Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree14600Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Took a random old chap off the internet out today. He has moved down from the manakou, he wants to learn the local fishery and is retired so can fish during the week.
    Conditions were good, a bit of that cold catabatic easterly but not as bad as the other day.
    Fishing was pretty good for small tides midday fishing.
    No longline,a couple burlys we kept 11 or 12 really good size gurnard and realeased 6-8 legal but bit smaller models.
    One good Kahawai and as the current dropped the spiky dogs turned up and I got the shits with it and went for a cod. 3 legal blues one good one called it and come in before the high to be able to get on the trailer in the creek.
    All in all a very productive couple of hours rod fishing.
    Name:  IMG_20220707_112416.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  5.70 MB
    Name:  IMG_20220707_131044.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  4.89 MB
    rugerman, stingray, mikee and 12 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nice Carrots VC, is there any typical ground / worm beds for then that you target or is just a case of drifting around and finding them?

is that arch out around the island? looks pretty impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Nice Carrots VC, is there any typical ground / worm beds for then that you target or is just a case of drifting around and finding them?

is that arch out around the island? looks pretty impressive
    While the gurnard are pretty much everywhere inshore in winter they can be caught in numbers in as little as 3m .....which is good because the spiky dogs tend to be deeper out in the mud.
    Doesnt mean you wont catch sharks in shallow but you will definitely catch less of them.
    For gurnard in winter I target banks and change in bottom type in areas with current but far enough from reef to not be overwhelmed with undersized cod.
    Basically its a juggling act from being too deep out on the mud and getting sharked out and too close to the reef and codded out.

People can and do drift fish the bays for gurnard.....you will catch gurnard like this no doubt and I have done it a number of times but I believe this method is more suited to those restricted in range and load capacity like the multitudes of kayak fisherpersons in Nelson.

I have the ability and means to fish slightly further afeild so feel that I should/have a moral responsibility not to hammer the close in spots and by going further afeild I can target current and ankor and burly the fish in.

That particular arch is out on the reef structure that sticks out from hori bay.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    5 more games of hockey and maybe a final …fishing is back on! Bloody hell every evening is still and clear every the estuary is holding vis …maybe a SOS flounder trip to remind me of what they look like!!
    Night time spearing mission.

Name:  FB_IMG_1657226063522.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  72.2 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1657225650850.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  110.8 KB

"The night before a fishing trip" , that should be in the Truths thread !
    Micky Duck and Strummer like this.

Name:  F55FA7C7-EC78-42C3-80C0-67CD21A91A06.jpeg
Views: 204
Size:  30.5 KBName:  BA21EF2A-BCB1-4F24-A6F1-548633030F75.jpeg
Views: 192
Size:  67.4 KB
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Name:  289650567_10158926994458325_5036560185629800013_n.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  503.4 KB
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Do you find the gurnard respond to burley trails, @veitnamcam ? I normally drift around with a softbait and get onto them that way.

I'm going to target fishing in the wash a bit more this summer. See if I can lure out any kelpies

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Do you find the gurnard respond to burley trails, @veitnamcam ? I normally drift around with a softbait and get onto them that way.

I'm going to target fishing in the wash a bit more this summer. See if I can lure out any kelpies
    Yes they are absolute suckers for a burly trail.....thats why I cant be bothered drifting around for them.

Today I got to wet a line, weather sport and a daughter all got there shit together and we bugger off to okiwi, it was a last minute plan so my youngest drove whilst I had a beer and yarned ..arrived at the batch ..into bed .

Up to a hell of a frost so raising my darling daughter took a bit …raised the angry bear out of her den..had a feed and a couple of brews of tea then set sail . Down to the coast bashed a few cod. My darling daughter slaughtered a couple of beauties which improved her mood no end.

Had smoko set the burley with some current for carrots snagged two then the shit fish came on the chew …moved two more carrots the the same shit fish swallowing hooks …

Pulled the pin at high tide headed in early and cleaned up , sat in the afternoon sun with my daughter yarning laughing before packing up and coming home.

Vis was rubbish so didn’t even gear up for a dive. Plenty of birds about but no bait schools .

Saw new born lambs on the way home …spring is coming and along with it the snapper and blue water.
    Nil durum volenti !!

MB
    So I get home from work after a 12 hour shift and the Mrs tells me the boys (one is mine, the other is his mate) have got their heart set on fishing tomorrow. Not wanting to let them down, I've just spent the last two hours getting everything ready. Quick run out the harbour for snapper in deeper water, then back in as the wind is picking up at 10am. After that, it'll be filthy bait and burley fishing in the harbour, if I can even remember how to do it. Boys have high expectations and want to bring a fish home each

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    So I get home from work after a 12 hour shift and the Mrs tells me the boys (one is mine, the other is his mate) have got their heart set on fishing tomorrow. Not wanting to let them down, I've just spent the last two hours getting everything ready. Quick run out the harbour for snapper in deeper water, then back in as the wind is picking up at 10am. After that, it'll be filthy bait and burley fishing in the harbour, if I can even remember how to do it. Boys have high expectations and want to bring a fish home each
    If anything will catch a fish bait and burly will everytime

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If anything will catch a fish bait and burly will everytime
    Its all a bit boring though

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Its all a bit boring though
    Catching fish is boring?
    Micky Duck likes this.