Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree14483Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Google, Lady Lola boat NZ, Whanganella Heads Marlin fishing.
    stingray and sharps no 1 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Something different today! Out of Delaware, dragging for oysters ..

The skipper had the intel and “windyTY” promised an amazing day, well windy was a couple of hours late and the nasty off shore chop and wind was cold as it had being all winter. Had a tow out the front off Pepin resulted in 3 horse mussels.

So with the off shore wind pushing the chop up to a meter we bailed and headed close to shore looking for shelter, we snuck around to find a sheltered bay and set to cod bashing. Well a couple of drops and unbelievably we had our limit..big fat blues…

About then the wind eased dramatically so we ventured out a bit wider and set a burley soaking in reasonably steady current. VC being a bloody good barstard broke open the tucker box and gave me my first taste of whitebait in a couple of years. Delicious!

Carrots arrived and we had a nice run of luck, had a pod of dolphins scream past us heading for destinations unknown…they went up the coast about another mile the turned and headed straight out to sea…man the were going flat out .

My Spikiey avoidance device then got taxed, and VC wrangled a good half dozen southern sailfish we chucked it in and went back to oyster dragging, with the a calm sea and not much else to do we dragged horse mussels , shells , sea cucumbers and blow me down a feed of oysters.

Energy levels ran low as the bloody clip on the buoy wouldn’t hold the dredge on the surface and we had to haul the barstard thing up each time.

So enjoyed a bit of sun on our backs as we steamed for home. Arrived at the ramp to find old mate import had being out in his kayak and enjoyed some success as well with a feed of carrots in his bag.

Perfect ending to a great day of recon and trying something different, sounder showed up a couple of solid bait schools and marked what we hope / think maybe kingis or good snaps .

Thanks VC another day of excellence!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Name:  IMG_20210918_113330.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  2.26 MB

Whats that you are using there Joe

Name:  IMG_20210918_112132.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  2.60 MB

Mmmm oysters.

Name:  IMG_20210918_163245.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  1.84 MB

Cheers Joe always good to have good crew.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    rugerman, stingray, Beaker and 6 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Oh dear Joe, what will Shearer have to say about this?

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    stingray and Shearer like this.

Double like that first photo.
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Spikey dog avoidence only …the fact that that poor wee carrot impaled itself on a hook was just terrible bad luck
    Pengy, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Hockey season , just out of the way! Phone rings …grab a tank weathers good Saturday! Jesus not a moment to myself to get all those chores done !

Oh woe is me! Tie on new leaders , and pre tie a heap of rigs …spikey slaying here we go!

Some smart arse posted on “Tasman bay fishing forum” ( face plant) a bin of snaps caught this morning apparently.
    VC calling it fisherman baiting. We will see!
    Name:  7DECA9C4-2EEC-4860-8AAA-12A39AB0BEA3.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  2.86 MB
    Shearer and kukuwai like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

I've just seen some photos of good snaps in golden bay and just got off the phone from someone saying north of Okiwi is going good.....yea I don't think it would be worth the effort, just stay home and do some gardening.
    veitnamcam, stingray and Shearer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Spikey dog avoidence only …the fact that that poor wee carrot impaled itself on a hook was just terrible bad luck
    Spikey Dogs :-(((((((((
    Shocking !!!
    Everywhere inner Pelorus

But neighbor caught 2 good-sized Gurnard last evening - a 1st for them since Autumn
    stingray and Shearer like this.

Know your pain and @Sarvo, interestingly we have an abundance of small - medium paddle crabs in the Tasman bay , along with squat lobster down towards Durville .

As well as this reports of massive bait shoals being herded up by a hundred plus dolphins ..seems we are enjoying a very fishy / nutrient rich current ..

I know this could change in a heart beat ..but hopes are high for a snapper bash tomorrow.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Know your pain and @Sarvo, interestingly we have an abundance of small - medium paddle crabs in the Tasman bay , along with squat lobster down towards Durville .

As well as this reports of massive bait shoals being herded up by a hundred plus dolphins ..seems we are enjoying a very fishy / nutrient rich current ..

I know this could change in a heart beat ..but hopes are high for a snapper bash tomorrow.
    Don't forget your lure bag @stingray
    veitnamcam, stingray and Pengy like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I could even be tempted If the Sharks are ravenous.
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Sigh ..na fuck it…I’m going diving. Fuck fishing , fuck the spikes , fuck the expensive flashy shit ..wet suit , spear gun, see ya at low tide! Death dealer on board!
    Shearer and ROKTOY like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Hmmm…lies being told? Or wrong place wrong time? Or cunning barstards using us to thin out the spikes?

Well tough day of fishing, weather was simply wonderful which was a real bonus…met a crew at the ramp going to fish shallow whilst we were setting sail for deeper water.

Hmmm dropped of the insurance policy x2 , set the burley ,set the expensive flashy shit , untangled the rig of doom . Heaps of current and with wind and tide both running true to each other we were sitting perfectly for straying and just about everything.

VC open the account with a solid spike , followed by another ( curse you @Sarvo we’ve had a great season of very few but you mentioned them and they arrived on mass) .

By then I had untangled my rig ,caught a spike that straight away tangled with my shinny thing turning my wonderful coloured braid into horrific nightmare. So being a calm relaxed sort of bloke ,I muttered my way through a untangle ..VC changed things up from bait to shinny and slowed down the bite ..thankfully

Then my shinny set to howling , set the hook only to find another spikey on my jig …” well bugger me “ I said calmly …VC complimented my fishing abilities that catching spikes on a lure is going next level. So showing that I’m pretty bloody good at this fishing lark I next managed a spikey my ledger rig and the burley pot from the other side of the boat…well that was the straw that broke the camels back.

All lines in off to check the insurance policies ..an empty hook was a blessing as we boated our quota of shit fish. One token carrot amongst the mayhem ..over to our shallow carrot patch …error more spikes ..sigh then the whole lot shut down ( thankfully) .

Geared up over and the side. 1.5 meters of vis not great but workable. Down on the hole …crays were well back with a couple of sizeable ones waaay back. Into the boat empty handed moved up to some turf we mark in the summer ..down straight onto a rock …wow three sitting out , slammed the biggest ,a nice taker buck , looked into the cave few better ones again out of reach ..did a swim round bagged a sucker the had no escape route.

Got a third taker very pleased with myself saw a number of shorts and lovely promising turf . In the boat Suns taken its toll on VC and myself ..head in…hello there old mate import in his kayak ..pull up to yarn he’s bags a double header of carrots

…” oh thats 5 now “ he tells us in a hour of fishing ..do you guys need some fishing tips ? He asks ..that was it …home time ..retrieved the boat and home.

Chasing early season snaps is always hard work. Cheers VC for not cutting my brand new braid and being a great skipper and putting me on the crays.

A tough day but a good day ..thank you!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Character building, those wee bugger's
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out