Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree14475Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

yeah I have thought that too. I think they take a bit of knack to throw and I'm not sure how much room you would have to swing in on the boat ( well my boat with a rocket launcher anyway). Rub up some bread on the surface and let it rip

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    watched our son use a cast net the other evening....surprised me how it worked and just how quick and efficent it was at catching baitfish.... I had thought they worked like a purse upsidedown...but nope..it goes out in circle then the weights pull it downwards like a bell,then they get together closing net,the mesh is sized to be like regular gill nets.

thought came to mind how effective it would be from boat in a burley trail.
    heck of a quick way to obtain batfish.
    Beaker and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    yeah I have thought that too. I think they take a bit of knack to throw and I'm not sure how much room you would have to swing in on the boat ( well my boat with a rocket launcher anyway). Rub up some bread on the surface and let it rip
    Bait board, out board, etc... And of the us of a can doit, we can certainly doit! Just not sure on the option that works with the nz fish....
    Sabakis are great but also keen on lessoning bait cost....
    rugerman likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Got ol stingray out this evening after work( his not mine )
    Plan to prospect some new ground.

Conditions were epic good! Especially for an evening in Tasman bay.

Name:  IMG_20220329_163352.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  6.41 MB

Name:  IMG_20220329_185703.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  5.75 MB

Dropped the insurance policys.
    With fishing so good of late haven't used the longlines but not much fishing gets done on a evening dive trip.

Kahawai were boiling up all over the bay.... Acres and acres of them.

Spot one and two no good other than blue cod we pulled lines, one spiky,some pannies,some gurnard,some stonking big kahawai.

Name:  IMG_20220329_193930.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  5.57 MB

Back to a known rock and Joe managed to pull out a keeper and got back in just on dark.
    Was a beautiful evening on the water....we don't get that many in Tasman bay usually the evening breeze/gale starts up around 3pm.
    madjon_, stingray, Pengy and 5 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Great after work dive, even better to have a skipper / boatman that takes care of you staying in close and generally being a good barstard!

Vis was surprisingly averagegiving the weather we have had and it being an open coast, sadly the turf was the same ...on the sounder it looked great on the bottom it lacked holes cracks and holding turf. Plenty of large rocks but not holding structure.

VC was amazingly patient as we bombed turf all over , the weather was unbelievable calm to the horizon apart from the boil ups .

Ran out of light before we ran out of air , old faithful rocks still holding good numbers of crays, from tiny to good keepers , tonight the catching holes were empty but the cunning batstard holes were holding plenty ...a great safe dive.

Amazing evening , so calm you could hear the Kawhai rsssssshhhhhh the surface ..and the goats bleat from the sunny face.

Killed a few fish including 55 cm Kawhai a few delicious half grown snaps, released some keeper pannies and a very solid rig easily 130cm ..

Ended the evening with a sunset and a beer and some yarns.

Thanks VC was an epic few hourss
    Nil durum volenti !!

Fishing yesterday
    Name:  6DEC9483-1534-4F3E-9779-A7857C527FCD.jpeg
Views: 207
Size:  6.18 MB

Managed to get the oldest lad out of bed before six this morning and into his wetsuit. Actually he had no choice as I can't drag the net by myself

Did the first couple of drags in the dark expecting a stingray at any minute, which fortunately didn't materialize.

Some nice flats were landed...

We managed to drag thru a patch of oysters on the second one which took us a while to clear out of the net but eventually we were back in for a third drag. This time the tide was pushing hard but it provided some more nice fish and no oysters !!!

We were both very happy with that so headed home. Dad quickly appeared to help with the filleting as he says flounder are his favourite fish. Sent him home with a few so he was happy and I was greatful for the help

A primo morning with some tasty spoils..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Been a bit slack on the photos and reports.
    Headed down the west coast wed Thursday, beautiful weather went for a swim and got a feed of Paua.
    Name:  IMG_20220331_102002.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  5.85 MB
    Friday evening a drag with @stingray and @ROKTOY.
    Stuggeled a bit with rays and rig,prospected new ground to drag. Ended up with some nice flats and a surprise decent panni snapper.

Out this morning with old workmate
    Got a big rig before we even had all the net in the water, got that tangeling prick out and one short drag 23 big fat flattys...one of which being a sand flounder.
    Name:  IMG_20220403_064915.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  5.89 MB
    Name:  IMG_20220403_065431.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  5.68 MB
    stingray, Beaker, Shearer and 3 others like this.

