Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: What to do with unwanted ducks

edmonds cookbook...beer batter recipe...cut duck or goose breast into cubes...bite sized cubes....I like skin on..... coat in batter and deep fry quickly....medium rare is good.... once you start on them be aware you wont want to stop...you can add some extra seasoning to batter.

yeah duck or goose can be dry and horrid.....or it can be awesome...its all in how you cook it.

I even rate older paired up parrie...when done in croc pot with the juices from last nights corned beef....... add sauce on your plate.... good cold in sammies too.
    Husky1600, 7mm Rem Mag and Padox like this.

I give a a lot of mine away to friends in the self reliant circles or off grid - plenty of groups on FB.

If you've shot them with steel and the local butcher isn't keen to mince them a hand mincer will do the job they are soft and easy to mince. Brining/corning the breast is another option can eat them as is or smoke them for something a bit different

Quote Originally Posted by country cuts View Post
    If you've shot them with steel and the local butcher isn't keen to mince them a hand mincer will do the job they are soft and easy to mince. Brining/corning the breast is another option can eat them as is or smoke them for something a bit different
    yip we did 15kgs by hand BEFORE giving to butcher...and he still charged me same amount...to say I was a tad miffed is understatement.
    tip for free...if you pluck breasts and leave skin on them..the salamis will be even better and nowhere near as much pork will need to be added because of the duck/goose fat under skin....

What is an "Unwanted Duck"?
    Micky Duck and 20 Bore like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    What is an "Unwanted Duck"?
    Name:  20220311_072828.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  442.4 KB

Name:  20220311_072541.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  469.3 KB
    Shearer and yeah_na_missed like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Off track but lean wild pork cooked in milk comes out like the brought stuff.
    theres where we differ i eat the wild stuff for the very reason it doesnt taste like the bought stuff.
    i still dream ofthe 2 inch thick wild pork chops off a pig c404 gave me ages ago.

yip we did 15kgs by hand BEFORE giving to butcher...and he still charged me same amount...to say I was a tad miffed is understatement.
    yup you get no discount from butchers or vets for makin thier job easier
    dannyb likes this.

Do `t know the reason for you do `t eat ducks, it `s because the gamy smell or too greasy? I can help with some of your unwanted ducks, but will need a place to pluck feathers, gut them, wash out and dry out. I cooked game ducks few time when I was Akl during the 2018 season, mostly popular culinary ways friends like it are roasted and stew or say soup, the Germany cuisine. But my friend house did `t have place for open fire cooking, got lots fire woods, just no soil ground for wildness cooking. The electric oven was too slow, powerless.
    I can come from CHCH in late of May or June as far as I can tell. Besides ducks any other pest available in your area, Pigeons, rabbits, hares, fat goats?
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.