Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Whats your go to duck load

Whats your go to duck load

What's your 12g go to duck load? Have allways used 2-3/4
    #2 or #3 haven't shot in a few years but recently upgraded and now can shoot 2-3/4 to 3.5 inch. Looking to change it up and try something new. Cheers

3" #3 going faster than 1400fps prefer something in 1500fps range ,the charge weight between 32-36grms
    falcon,kent,gamebore,remington,winchester
    take your pick Ive used them all
    the only load I really dispise is remington hypersonic...its just far too hot of load in anything other than a modern semi
    (and Ive got a few boxes of it in goose sizes to use up!!!)
    75/15/10 black powder matters

but id pushed to pick only one and could get it
    winchester Xpert in #3 the shell or payload doesnt matter they are all great .

I use 2 3/4". I'm no expert but my thinking is: less felt recoil, faster follow up shots due to less recoil and muzzle jump plus it makes for a more enjoyable shooting experience.

For steel I'll typically run 4s but irrespective of what load I use I always pattern it to make sure: A) my gun likes it, B) I've got the right choke selected etc.

For steel I go for falcon ultra steel 4s.

They pattern really well in my gun and I've used them in other shottys I've had or borrowed and it's a load that usually does the trick.

For lead with the paddock shooting I do it's usually good old falcon sp40 4's( that load drops geese really well too).

3 inch 36 gram 4s ..or night shopt over pond 28 gram 7s steel.

I used to use 3 inch but it ends up being a bit tough on the shoulder. Was using Falcon Ultras in #4 but since Farmlands don't sell ammo anymore it's not that easy for me to get.
    Last couple of years I've been using Eley VIP #4 2 3/4 as it's easy to get. Haven't noticed any difference in performance on ducks

This year I brought a slab of gamebore 2 3/4 .
    Normally I buy seperate boxes and wait till I have an ammo tin fill too shoot from my Nikko under/over.
    See how the ol girl handles it on opening morning I guess lol.
    Pretty sure I brought number 3 shot.

Man talk about shotgun ammo sky rocketing .... but thats another forum topic !
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Hmm, about to go and get some this week. My old SKB is 2 3/4 only. Thought I'd get a a box or two of a few brands to try. 3s or 4s what's best?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Cheers guys might stick to what I know. And grab a few boxes of 3" to try cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Hmm, about to go and get some this week. My old SKB is 2 3/4 only. Thought I'd get a a box or two of a few brands to try. 3s or 4s what's best?
    For us it's 3s and we just don't like 4s but we shoot mainly open water. More pass throughs of pellets too so less to chip your teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Grab a box of each and pattern em. I'd also ask the question; are you more likely to be shooting bigger water or decoying birds on smaller water.

My mate who will be with me for opening has gone for 3s whilst I've gone for good old 4s.

This proffessional xuck hunting guide has a great series on youtube. The video link pertains particularly to shot loads and types.
    https://youtu.be/iD_oG9ymjpA
    Dama dama likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Thanks for replies, will grab some of both 3s and 4s. Will be on a pond for opening and probably on Lake Waihola (big water) at some point as well, so yeah...both. Will pattern when I can, but doesn't like I'll get a chance this side of opening.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

This may help you!Name:  IMG_0395.jpeg
Views: 329
Size:  165.8 KB
    I would actually buy a box of each that you think would be could and patten test them with your shotgun. Then commit to what shoots best in your shotgun. Some of these can really throw clumps

They say you should go up two sizes to what ever you used in lead. My go too was 6s 36 so it would be 4s 36 in steel.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    This may help you!Attachment 222338
    I would actually buy a box of each that you think would be could and patten test them with your shotgun. Then commit to what shoots best in your shotgun. Some of these can really throw clumps

They say you should go up two sizes to what ever you used in lead. My go too was 6s 36 so it would be 4s 36 in steel.
    Was going to write something similar, pattern is very important, alot of so called poor killing loads are likely attributed to poor patterns. No.3 and 4 steel would be my pick, initially no.2 was recommended but many found the pattern to be a bit sparse.