Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree14751Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

I should of clicked on your link before I started writing... yip thats the fish.
    veitnamcam and kukuwai like this.

Would anyone know if it is worth trying to target Tuna out from Pelorus sound i.e. how far out into the straight would you need to go to find the blue water/right temp conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    Would anyone know if it is worth trying to target Tuna out from Pelorus sound i.e. how far out into the straight would you need to go to find the blue water/right temp conditions?
    Yep I reckon it would be. Especially at the moment, blue water is real easy to find !! Albacore are happy in anything over 18 deg. Plenty of fish in 20.5 deg water in tasman bay at the moment.

The more splash out the back the better.... ie: run as many lures as you can handle

Most importantly keep your heads out of the boat, look for any signs of life.

The old man reckons its "boredom, interspersed with moments of madness".

Those moments are the stuff dreams are made of

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    I was out past the heads the other week in a bit roughish conditions hoping to have a groper drop but being solo it wasnt a runner. Headed out on an angle towards Kapiti Island [but no where near it] and was in 16.8 degrees of water, in the 4 or 5 I guess km's I travelled I had hit 18.8 and it was still climbing when I turned around, colour of the water was a nice blue. I was following a line on the sounder my boy had been on a few weeks prior to me being there and they had seen tuna jumping. More than doable imo.
    stingray and kukuwai like this.

Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Out with Dad today to try for a tuna.
    Had some Intel they were around in 25m off of the Glen so he steamed straight out in the middle instead
    Had a troll, got a rat king didn't see anything no birds nothing.
    Attachment 217175
    Was nearly top of tide when he got sick of that and decided to snapper fish for 2 hours of no current and punishing sun.
    He managed a panni snap and a couple gurnard and a nice Trev, I hid from the sun and got a couple of big grey boys.
    Buggered off back in to 20m to find some current while we still had half a burly left and I got my first John Dory on some squid on the stray line.
    I thought they were spos to be lazy but it went on a couple of good runs for a start before tiring out.
    Attachment 217174
    Then next up a nice 65 cm snap put up a good fight from way out the back.

Attachment 217173

I'm not going fishing for at least a day...too much sun.
    This time my come back on April, one of the mission is the completely explore Marlborough region from sea to hidden stream in the mountain and bush. Spent two days before in 2018 but the rains stopped me to go further. I believe Marlborough region can provide more than Qtwn area, just few people notice the potential as same as the Mackenzie country.
    stingray likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

MB
    Having a weekend break with the family in the Far North. Couldn't resist getting up early to flick a microjig off the beach. First cast and boom!

veitnamcam, AMac, stingray and 8 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    A perfect result then.
    MB likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Folks down okiwi , gave them my Tuna lures with very bloody precise instructions to Ma ….because Da is a old navy diver and if I say white he yells black …so they headed out to find a swell running , dragged the shiny stuff down to paddock rocks at 45 meters ..they had boats inside them and out even wider …dolphins a few lazy gannets but not a nibble ..

So it was a bust ..bashed some cod as the family does got a feed of pannies with the burley at 30 meteres ..wind started so they headed for home , afternoon tea and a fish gut in a lea shore caught the last of the tide got the boat out ..

Ma / Da looking for intel are folks still catching Albies in Tasman bay ?
    kukuwai likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

I have a question...

Fishing with a live bait on a egg beater reel with the bail open. Anyone got a better idea than this?

It works ok with a small mackerel bait but didn't work at all with a slightly bigger kahawai liv'ie, the peg just wasn't strong enough to hold the line.

What do others use, cheers
    @stingray I had two mates out for tuna yesterday off the Able tazzy. One fella got none, one fella got 4 both working the 40m area. Sounds like there are less out there than there was a few weeks ago. Also the water temp has dropped a bit. Perhaps that SE last week has pushed them out a bit !! Think we might have another crack on tuesday if the weather is ok !

stingray and Pengy like this.

set your drag lightly,so balloon n fish wont move or it overspool when fish on a run,takes but a second to crank it back up when fish is on,thats what we do worming for trout.
    Pengy and kukuwai like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks @kukuwai, watching the fishing shows the use rubber bands for trolled baits.

Question why are you not fishing livvies in gear?…a kingy snack fished with a light drag …then dial up the drag to set the hook …

Are you fishing the mussel rafts where max drag is a requirement to skull drag the fish away from the lines
    kukuwai and sore head stoat like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Yep your onto it. We were tied to a mussel line today when that photo was taken.

It didn't matter tho as no kingis turned up

Heaps of boats out early today for a change....apparently there is a Nelson fishing comp on.

stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    set your drag lightly,so balloon n fish wont move or it overspool when fish on a run,takes but a second to crank it back up when fish is on,thats what we do worming for trout.
    My Trout real is actually Awesome for that. It is an old DAM which has the drag at the back. Don't seem to make them like that much any more.

stingray and Micky Duck like this.

Out early with @ROKTOY.
    Fishing was slow, caught a small mako that put on some good Arial displays before biting threw the trace.
    Bloody sea lice were eating the baits.Name:  IMG_20230304_070620.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  4.15 MB
    Got a couple of nice snapper as the light came then ran out of tide..... persevered for half the day for some pannies kahawai and more spiky dogs than I'd like.
    Back at the ramp it seems we had done better than most with everyone having a hard time on this side of the bay.
    stingray, Beaker, Shearer and 4 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.