Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree14481Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Man it is literally flat calm everywhere !!

Launched at grossies 6am, dead low tide. Heaps of boats on trailers parked up waiting on water.
    Only one other fella with a small boat bothered to try.

Just had to walk it a bit right at the start, rest was sweet. @veitnamcam unreal how much that mouth has changed ah. The old channel markers were well and truly on the sand this morning but that new cut was sweet.

Showed .5m all the way

Great to have dad on my boat today that doesn't happen often. He loved it the boys kept him entertained, the fishing was hot. Took no photos but filled the bin

Flavour of the day was whole pillys on the stray line. Couldn't get them under the boat today !

Probably my favorite way to catch them, just gota love that 'zzziiiiizzzzzzzzz' !!! Pick-up to hook-up rate only about 50% tho.

Get a great scrap out of them but
    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Excellent

Gotta love snaps on the strayline.
    stingray and kukuwai like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    That's some nice work guys
    yeah ya really earn ya chips as a skipper when the weather cuts up and you have to come in over a bar that has breaking waves on it. No 2nd chances and get it wrong and your going for a roll and rinse.

Yeah M Duck, I have seen those little lights with the long handle on for putting under the water. Does it make much difference from the light from the top method ? last till I went spearing was with a tilly lantern about 30 years ago but really want to give it a go again this summer.
    you dont get surface glare.....one of the best setups Ive seen was strip lighting underneath a sit on kayak.....
    veitnamcam, rugerman and stingray like this.

Yep wicked day on the water. started late, first set line down at 11.45am.....rod fished for 1.5 hrs and got a couple very respectable snaps and a gurnard. Back to the set lines.....wow, great fish great condition. Photos to come. 2 hrs fishing, 3 hrs filleting.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    2 hrs fishing, 3 hrs filleting.
    Haha ain't that the truth

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

photos for proof
    Name:  20211107_151122_resized.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  303.9 KB
    almost feel bad about how much we got......but by the time I have done my drop off's on the way home I didn't end up with much which suits me and a lots of smiles from the one that received.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Yep wicked day on the water. started late, first set line down at 11.45am.....rod fished for 1.5 hrs and got a couple very respectable snaps and a gurnard. Back to the set lines.....wow, great fish great condition. Photos to come. 2 hrs fishing, 3 hrs filleting.
    3hours filleting=maybe 150kgs of fillets.......and Im not fast by anymeans......find someone who knows their stuff and learn easy way to do it...and get decent knives,it makes HUGE difference....
    stingray and screamO like this.

I have chilly bin envy lol
    It might fit in my boat just but no room for me

Good day @screamO
    And yes it feels good to dish a few fish out around the neighborhood.
    stingray, Beaker, screamO and 2 others like this.

Fishing in 108m yesterday off Napier and hauled this up.

A guy with us said Holy shit, that's a spotted gurnard which are as rare as hell. I'd never heard of, let alone seen one. Bugger me, caught another one not five minutes later. Apparently they are also known as a Japanese gurnard. I'm probably now responsible for finishing off the whole species.
    veitnamcam, NRT, rugerman and 11 others like this.

Very cool.

Flat as up here to.
    Good morning out today. 14 snaps and 1 45cm gurnard. Most snaps around 36 to 42. 3 around 45.
    4 families having fish for dinner.

Name:  IMG_20211110_111240.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  4.47 MB
    Name:  IMG_20211110_115840.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  4.37 MB
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Looks pretty awesome, let us know if it tastes like an orange carrot or has a bit of lemon zing

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Fishing in 108m yesterday off Napier and hauled this up.

A guy with us said Holy shit, that's a spotted gurnard which are as rare as hell. I'd never heard of, let alone seen one. Bugger me, caught another one not five minutes later. Apparently they are also known as a Japanese gurnard. I'm probably now responsible for finishing off the whole species.
    Beaker and Micky Duck like this.

Looks like one hell of a sweet day
    I like ya bait board rocket launcher set up. I'm trying to decide if I design and build something similar, or just buy something close. Mine didn't come with a bait board.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Flat as up here to.
    Good morning out today. 14 snaps and 1 45cm gurnard. Most snaps around 36 to 42. 3 around 45.
    4 families having fish for dinner.

Attachment 183219
    Attachment 183220
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Looks like one hell of a sweet day
    I like ya bait board rocket launcher set up. I'm trying to decide if I design and build something similar, or just buy something close. Mine didn't come with a bait board.
    Thanks.
    Get one with a draw underneath (for tackle) . Also, not one with a lip - like this. It's a pain. Need one that's flat onto the board, so you can skin fillets....
    rugerman and kukuwai like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Flounder Friday ..offered up a few spots to blokes from work for a after work beer ..chuck a net and bloke into the tide see if we could harvest a few flats …well only one took up the offer.

So rung round the blokes and hooked one.

So dropped tools, headed to the wet stuff ..found the tide still holding in the estuary, so had a beer and a explore …hadn’t fished here since before the big rains ..
    Things certainly had changed sand banks had moved and our regular dragging channel was non existent it was now eel grass filled rapid of depth and widths …the bottom of it is now a wide shallow bank filled with rottin shell …

Cleared the net again with no result , found a clean patch dragged that slowly with a strong ebbing tide ….new mate called bites and I replied I’m think old stinker is in my side …hauled the net and Roktoy lifted the flatty out of the net …old stinker got worked up and wanted out …so rolled the net off him and sent on his way .
    I called for another spot and we binned the net only to find another couple of bonus flatties hiding quietly in the drag..

Next spot saw the flood push , Aaron harvested cockles and we dragged a net full of weed and a we treat of another flatty plus a very tame and polite 50 -60 kg ray he sat in the drag allowed us to drop the net ..then unfortunately exploded swam back into the net got its barb tangled , sat sulking as we shook it loose again, gave us the big finger with a shower of water and sand as it headed away , a beautiful powerful creature lined with blue and cream lines ..that was us packed our rig and changed into dry cloths.

Sun set into our eyes pulled into my place shared the fish , yarned a bit more before letting my guests go to prepare for a day of fishing with VC tomorrow..slayem guys your deserve a good run after your patience this arvo. Cheers for your efforts!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Up this morning a bit foggy and well over tired.
    Roktoy and Son arrived....I got a txt "are we early?" Well maybe that depends if I said quarter to or quarter past and I can't remember
    Out to Grossies point to launch, we were just casting off and a yell from shore and @kukuwai was just launching too.
    Straight out to random spot but depth that has been producing dropped a longline then burlyed hard.
    5kilo salmon burly didn't last long and two more pilchard burlys sure did the trick.
    Mini me was first on the board as usual with a little snap we put back then Keith got this nice fish.
    Name:  IMG_20211120_064208.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  5.04 MB

Name:  IMG_20211120_070053.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  4.59 MB
    I managed one similar then was pretty busy doing skipper type stuff netting fish pumping burly etc.
    The boys wore themselves out catching fish and ended up leaving us oldys to it as the burly petered out.
    We released a fair few legal but smaller fish pulled up longline for three more nice snapper.
    Name:  IMG_20211120_091829.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  5.83 MB
    stingray, Beaker, 6x47 and 7 others like this.