Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree14710Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    When I was deepsea fishing I used to tell cadets who were sick to eat chocolate, they would look to me with a glimmer of hope in their eye and ask if it would stop them being sick? No I would say but it still tastes good on the way back up.
    Unfortunately I'm a 1 in 75, get sick guy.
    For the normal, short days I don't worry about it, however if its a out real wide, or Big boat and lots of people etc.... Sealegs. Cheap insurance, and haven't feed the fish for 4 years

(apart from one short mission, with a huge night before, and lots of rum & port, and a really shit sea, so it doesn't count....)
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Really? Every time I have tried kina I have drank and gargled salt water to try get the taste out of my mouth.....apparently they are sopost to be sweet but no local ones I have ever tried have been? Like trying to eat a just dropped acorn bitter !
    Kina raw taste crap.
    Fried in a omelet are much better. (with chilli)

But mussels or crays, taste much better.
    (also, snapper, crabs,flat fish, blue cod, kingis, zinger burger kfc, etc)
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Kina raw taste crap.
    Fried in a omelet are much better. (with chilli)

But mussels or crays, taste much better.
    (also, snapper, crabs,flat fish, blue cod, kingis, zinger burger kfc, etc)
    Chilli makes everything bettter.....if bacon or chilli cant fix it its not food.
    Pengy likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Kina would have to be one of my favourite sea foods providing its in season and I get it.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Kina would have to be one of my favourite sea foods providing its in season and I get it.
    Some people are just not man enough to eat Kina GA. My brother and I got in the shit on a dive trip because we brought back Kina and sat on the bow eating them.. Everyone else brought back crays and scallops and were royally disgusted in the two of us. They were even more put off when we savaged the cray bodies for the mustard. Some people aye?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Yea I dont think I have ever had a good one, they certainly didnt look like the ones on spiky gold hunters.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Got out for a sneaky fish today ...ended up with my retired neighbour for crew hes a top bloke but not boat savvy...windyty said SW 15 I was hoping for less ...nope SW12-15 cold as your motherinlaws smile. Snuck down the coast with a following sea...should have turned back!
    Got to fishing grounds swung on anchor like a barstard..cod after cod 32cm moved more of the same except an undersize snap. One keeper cod and chucked it in heading for home wind against current stood waves up ..cut the corner instead of steaming out of the middle of the bay saw a very messy sea and read a big ugly very wrong and got a green one over the bow...the first time since my 20s ...crewman looked at me with wide eyes I gave him a wink and said brrrr..got out wide slowly where the swell/chop was more settled and jogged home without further incident. Stopped on a sheltered reef pulled 3 more keepers from 20ft un believable. Parked on the sand in the lee of an island ..4 carrots and couple of sand sharks ...wind kicked it up a gear so pulled the pin and home..couple mistakes today ...learnt from them ..crewman enjoyed his day out and said he trusted me completly and felt like he was in safe hands a very nice compliment .bit of scenery no fish photos.
    Name:  20200611_114634.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  1.95 MB
    Name:  20200611_131518.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  2.82 MB
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Got out for a sneaky fish today ...ended up with my retired neighbour for crew hes a top bloke but not boat savvy...windyty said SW 15 I was hoping for less ...nope SW12-15 cold as your motherinlaws smile. Snuck down the coast with a following sea...should have turned back!
    Got to fishing grounds swung on anchor like a barstard..cod after cod 32cm moved more of the same except an undersize snap. One keeper cod and chucked it in heading for home wind against current stood waves up ..cut the corner instead of steaming out of the middle of the bay saw a very messy sea and read a big ugly very wrong and got a green one over the bow...the first time since my 20s ...crewman looked at me with wide eyes I gave him a wink and said brrrr..got out wide slowly where the swell/chop was more settled and jogged home without further incident. Stopped on a sheltered reef pulled 3 more keepers from 20ft un believable. Parked on the sand in the lee of an island ..4 carrots and couple of sand sharks ...wind kicked it up a gear so pulled the pin and home..couple mistakes today ...learnt from them ..crewman enjoyed his day out and said he trusted me completly and felt like he was in safe hands a very nice compliment .bit of scenery no fish photos.
    Attachment 142252
    Attachment 142253
    Phew !!!. I dodged that bullet
    stingray and Shearer like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

MB
    My first kingfish on the spear. I'll save you all the details, but it was a lucky encounter and an epic battle followed. Fish nearly got away a few times, tangled in kelp and I nearly drowned! Definitely amateur hour underwater! Also caught a crayfish, so a great day all round.

Got the flounder net out Friday, despite excellent weather and tides it was very weedy for some reason and I only got 3. Was nice tho.

Name:  IMG_20200612_082620.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  2.37 MB

Go the flounder dog
    Maybe a stormy at sea a few days ago and dislodged the weed to fill ya net. I set a mullet net in the Foxton river a while ago, but there was a heap of weed and crap washing down from a big rain up river and caught nothing but weed.

Sunday session ...
    Barometer off the scale...hitting highs like a champion...out early southerly puffing...tried a quick drop on carrot patch , sharked to death .....so drifted down the coast ..ran over some sign that looked good ...next few hours was epic ...largest cod went 53.5 cm ...john dory was a close second ...pannie brim .. couple of turkeys to close. Couple of very solid runs on stray line one hook up dropped one diffenatly cotta. But what a day with family.Name:  20200614_111945.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  2.99 MB
    Name:  20200614_112535.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  220.2 KB
    Name:  20200614_123341.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  230.4 KB
    Name:  20200614_112701.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  164.5 KB
    Nil durum volenti !!

Sorry shit photos salty fingers killing fish and baiting hooks
    Nil durum volenti !!

Awesome
    Bloody good size cod and a Johnny how good.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    stingray and Beaker like this.

A winter bonus on a boys day out ( Mum at work) Name:  506EB9EA-85DE-4DD2-BEC7-DD0AD0B4CC7E.jpeg
Views: 196
Size:  110.2 KB
    Name:  AE147719-3B30-4966-AB7D-91C1FA7F6151.jpeg
Views: 182
Size:  100.1 KB
    Happy days.
    I grew up looking for frogs and shit!

You grew up looking for a wi fi connection.......we are not the same!