Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree14601Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Thank you VC and Roktoy , a wonderful day of laughs yarns wind sun and fish. Just what I needed ..feeling a million times better about everything. Cheers for just being yourselves.
    veitnamcam, Pengy, Shearer and 3 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

We had Stingray going deep to get the net out. Just as well he is head and shoulders taller than some as that was all we could see at times.
    Some nice solid fish being caught, had us all smiling and keen to keep the net wet.
    The last net for the day pulled in a good number of fat flat fish as well as a couple of strays that will be sashimi in a few days time.
    Tea was an easy decision.
    Cheers team. A grand day out. I really needed that.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Thank you VC and Roktoy , a wonderful day of laughs yarns wind sun and fish. Just what I needed ..feeling a million times better about everything. Cheers for just being yourselves.
    Oh yeah....8 years ago I complained of being itchy in my suit....you said stop pissing in it.
    I thought well I've never pissed in this suit but.
    So I got a brand new suit....gotta soap up to get it on and not damage it you say.
    So I soap up like I'm ready for a party I could only dream of every time I put the fucker on and still get itchy after a couple of hours.
    Today....8 fucken years later he says oh yeah it's the soap...ffs Joe.

Let's go dive hope rock.... I'll be there when you come up honest.
    rugerman, stingray, Pengy and 6 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Went out in the dinghy Fri night after work, 3hr mission total. 9 jocks, 4 massive cod, 2 terakihi, 1 KY, 1 pup hapuka on the slow jig, once I got onto the zone. Not bad!

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Oh yeah....8 years ago I complained of being itchy in my suit....you said stop pissing in it.
    I thought well I've never pissed in this suit but.
    So I got a brand new suit....gotta soap up to get it on and not damage it you say.
    So I soap up like I'm ready for a party I could only dream of every time I put the fucker on and still get itchy after a couple of hours.
    Today....8 fucken years later he says oh yeah it's the soap...ffs Joe.

Let's go dive hope rock.... I'll be there when you come up honest.

Try Johnson's Baby Shampoo.
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.

Flounder drag net repair kit arrived today …surgery repair twine and 30 meters of fresh new net, plus binding cordage …the 30 meter drag will be patched ..looking at tides might even get chucked in the drink.
    Name:  761CE7EE-E73D-470A-A955-4E56A116A9B0.jpeg
Views: 199
Size:  3.05 MB
    Nil durum volenti !!

Friday fishing ! How good …sneaking out before the weekenders get amongst it.

So sold my soul for a couple of early starts next week to bunk off an hour early today. Got to VCs pad to help load the boat, and away …got to the ramp at low tide …needing some water to cross the bar we set to baiting up the hook line as we meandered down stream …

Got to the bar to find that the winter weather and shit tons of rain had changed the river and bar completely we now had one mouth with quite boatable depth ..so we motored gently into deeper water then set sail to our hunting ground..down with the insurance policy ( hook line) and the down with the anchor, burley and me being a cunning fisherman down with a slider jig(shut up shearer) …

Well we had time to chew the fat and eat a snack and watch the wind drop away …then the current pushed and VC shook the burley pot and the bite came on …I returned the first small taker for good luck ..and it did the trick VC boated a small rig that got itself in a tangle and my line didn’t reach the bottom ..I thought I had a Kahawai as the fish rose into sight a wonderful fat snapper …how good ….that good …

Then VCs strayline rig set to howling…wait wait wait strike …yanked it…ahhhhhh…

The next couple of hours produced excellent fishing fat spring snapper , VC as he always does landing a couple of beauties on his strayline rig, as well as a unexpected bonous of two very solid carrots .Me I tied rigs as the snapper swallowed my hooks deep and then my shinny jig set sail for the never never …never to be seen again as a cotta dined on my jig.

