Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree14740Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    What had the tuna been eating?
    We had a look in its stomach but couldnt see anything in it. We did see some very small (about an inch long) bait fish jumping away from them at one stage and that is what prompted us to try some kahawai lures.

Actually they were salmon wedges but no bites on those either @Shearer

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Shearer likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    We had a look in its stomach but couldnt see anything in it. We did see some very small (about an inch long) bait fish jumping away from them at one stage and that is what prompted us to try some kahawai lures.

Actually they were salmon wedges but no bites on those either @Shearer

That's fishing sometimes eh.
    veitnamcam, Beaker and kukuwai like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

As far as I know pilchards …blue and white lure worked very well , went to the shinny shop they said the same the pilchard lure was working, son and mates stopped in over the weekend the pilchard repala was smoking them.

When they had a fish on they would chuck a hand full of cubbed pilchards in to hold the rest of the school on the surface then dive in with spear guns to try and spear a tuna ..they got one each of various sizes nothing record breaking but epic fun.

Gutted the fish we boated it was just a gut bag of mush no identifiable fish .

So If I was to chase them in Tasman bay right now , I would have a least one blue and white lure , that said the one we boated was fought on the yellow orange blue lure …and the fish had not bitten but enhaled the lure with the hooks deep in its throat
    Beaker, Shearer, kukuwai and 1 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Question for you Nelson fellas please . Have any of you launched out of Whanganui Inlet and gone out to sea to around the 100m mark, is there a bar to cross, is the bar a bit dodgy at low tide ? Is it easy launching , ramp or beach launching ? nearest fuel ? Anything else I should know ? Or would you just launch at Tarakohe and head round Farewell spit, that however looks like a fair hike 60 to 80 km one way ?

We had blue and white rapala,3 commercial lures with greens orange and blues and the ones from okiwi bay.
    Of course if you're towing them where the fish aren't it won't matter what colour it is
    stingray, Shearer and kukuwai like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    Question for you Nelson fellas please . Have any of you launched out of Whanganui Inlet and gone out to sea to around the 100m mark, is there a bar to cross, is the bar a bit dodgy at low tide ? Is it easy launching , ramp or beach launching ? nearest fuel ? Anything else I should know ? Or would you just launch at Tarakohe and head round Farewell spit, that however looks like a fair hike 60 to 80 km one way ?
    Yes there is a bar and yes it can be very nasty.
    There is a ramp that is good at all but bottom of tide.
    There is very little parking.
    Nearest fuel is Collingwood I think?
    If you have a big boat 6.5m plus probably better to steam around from terakohi.
    stingray, mikee, kukuwai and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yes there is a bar to cross, there are even bars inside the inlet before you reach the one at the mouth. You really need to know where the channel is. The main bar can be dodgy at high or low tide it really depends on the conditions at sea.

There are three boat launching points within the inlet.

1. Just past the kaihoka lakes turn off on the right hand side of the road heading south, its very tidal with a lot of channels to navigate before the mouth.

2. About 1km past the wiaroa river on the right hand side heading south. Basically just of the side of the road into the river channel. Not possible for a big boat.

3. The mangarakau warf. Concrete ramp. On big tides definitely cant launch for 2hrs either side of low as there is a significant area of mud between the bottom of the ramp and the channel.

Its an awesome inlet and at time has excellant fishing within it. It is one of those places where you do really need to know it or be with someone who does.

Other option is to explore the inlet first in a small boat.

Hope that is of help

Fuel at pakawau store

35 ish years ago, there was a little place called the 'pakawau pickle pie palice' any chance of it still being there or anyone remember it?
    One of the best ham sandwiches I've ever had.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Thanks fellas, your advice is appreciated.

I have absolutely zero idea of bar crossings so I will probably avoid the inlet. I just looked at the sea temp at the 100m mark and its 21 degrees, gotta be a stick face out there in that.
    stingray, Shearer and kukuwai like this.

21.5 degree h2o in tasman bay today

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    As far as I know pilchards …blue and white lure worked very well , went to the shinny shop they said the same the pilchard lure was working, son and mates stopped in over the weekend the pilchard repala was smoking them.

When they had a fish on they would chuck a hand full of cubbed pilchards in to hold the rest of the school on the surface then dive in with spear guns to try and spear a tuna ..they got one each of various sizes nothing record breaking but epic fun.

Gutted the fish we boated it was just a gut bag of mush no identifiable fish .

So If I was to chase them in Tasman bay right now , I would have a least one blue and white lure , that said the one we boated was fought on the yellow orange blue lure …and the fish had not bitten but enhaled the lure with the hooks deep in its throat
    Purple tuna lures, afternoon to late evening, 2km off the the Island place near where you like to drag a net!!
    Big uns, 7-8kgs last night was what a friend reported
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

We have a nasty SE blow coming through later this week …I’d save my fuel until that moves through ..then see where the blue water and fish are holding …that just my opinion..but we in Tasman bay are at the mercy of the strait and west coast….in my non scientific nor trained opinion..just looking at Windyty for the next few days
    Last edited by stingray; 21-02-2023 at 11:52 PM.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Purple tuna lures, afternoon to late evening, 2km off the the Island place near where you like to drag a net!!
    Big uns, 7-8kgs last night was what a friend reported
    That’s some epic fish ..
    Nil durum volenti !!

I just looked at the sea temp at the 100m mark and its 21 degrees, gotta be a stick face out there in that.
    @sore head stoat
    There has actually been a stick face caught out there before.

It was back in 2016. The 'rod man' was a local butcher and good friend of mine. Its a fantastic yarn to hear in person but this was all i could find online unfortunately.

An awesome effort it was

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/has...pic115632.html

veitnamcam and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    @sore head stoat
    There has actually been a stick face caught out there before.

It was back in 2016. The 'rod man' was a local butcher and good friend of mine. Its a fantastic yarn to hear in person but this was all i could find online unfortunately.

An awesome effort it was

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/has...pic115632.html

that maybe the fish that has motivated me to one day have a try. As I remember the story, 2 local fellas set off cod fishing rounding Farewell Spit with an albacore rod set up just in case they came across Albert , instead they saw a marlin and trolled the albie lure and they caught it. The photo I remember was the fish hung up in an apple store cool room in Crimpys Fishing magazine ? Same fish ?