Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Who's excited?

I had a great opening morning.
    No ducks all parries. If I was shooting ducks wouldn't have fired a shot, mind you we were paddock shooting and targeting parries so no grizzles there.
    Very likely only shooting I'll do this year for a few reasons so it was a pricey license for a weekend, in saying that I bought 100 bucks in groceries etc, drove to the coast and back from chch and bought more ammo (almost needed it-bloody expensive steel damn you) so there was a lot of extra for me.
    I don't really have anything local and if the opening weekend invite hadn't come I wouldn't have done anything.
    I'm also useless at canvassing farmers for shooting-never had to growing up but that's just me-I'm not very good at scouting for that sort of thing.
    Whilst my best opening on proper ducks was with steel, me and Glass were just smashing it saying steel isn't so bad, My opinion of steel is that it is junk.
    Perfect patterns, range and technique will get you the bird every time, if one of those is off there is a good chance you'll only wing it and it will die much later possibly from blood poisoning.
    Our group shot quite enough birds for the weekend and from what I saw you could wound a bird and while looking pretty ordinary, would fly for quite an extended distance before it would drop.
    We had heaps that seemingly dropped like a stone only to get up and start trotting off into the distance with sometimes many shots to finish them off (our only dog not that flash).
    Don't seem to remember so many wounded really mobile birds in the past. You either got them or they flew miles away with only a few walking dead around.
    And except for hawk meals and badly smashed ones we cut up the whole lot.
    anyway I did have a great time.