Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree14707Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    Good for a laugh - boating yesterday – that was about all it was!
    Hadn’t had much luck on Okapara or Pudney lately - FB posts seem to indicate there were plenty of Snaps still being caught along Matakana – so why not give that a try
    In the water about 10.00 – a boat at the ramp had plenty of Snaps – they said – halfway along Matakana in 13m and they cleaned up in an hour
    So off we went – but the Bay of Empty did the job again – should have gone to Okapara before they closed it
    And so did my fuel tank – I had been convinced on previous trips that it was playing up and the tank was quite full – so just put 20 litres in for the short trip up Matakana – the bastard ran out on the way back 100m from the ramp – I normally have a spare 10 litre container – but not this time – no problem – let’s get the auxiliary going – must be a year or so since I did that – a long way from the small tank under the driver’s seat back to the motor – lots of hand pumping and pull starting – and away she went – thank goodness for an auxiliary
    Second time that an auxiliary has got me out of trouble – back in 2000 – my brand new 200 HP Johnson shit itself 10km down the SW coast from Plimmerton – a frost plug developed a pin hole and hosed the inside of the engine cowling with water – the electrics shit themselves – but at least we had a 15 HP Johnson and an hour or two to look at a bin full of Teras on the way back to the ramp
    So if my Yamaha fuel gauge indicates just two bars – its likely just got 20 litres of gas in the tank and when the last bar starts flashing – it is just about empty!
    Attachment 169363
    Heaps of snapper round Motiti today man, had multiple pannies on every kina burley I dropped. Shot a couple then went and grabbed some bugs. Even managed to find a packy. Good cray numbers in shallow with plenty of bucks around. Bloody good day out in the end.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Heaps of snapper round Motiti today man, had multiple pannies on every kina burley I dropped. Shot a couple then went and grabbed some bugs. Even managed to find a packy. Good cray numbers in shallow with plenty of bucks around. Bloody good day out in the end.

Do the packys taste/texture much different to the spinys?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Do the packys taste/texture much different to the spinys?
    Havnt eaten them side by side actually, but not much in it I don't think. They have pretty big tails so you get a bloody good feed of them. A just legal packy is a bloody big cray too. More the novelty of finding them than anything else. Much less common than the reds here

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Havnt eaten them side by side actually, but not much in it I don't think. They have pretty big tails so you get a bloody good feed of them. A just legal packy is a bloody big cray too. More the novelty of finding them than anything else. Much less common than the reds here
    I have never seen one or even heard of one round here.....NI only?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have never seen one or even heard of one round here.....NI only?
    Yeah I think so, get more common the further north you go

I have seen a couple caught off westhaven Cam. Check this out....

Packhorse rock lobsters are widely distributed, as far north as the Kermadec Islands, south to Foveaux Strait, and east to the Chatham Islands. They are fished mainly in the far north of NZ. (They also occur in eastern Australia – northern Victoria and New South Wales – where they are commonly called the eastern rock lobster).

https://nzrocklobster.co.nz/lobster-...orth%20of%20NZ.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, stingray and Nick-D like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

My best mate bought a new boat a couple of weeks ago, so we hatched a plan to get out and spill some blood on the decks. I'm not much of a fisherman, generally opting to remove fish's choice from the equation by shooting the buggers while they're not looking (spearfishing). My mate is a hard core fisho, so between us we were pretty confident of sorting a feed.

We started off softbaiting in the shallows, and by lunchtime had failed to get on the board. I decided to jump in and see if I could get a shaft into something, but was on a 1hr time limit. That was as big a fail as the softbaiting. I didn't even see a table fish! We decided to anchor up and get the burley pumping and try our hand at straylining. But we hadn't brought any bait or burley... I hopped back in and shot a few big silver drummer that would do the trick.

The last few hours of light were spent drifting big chunks of drummer down the burley trail in 15m of water. After about an hour, things ramped up nicely and we boated a dozen good eaters in the 40‐45cm range plus a couple of bigger 4‐7lb models (and released another handful of easily legal fish) and got dusted by a couple of big buggers getting to ground on light gear in shallow water.

The day was topped off nicely with my mate landing a ripper of a fish after a couple of smoking runs that we were sure would end in a bust off.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Name:  received_485216656095286.jpeg
Views: 178
Size:  66.1 KB

Went 23.5lb
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Shit that is a bloody ripper
    Nice way to christen the new boat

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

.243 addict
    Nice fish

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Attachment 169576

Went 23.5lb
    Shit yeah, mean fish

Bloody cracker! Nice dark color too.

My Wanganui Sweet Spot -
    We used to live in Palmy and along with other places we would fish out of the Wanganui River mouth – a light NE wind with an outgoing anticyclone worked well
    Before the days of GPS sounders – we used markers off the local coast and back to the ranges – pretty rough to mark a spot but it sometimes worked well and there were heaps of cod around
    I recall one day finding a slimy mould covered buoy floating on the surface – so I picked it up and rolled up the line and grapple – we then put the rods over and all hell broke loose – big blues and plenty of them – but in those days no GPS to record it
    But we found our sweet spot around 1999 when we were fishing off the Wanganui coast – and we had a sounder to record the coordinates
    I have an old Wanganui friend who fished out of the Wanganui River for most of his life – I gave him these coordinates and he also enjoyed the results for many years – I called him a few days back and found he has sold his boat and now just fishes off the beach with a drone – he left his sounder in the boat with all his sweet spots – so there may be others who now know my spot – it is listed as my name “F…… O.. Cod spot”
    I left Palmy about 16 years ago so never went back to fish out through Wanganui River mouth
    From memory this spot is about 10km out and a bit north of Wanganui – picture of an old friend from Palmy pulling up the cod this day in fabulous conditions
    So here is my sweet spot - I hope someone can try it out and enjoy it like we did!
    Lat 39*59.018 S Lon 174*45.392 E – hope the format is ok

Name:  IMG_0004 (2) 3.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  93.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    My Wanganui Sweet Spot -
    We used to live in Palmy and along with other places we would fish out of the Wanganui River mouth – a light NE wind with an outgoing anticyclone worked well
    Before the days of GPS sounders – we used markers off the local coast and back to the ranges – pretty rough to mark a spot but it sometimes worked well and there were heaps of cod around
    I recall one day finding a slimy mould covered buoy floating on the surface – so I picked it up and rolled up the line and grapple – we then put the rods over and all hell broke loose – big blues and plenty of them – but in those days no GPS to record it
    But we found our sweet spot around 1999 when we were fishing off the Wanganui coast – and we had a sounder to record the coordinates
    I have an old Wanganui friend who fished out of the Wanganui River for most of his life – I gave him these coordinates and he also enjoyed the results for many years – I called him a few days back and found he has sold his boat and now just fishes off the beach with a drone – he left his sounder in the boat with all his sweet spots – so there may be others who now know my spot – it is listed as my name “F…… O.. Cod spot”
    I left Palmy about 16 years ago so never went back to fish out through Wanganui River mouth
    From memory this spot is about 10km out and a bit north of Wanganui – picture of an old friend from Palmy pulling up the cod this day in fabulous conditions
    So here is my sweet spot - I hope someone can try it out and enjoy it like we did!
    Lat 39*59.018 S Lon 174*45.392 E – hope the format is ok

Attachment 169666
    Nice fish and good on you for sharing that. I'm sure someone on here will benefit from it. I see you didn't much around with light gear for the cod
    stingray, time out and Micky Duck like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Forecast looks good and I have other things to do up there so I'm going to chuck the boat in at French Pass on Saturday, anyone have any data regarding whether kingis will still be around the pass itself or whether I'll have to go further up?