Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree14730Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

What a cracker morning

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Frickin awesome Cam & @ROKTOY

I should have just had the one coffee this morning we would have been there at the same time

Had a wee chuckle to myself, looked like a full boat. Not surprized you were busy on board cam.

It was actually the second day in a row for me and the young fella. Teachers only day at the primary school yesterday so only one thing to do on a teachers only day !!

Yesterdays fishing was pretty sharp, exactly the same spot but much quieter today for us.
    No complaints tho as still managed a mean feed, living the dream i reckon

The boy managed to catch this today so i deployed it on my bait runner. Might have been a bit shallow for a JD but when ever possible im gunna send out a live bait in hope

Don't think i would get away with three mornings in a row but shit I'm keen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

@kukuwai Chaos onboard when there are three fish hooked up and one net to go round. Im a rookie so only mildly useful.
    Go three for three you know you want to.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Frickin awesome Cam & @ROKTOY

I should have just had the one coffee this morning we would have been there at the same time

Had a wee chuckle to myself, looked like a full boat. Not surprized you were busy on board cam.

It was actually the second day in a row for me and the young fella. Teachers only day at the primary school yesterday so only one thing to do on a teachers only day !!

Yesterdays fishing was pretty sharp, exactly the same spot but much quieter today for us.
    No complaints tho as still managed a mean feed, living the dream i reckon

The boy managed to catch this today so i deployed it on my bait runner. Might have been a bit shallow for a JD but when ever possible im gunna send out a live bait in hope

Don't think i would get away with three mornings in a row but shit I'm keen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Yea I really need to have a dedicated live bait rig set up ready to go in the tackle box for just such a situation. ...often think it but haven't acted on it....yet.
    stingray, Micky Duck, MB and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

MB
    Small livies catch all sorts of interesting things. I don't do any bait fishing, but make an exception when an appropriately sized baitfish comes aboard.
    veitnamcam, Shearer and kukuwai like this.

Jealous as hell! Great results for guys getting up early and putting the effort in! From what I heard over drinks tonight you did very well, Nelson ramp and out wide 30 meter + spikes and small Kahawai …
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Jealous as hell! Great results for guys getting up early and putting the effort in! From what I heard over drinks tonight you did very well, Nelson ramp and out wide 30 meter + spikes and small Kahawai …
    Sent Dad 10m Friday.....he slayed it heading home by 9am.....cousin went 20m got owned by spikys.
    stingray and Micky Duck like this.

MB
    Tell me to mind my own northern business, but if spiny dogfish are such a problem down there and snapper are the target, I'd be polishing my lure fishing skills.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Tell me to mind my own northern business, but if spiny dogfish are such a problem down there and snapper are the target, I'd be polishing my lure fishing skills.
    Yes we do lure fish to try avoid them, do catch less but still catch them.
    The main problem with them is our southern sailfish are extremely attracted to lures and that gets expensive.

The spikeys become less of a problem from now threw to late summer, yesterday we caught well over 20 snapper and only had one bycatch of a kahawai .

Can you guys smoke us up a few snapper and post em off to the UK for me and Mrs Sideshow plz
    stingray and Shearer like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yes we do lure fish to try avoid them, do catch less but still catch them.
    The main problem with them is our southern sailfish are extremely attracted to lures and that gets expensive.
    Shit, rock and hard place! We get coutta up here in the winter. Don't mind catching the odd one to liven up a quiet day, but as you say, it can get expensive with lures. My regular fishing buddy practices catch, kill and release.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Shit, rock and hard place! We get coutta up here in the winter. Don't mind catching the odd one to liven up a quiet day, but as you say, it can get expensive with lures. My regular fishing buddy practices catch, kill and release.
    Best defense I have found is to fish shallow while the water is cold.
    The snapper here go deep during winter anyway and most of that westcoast/outersounds/cook straight area is really out of reach in my wee boat.
    We should have at least 5 months of good snapper fishing for little fuel use ahead of us tho.
    stingray, Micky Duck, MB and 1 others like this.

With the best forcast I'd seen in a while myself and the missus decided to take the wee surtees out wide to mayor for a spear and an explore, goal was to cover some ground shoot a few different species and have a poke around to see if we could locate and tick off a giant boarfish.

Easy run out and upon arriva was greeted with millpond seas, 20m vis and about 30 boats on tahua reef.

Jumped in and the missus shot a butter and I plugged a good eating kingy within about 20 minutes, had seen a few sharks allready and they came in quickly after the king so we called that good and shot inshore to try a new spot and have a look for a some snaps. Quick swim at the next spot spooked a 20 pounder and shot a decent fish on the snoop. Box ticked we shot around the corner to the paua spot, jumping in on a couple of weedlines on the way.

Saw a bunch more kings and grabbed a few snails then back down to try and finally find the elusive boarfish.(they have been my spearo achillies heel, been hunting them for 3 years without luck)

Worked a weedline out deeper finding a pressure spot in about 17m that was holding some bait, did a couple of drops, and sitting out over the sand, a bloody boarfish! had a bit of a round about swim to approach(had to swim up, along and the back down on top of it) was running out of puff and rushed the shot, bloody missed! Was feeling pretty blood pissed at myself, and spent the next 30 minutes combing the wider area looking for the fish, after a good 6 or 7 dives, saw a couple tanker kingis cruising in, one easily 30kg plus. Would have been my pb so started lining up on that and what swims along underneath? Another bloody boarfish! Likely the other fishes mate. Decisions were quickly made and I took off after the boarfish, which just tailed along 10m in front of me before spooking off into the weed. Gutted!

Did a few more dives, spewing that I'd missed an oppertunity on not one but 2! Was getting late and missus was on the boat keen to bail so called it last dive, big breathe up, dropped onto a perfect divot in the weed and started kicking up a little sand. hung out for 30 seconds or so and what do you know, our mate the boarfish comes cruising in to check out the commotion. no mistake this time, lined him up and put a spear through his brain. Super stoked, put a lot of effort trying to bag one of these. Easy cruise back and paua fritters for tea.

Boary for dinner tonight, was bloody epic. Like a cross between jd and kingy.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, NRT, stingray and 6 others like this.

Now that's a good day out.

Name:  IMG_20211121_084151_5.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  3.75 MB
    We went out to the Waikawau mussel farms yesterday. Made it a late start to avoid the queues. Worked out good. Ended up with 14 snapper 35 to 50 cm and a trevally.