Finished at work around 4pm Saturday.
    Grabbed wetsuits and net. Threw the lad the dog and my wife in the car and shot out to the beach.
    Net in the water just after 5pm. 3 drags in the shallows on the out going tide saw us with 15 flatties and a kahawai.
    Got my good lady on the end of the net for a drag and she pulled iin half a dozen fish. I think she was quite chuffed.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Up early again today and off out the local channel with the boys.

Beautiful morning on the water with the brim biting hard. At one stage we were just frantically releasing them. The new burly was outstanding cheers VC !!!

One nice trevally amongst the brim which is about to be sashimi lunch !

Home nice and early with two very happy lads and good bin of fish.

I enjoyed the above posts fellas. Good to see that everyone is getting amongst it !! Bloody paradise

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

@ROKTOY What I'm really want to know is who took the deep end? I need to see this vertically challenged flounder mission in action! :

Big ups for getting the whole family out. Great to see you were successful!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    @ROKTOY What I'm really want to know is who took the deep end?

Thats why we started to fish on the outgoing tide.
    Last set I was on tip toes to get back to shore just after turn of the tide.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
    stingray and Shearer like this.

Got Dad out this morning and picked a spot where he wouldn't have to get wet and could drag from shore.
    17 this morning.
    Name:  IMG_20220404_073840.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  5.89 MB
    Name:  IMG_20220404_075439.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  6.14 MB
    rugerman, stingray, Pengy and 6 others like this.

Shit nice haul, some bloody good eating there

A very relaxed flounder drag this morning. The familiar folks along with a couple of hounds!

Wonderful conditions clear, still, but a high low so water everywhere and deep channels , so we dug what we could, laughed, swam , harvested cockles , watched a flight of swans and feeding birds call to each other be for landing. I think Aaron really enjoyed that.

Once again a bit of experience/ knowledge saw us on the win after dragging logs , weed and a few flats @ROKTOY suggested a spot he had a bit of success with a couple of weeks before and great intel provided the goods with a monk fish and some solid flats.

With young blokes splashing each other and wrestling in the tide ,dogs chasing each other and crashing about and the tide flooding the flats rather than pushing up the channels we pulled the pin.

Another one of life's treats, plans made, yarns shared, Jess broke Rouge again he's a limping sleeping lump, folded up and snoring on his bed.

Thanks guys a perfect catch up
    Nil durum volenti !!

Give a mates your net, they will fill it ….

Made a grand plan to prospect a new reach …but made an arse of myself by over committing ..dropped gear off to @ROKTOY’s place headed to hockey duty.

Got to hockey found out I’d got my weekends wrong, “ bloody idiot” …enjoyed the game being played and away home geared up headed to the happy hunting ground…guys had changed the plan for a spot Roktoy knew and hoped would be a successful introduction for @axeman.

I arrived half way through the drag, it was a great low tide , warm sun on our backs , dogs tearing about …yarns flowing…the drag was beached with plenty of life showing …bugger me 4 large flats in one pocket …ohh bugger 3 rays two side by side in the middle if the net and a beast lying in the top corner ..they were wonderfully calm, we lifted the first free easily the second had the cord net wrapped around its barb …with some ginger moments we freed that one and then over to the beast.. it to a bit of lift untwist then the net off it’s solid barb. Then two of us grabbed a wing each and put the beast back into the tide.

Keeping a eye on the beast we set our drag above it , dogs swimming being yelled at , our beautiful ladies yarning laughing and offering advice we sent @axeman over to the deep side ..drag your feet , go up , go down , go shallow , no deeper than that , the poor bugger had more advice than anyone needs, but as we found the gutter shallowing tails and splash’s appeared in the drag, a boil told a story of another ray so into shore it came ..tails appeared the gang went silent as large delicious flats were beached, a quick and easy release of old stinker, and we were gutting fish.

We binned the net headed back down to the honey hole ..another quick drag had a few more beautiful flats , a count up and a sort out we binned the net , cracked a beer. @axeman and Aaron selected a feed of cockles, the sun set, we ditched wetsuits for warm cloths, sat on Ute trays and shared out fish , young Aaron doing duty.

With the chill in the air we said our goodbyes, everyone with fish to share and plenty of homes to gift them into ..another slice of life with wonderful folks.

Shared knowledge saw another successful outing.
    Nil durum volenti !!