Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: DIY kontiki info

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'll give you $500 for it when she's done mate! Win, win!
    I have an idea of who I'll give it to. A guy that was injured at work and now unable to work. Help him feed the tribe and get out of the house.
    Smiddy and Gapped axe like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A couple I built GM ,might be some idea's useful for you.They all caught fish .

Have wiring diagrams if you need them just drop me you email addy.
    Thanks Chris. Searching the web I've seen some of those, Google seems to know all about you. Should be right on the electronics having done electrical and electronic engineering.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Jeeze what happened to the days that kontikis were rigged with a barley sugar that would drop the weight and the sail once dissolved?, seems everything has been blinged out these days with timers, motors, batteries, GPS etc just to get a long line out
    With motor power you don't have to rely on the wind from any particular direction. When was the last time you saw a sailing ship plying the freight trade? And I don't recall you yelling any commands to the donkey you were working with in your work video clip.
    stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Remember the offer of mainline and hooks etc from the bad one mate. I have his number if and when you need it
    Reckon I'll be taking up that offer too thanks Gibo and "The Banished One!"
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Geeze that first pic is a classic Chris
    It went very well too Mr D , didn't have to worry about steering.Just point it where you wanted it to go,caught a lot of fish too.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Jeeze what happened to the days that kontikis were rigged with a barley sugar that would drop the weight and the sail once dissolved?, seems everything has been blinged out these days with timers, motors, batteries, GPS etc just to get a long line out
    Must be bloody scary watching several thousands of dollars heading for the horizon.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It went very well too Mr D , didn't have to worry about steering.Just point it where you wanted it to go,caught a lot of fish too.
    @Chris...Your father was very innovative when it came to fishing, growing up, did you hear about his exploits with the spear he made to get the kingfish?
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Only that he nearly drowned a couple of times using it .Was made for Kingi's not sting rays I recall.
    Gun control means using both hands

Mates got a home built contiki. Basically a motor and prop strapped to a surf board. Looks horey as fark but apparently does the trick.
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Must be bloody scary watching several thousands of dollars heading for the horizon.
    That's why you borrow other peoples ones, reduces those worries dramatically
    Spook likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Iv been mucking around building them for myself to get the set up I have now. Knowing what I know now I would just save my pennys and buy a sea horse. I would rate my one now on par with sea horse but it has cost me a lot more than $400.

My advice would be if you are going to build your own is to get a motor from wave rider off trade me they are actualy the same motor that is on a merc trolling motor the last the best and are the best on batteries, they are a little bit more pricey but worth it. I currenty have a knock off motor it works well but have rebuilt it twice as I didn't have the cash spare for a better motor at the time. Also if it gets water in it being a dc motor its easy to clean and will work again.
    I use a magnetic timer similar to sea horse I got it from trade me from bullet fishing works bloody well.
    Batteries I use 2x 9amp hour for 1 full set and can normaly get a small next set before I grab a new pair. I made the kontiki rear end big enough to hold the next size up 14 amp hour batteries too. Wouldn't waste my time with the 7.5amp hr ones.
    I use a electric wheel chair motor for winch I was lucky enough to get one with the wheel attached so it also had the clutch for free wheeling and use mono not braid as it seems to handle better with stretch and abrasion on the sand.Name:  P1010645.JPG
Views: 3217
Size:  732.9 KBName:  P1010654.JPG
Views: 5663
Size:  749.5 KB
    gadgetman and Toby like this.

Thanks samba. That is a nice looking set up.

Cheers it works mint made from alloy

Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    Cheers it works mint made from alloy
    I was just about to ask that! I'm definitely giving this thing a crack and it will be a bit more than your usual kontiki as I want to keep the trace with bait away from the tow line and cut down on drag.

yea that's cool sounds like a lot of tangles to me but good luck to you also by having a separate trace line I assume that will mean your main line is on top of the water?