on close ducks and hard to kill with on flaring longer ducksi cant wait to pattern a few not[
    QUOTE]So now there is one rule for all those who use the Lake, just like you wanted....so what are you whinging about it for?[/QUOTE]

because its not the rule i wanted obviously
    but im onboard gq can i expect a congradulatory hug
    Last edited by gsp follower; 01-04-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    Breda and mikee like this.

GQ-Itmay be timely to inform you in fact I was a witness to GSP followers raisng of the issue when the DOC permits for ellesmere were issued for the 2014-15season,and he in fact was thanked for bringing it to mr Smeaton(DOC issuing officer) attention.
    I may also suprise you to know our shooting team have up till this epistle of mr millichamps alluded to, enjoyed a very cordial relationship with DOC HQ at Maanahi rd CHCH.
    This was also throughout the dreadful culls disaster of 2012.I have found them to be quite interesting and polite to talk to generally,and welcoming re any information we can provide re the lake.
    if Mr M's espousal signals a change in attitude ,so be it ,but id be in no hurry to provide further info.
    Im intending to renew my own ellesmere permits this week so i willsee what reception i get.

That's a nice story Tube.

Those are the rules it seems for shooting on the Lake now. They may change, they may not. No point dropping your bottom lip and refusing to maintain a relationship with DoC because of it though.

As I said previously, the vision for the Lake is fairly lofty, so everyone's contribution to it (no matter how small it may seem) would be valued in my view.
    Last edited by gqhoon; 01-04-2015 at 04:56 PM.
    Breda and Cyclops like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    That's a nice story Tube.

Those are the rules it seems for shooting on the Lake now. They may change, they may not. No point dropping your bottom lip and refusing to maintain a relationship with DoC because of it though.

As I said previously, the vision for the Lake is fairly lofty, so everyone's contribution to it (no matter how small it may seem) would be valued in my view.
    thats not gonna happen gq we need thier permits whatever the rules they make they dont make things easy tho on us or themselves with this last minute carryon.
    lets leave it there as far bad feeling goes it was only the short notice that engendered that
    i,l comply with the law as i always have[ well mostly] but it does irk that there are 2 outfits that i have to comply with and that not one ammo merchant in the area [and as far as invercargill who supposedly are in a voluntary subgauge steel phase] new about the change or affirming of doc rules and had ammo. but no sweat i found the only 7 boxes of 20 gauge steel for sale in the country [auckland] its not ideal for what i want but i guess we,l have to see if ross,s demand creating a market works.
    im sceptical to say the least but legal ,effective remains to be seen .