Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree14746Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You lost me at porridge
    But a nice mornea (can't spell poncy words) with all the meat from the body is the way I generally go
    Sorry, you may got me wrong, there was no poncy words or meanings of any kind. lobster rice porridge soup is most popular in Hong Kong, I had several times and felt that was good, especially for hangovers.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yip that’s sums up life right now ..simple but delicious. Great company, even better that the VCs young bloke went from floating to actually hitting the bottom and hunting / seeing fish …we had a trio of very keepable to large boff head blues hunting crays with me, they were that ballsy that when I had a cray in hand and was putting in in the sack the blue cod was trying to get a leg off it!

Got to the boat and told my story only to hear that both VC and his lad had seen the same fish , young VC showed a great deal of enthusiasm…so with a few more dives and the summers blue water adding up to a bit more experience, I’m pretty sure that we will find that we’ve ruined another fine gentleman …he will waste his wages and weekends on dive gear and fuel $$$.

That said I’d hate to be feeding the lump right now, the tucker box didn’t stand a chance! He got out of the water inhaled a couple of well filled bread rolls , eyed up my second that disappeared, then when VC said “ yeah Son , you can have the last one …gulp and gone …I’m pretty damn sure the crays in the chilly bin were getting nervous as well.

Add Roktoys young Aaron to a dive day and we will be towing a tender full of tucker to keep the wolves from the door.
    madjon_, Pengy, Beaker and 4 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Anyone else out having a crack?

We got some nice fish coming on board

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    rugerman, stingray, Pengy and 7 others like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

That’s a couple of fantastic fish!
    kukuwai likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Did yesterday in the dark southName:  IMG_20221112_101508.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  3.26 MBhad the youngest out on his 1st outting on the boat and 1st fishing expedition with dad and grandad
    stingray, Pengy, Beaker and 5 others like this.

@Padox Good Stuff !!

Well it turned out to be an outstanding morning on the water. Ended up releasing 12 snapper which was more than we kept.
    There was no chance that I was going to be allowed to let this one go tho !!

There were several times when we had more than one fish on at the same time. A few gurnard, kahawai and even a couple of travelly made for a good mixed bin.

Back on the trailer just after 9am, gotta love that. But the fishing was easy part. I have just finished the clean up/filleting/vacume packing and smoking the frames etc.

It was raw travelly with soy and wasabi for lunch and now it is time for one of these

Cheers !!

Last edited by kukuwai; 13-11-2022 at 01:39 PM.
    stingray, Pengy, deer243 and 6 others like this.

Hey @Padox what's the story with that trace set up your lad is using. Looks interesting !! Whats that black stuff on the backbone of it for.....barracuda protection?

Yea just to stop the cod rolling ur trace up does stop kuda and sharks 2 tho
    kukuwai likes this.

Life lessons, another trip to the flounder flats this evening …bit a pieces of crew…some unfortunately are at sea , others looked at the weather and bailed out ..

then there are the souls that just keep turning up keen as every bloody time…thanks guys!

So we arrived as we do , with myself doing the intel on the tides , picking to get to fish the very last of the ebb tide as stingray season is here. Well that worked perfectly except that once again , the ebb tide ran out but the water remained once again on a very low tide ..so perhaps things have changed down stream?

Anyway we set to fishing ..testing the waters down stream of our normal hot spot due to the wide channels and the fact that I’ve being told to much fresh water puts the fish off , then I got told that flounder like the fresh/ tepid water because it kills the lice that live in their gills etc ..

Well any way we dragged the wides and felt a few hits so thought that we were doing ok. ..beached the net to find 8 outstanding fish snagged in the trawl …well that did the light a fire under our arses …a quick clean out back into the a bit of a wander saw us land another handful of average keepers and a few shorts and a heap of sticks and cockles etc …

So with that we sent Roktoy and his net up stream to a nice clean looking bend in the channel , Roktoy and my neighbour fished the first bit of the flood but pulled out early!

With a net pretty free of weed and crap myself and the import set out again , and with a flooding tide pushing hard we felt the odd hit …surprisingly we had a short angry man hurling abuse at us about it being his net , his spot , that we were drinking his beer etc …all the while his son and two dogs dug a feed of cockles ..

Well we hauled the drag as the flood spilled over the estuary to find a bounty of wonderfully conditioned fish, a good number of delicious flats were binned and cleaned ..everyone doing their bit from gutting to tiding up the net ..then with dry ground becoming a rarity we waded our way back to the trucks.

The rain set in as we changed into dry cloths , the catch was shared out to those that had family and friends that would appreciate a fresh flounder and away home to a hot shower.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Name:  20221124_210637.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  3.33 MB
    Name:  20221124_200027.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  2.46 MB
    madjon_, rugerman, Beaker and 4 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

A great evening in the tide, despite the constant harassment.
    That's a good net huh, shame about the owner? LOL
    Good company and a good haul of seafood. I'm glad we keep going back.

With last weekend a wash out and most of the week too windy, we were keen as this morning.

Boys were up early and out the door. Big low tide so only the little boats out the channel early today. Very shallow, greatfull for the auxiliary

Rods were constantly going with most fish of the 'panny' variety. Many were were hooked nicely in the corner of the mouth so easily released !!

Then a big bend and some head shakes....it turned out to be a 74cm kingi so back over the side it went. Very exciting none the less

Back on the trailer at 9.30 with a very respectable bin of fish and some happy lads. Another good morning on the salt.

Forecast for early tomorrow looking good so get amongst it you local fellas

You might see the other Brent H out there tomorrow too.
    Pengy and kukuwai like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Don’t forget your burley and squid bait !
    veitnamcam and Shearer like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Don’t forget your burley and squid bait !
    Hmm
    Name:  received_715584352900571.jpeg
Views: 232
Size:  263.4 KB
    rugerman, mikee, Beaker and 6 others like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1