Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree14601Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

First course marinade mussels,then deep fried beer batter mussels,washed down with Peroni Leggera.
    Thanks @stingray,the other half of"team good kunz"
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Attachment 147706
    Attachment 147695
    Attachment 147697
    Attachment 147698
    Headed down to bottle point 15 boats working the place over, hit spot #2 which usually is amazing but this day is was a massive spikey alley ...burley pot chewed up. Tried spots and depths fro 20 meters to 80 ..vc sorted out a nice 3lb brim then we tried and tried just short brim small cod sharks..tide ran out and every one hit the dtop off jigging like mad ...school of kings marking ...saw about 5 landed turned out to be shorts.

Had a guts full of this headed back up the coast to a brand new dive spot ...VC studied the sounder worked the terain whilst I geared up ...krill / squat lobsters were drifting about the boat and using it for shelter ...none anywhere else just on this bit of turf

Got the go dropped down on to cray crack straight up ( because VC is that good) saw six berried crays ...a million small cod butterfly perch and a great hole owned by a massivconger eel . Found a keeper buck ....turf was steep dropping from 12 -25 meters but bitter cold...did 2/3red of a tanl
    Went to dig our carrot patch 1 cod 1 small carrot and to bloody many spikes

Home clean beer tea yarn bed ..up early grabbed a feed of mussels ..away home for hockey
    Yep, I also spent the weekend up there. Friday and Saturday night in Port Hardy......Prefect weather.
    Had my 15yr old daughter with me, I thought it was going to be a bit much for her for 3 days on the water but she done bloody well.
    We got some good cod, mainly trying for tarakhi and then got on to some good gurnard on the way back with a stonker of a cray

It's been so long since Ive uploaded a photo I cant remember how to do it.
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Yep, I also spent the weekend up there. Friday and Saturday night in Port Hardy......Prefect weather.
    Had my 15yr old daughter with me, I thought it was going to be a bit much for her for 3 days on the water but she done bloody well.
    We got some good cod, mainly trying for tarakhi and then got on to some good gurnard on the way back with a stonker of a cray

It's been so long since Ive uploaded a photo I cant remember how to do it.
    Click the button to the right of the smilies that looks like a picture of a tree in a frame.
    screamO likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nah photo upload is broken at the mo. They are working on it.
    stingray, screamO and kukuwai like this.

nope...still can't do it.

Ah that would explain why I couldn't upload yesterday....thought it was my phone playing up.

Up early and put the flounder net out,was expecting a fair bit of crap in the net after the weeks weather and massive tides.....well the weed and sticks and gravel on the road should have told me to turn around and go home but I went and set it anyway.
    It was a beautiful morning.
    Short set resulted in a totally chocked net I could barely pull in and one unlucky flounder.

Still cant post photos it would seem.

Car loaded. Boat loaded (need to fuel on way). Just need to grab the bait from freezer (yes, I'm taking bait - all options needed).
    Monday fishing is on!

Was going to check weather, but don't want to be disappointed.... Might be rough, might be smooth, but there will be boating/ fishing at 0559hrs and 1 second.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Car loaded. Boat loaded (need to fuel on way). Just need to grab the bait from freezer (yes, I'm taking bait - all options needed).
    Monday fishing is on!

Was going to check weather, but don't want to be disappointed.... Might be rough, might be smooth, but there will be boating/ fishing at 0559hrs and 1 second.
    And the result.... Name:  IMG-20200831-WA0003.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  541.4 KB

2x horse JD's, and the kawhia was to. Snaps were pretty small, but all legal (maybe 12 undersized caught and sent back)

Plus 1x 2.5m shark that gave my mate a walk around the boat, cut off at boatside as belly hooked.

And calm to lunch and out. Tucked in on outer tiri island, and rough trip home.

Bloody great day!!!
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Nice John Dorys
    Beaker likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

First charter tomorrow since we came out of level 3. Should be an easy day as we are only allowed to take 10 instead of our normal 'up to 26'.
    However, the new Charter fishing vessel operators reporting regs are now in force. Up until now we only had to record Kingfish......Number caught, number kept and weight of those kept. Now we have to record Snapper. number caught, number kept and weight.

With Kingfish it was relatively easy as we only caught 4-5 per trip. Snapper is a whole different 'kettle of fish' ( pun intended)

If you want a link to what we have to report then go here https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/...y-catch-return

Eventually all species will be reported on..............(You dont have to be blind to see where this is heading.)

Hopefully the Kaipara bar has settled down tomorrow.
    veitnamcam, Barefoot and stingray like this.

Out there slaying dolphins again this morning.
    Name:  IMG_20200905_062132.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  2.07 MB
    Very weedy with the full moon,big tides,total absence of a winter this year.
    Got a feed of flounder as bycatch..... someone has to school me up on how to catch dolphin in a foot of muddy water.

Name:  IMG_20200905_084949.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  3.04 MB

Name:  IMG_20200905_170753.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  2.40 MB
    stingray, Beaker, Shearer and 4 others like this.

It was a good day off the Kaipara. Firstly, all the guys on the charter were experienced fisho's and they didnt require any help for most of the time. It gave the skipper and I a chance to catch a feed. Between us we caught 19 snapper up to 11lb, 4 good gurnard, 6 Kahawhai and.........( While I was catching up on chores) I saw some interesting sign midwater, so I dropped a 300g jig, hooked up first drop and landed an 85cm Kingfish. Sashimi for lunch and dinner tomorrow.

Name:  20200905_171457 (2).jpg
Views: 277
Size:  1.47 MB

All the fisho's got their limit of snapper and we were heading home by 1pm.

Not sure that I would be impressed with a hired skipper etc having a fish for themselves if I was paying the bill. Unless they were invited to do so
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Not sure that I would be impressed with a hired skipper etc having a fish for themselves if I was paying the bill. Unless they were invited to do so
    It entirely depends on the circumstances. Every single guy on the boat was an experienced fisherman. The only assistance they required and asked for was when the inevitable school sharks turned up and they wanted to keep them. I actually got my ears chewed when I tried to help one of them with his rig as he had his hooks on backwards. One of his mates had changed his hooks around and threaded them on backwards when he was using the head. His mate was the one that did the chewing lol. All they wanted was the skipper to put them on the fish which we did. They are a regular crew and extremely competitive with each other.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Yesterday fifty meters off Kawhia
    Well done
    Out over the bar ??
    That place gave me a problem for life
    45 years ago double neck vertebrae dislocation.
    A place to be careful crossing

Weight ??