Well the sea went oily and we enjoyed a hour of really wonderful Friday evening fishing …then a wind line came creeping we both commented how it wasn’t forecast ..but it turned the boat side on to the current and ruined our lye , VC called time and we sorted the burley and rods ..by then the breeze had become a wind and the chop had become a slop, we motored over to pick up our hook line and the slop had become a nasty short steep sea,

VC told me haul the bugger chuck the hooks on the floor ..we can sort it later,..now that told me he was concerned about the sea conditions as was I, up she came in the boat went a couple of nice fish ..over the side went a few lively shorts .

By now it’s really getting going …30 mins ago flat calm seas now we are in meter ( 1 meter) high chop short and nasty ,white caps ,the works ..VC hands me a PVC rain jacket , here put this on and then put your life jacket over top….no suggestion..do it and do it now.

The next 30 mins was wet n wild, VC knows his boat and maintains it very well, as well as this he reads the sea …these things saw us take the long wet but safe run home..

Home safe we cleaned our catch , yarned about the great fishing and said our good nights .

A huge thank you to VC for your abilities and knowledge of the sea ,bars , currents.

Anyone can drive a boat , it takes a skipper to man a boat through troubled waters …epic fishing trip , amazing company what a Friday evening!

Thanks mate …your a good barstard of the highest order
    madjon_, 7mmwsm, rugerman and 4 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Cheers @stingray awesome as always.

Great to finally get that first good snapper session of the season on the board.

Name:  IMG_20211105_191713.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  4.66 MB

Name:  IMG_20211105_193825.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  5.16 MB

That's some really nice fish guys. Well done.

The lad and I had knocked up a flounder spear, so we went for a walk last night.
    Unfortunately the wind arrived along with some rain which made the water rather murky, so it was a short walk, and a bit shallow.
    He saw a couple of eels and a few smaller fish but no flat fish. He is keen for round two which is fine with me.

small bulb inside a glass test tube with cork firmly wedged to seal the top where wires go in works as can put under water and dont get glare....but there are so many water proof lights around now its possibly not worth the effort.

Ive got a flounder light here somewhere you can have @ROKTOY

That's some nice work guys
    yeah ya really earn ya chips as a skipper when the weather cuts up and you have to come in over a bar that has breaking waves on it. No 2nd chances and get it wrong and your going for a roll and rinse.

Yeah M Duck, I have seen those little lights with the long handle on for putting under the water. Does it make much difference from the light from the top method ? last till I went spearing was with a tilly lantern about 30 years ago but really want to give it a go again this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Ive got a flounder light here somewhere you can have @ROKTOY
    Thankyou. He would appreciate that.
    We had a cheap underwater torch attached to the spear but got better visibility in the dirty water last night with the torch above the water.

@rugerman Light in the water means you get no glare or reflection, We found in dirty water the light worked better from above though.

Last edited by ROKTOY; 06-11-2021 at 08:17 AM.
    rugerman and stingray like this.

Man it is literally flat calm everywhere !!

Launched at grossies 6am, dead low tide. Heaps of boats on trailers parked up waiting on water.
    Only one other fella with a small boat bothered to try.

Just had to walk it a bit right at the start, rest was sweet. @veitnamcam unreal how much that mouth has changed ah. The old channel markers were well and truly on the sand this morning but that new cut was sweet.

Showed .5m all the way

Great to have dad on my boat today that doesn't happen often. He loved it the boys kept him entertained, the fishing was hot. Took no photos but filled the bin

Flavour of the day was whole pillys on the stray line. Couldn't get them under the boat today !

Probably my favorite way to catch them, just gota love that 'zzziiiiizzzzzzzzz' !!! Pick-up to hook-up rate only about 50% tho.

Get a great scrap out of them but
    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Bloody fantastic! Interesting that pilchards were the bait of choice , Friday night a two hook rig squid and pillie , squid every time.

Didn’t matter which top or bottom hook, they were gulping down the baits. Quite a few throat hooked on 7/0..though VC would point out I was using J hooks not recurves
    veitnamcam, Shearer and kukuwai like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!