Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree14739Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

BFA
    I'd like to find out that's the case, the bay we stay at in QC Sound has plenty of stargazers and a distinct lack of anything else. I filleted and fried it, maybe I'll be more adventurous with my cooking next time. In my defence, my BiL couldn't eat it either, and he lived in India and PNG for a while- the stories of his gastronomic exploits leave me feeling quite ill!
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BFA View Post
    I'd like to find out that's the case, the bay we stay at in QC Sound has plenty of stargazers and a distinct lack of anything else. I filleted and fried it, maybe I'll be more adventurous with my cooking next time. In my defence, my BiL couldn't eat it either, and he lived in India and PNG for a while- the stories of his gastronomic exploits leave me feeling quite ill!
    Try the recipe AMac posted up. #142
    BFA likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BFA View Post
    I'd like to find out that's the case, the bay we stay at in QC Sound has plenty of stargazers and a distinct lack of anything else. I filleted and fried it, maybe I'll be more adventurous with my cooking next time. In my defense, my BiL couldn't eat it either, and he lived in India and PNG for a while- the stories of his gastronomic exploits leave me feeling quite ill!
    It's weird to fry, the flesh seems so dense that it is hard to get cooked through - Bro in law fried some up inside the bach and gawd what a stink my wife has never let him forget about the pong. But in an Indian/Thai/other curry or a stew like moqueca it holds together well and its really nice.
    Shearer and BFA like this.

Fishing next weekend for me! taking a few of my work mates down to the bach for the weekend
    veitnamcam, rugerman and stingray like this.

After last weekends trout fishing and a few days holed up due to all the rain, it was time to hit the saltwater.

Ziggy the dog and I ventured out onto the mudflats to target the incoming tide to fish the channel edges. With water the colour of mud a bit of rain and a strong NE blowing the tide on the turn, it wasnt long before I had a small Skippy and Jack Mack on the beach been cut into long strips for fresh bait.

Baitcaster mode engaged and a few tentative runs, who doesnt love the sound of a bait runner peeling off, soon enough this Snapper came home for dinner. Had another couple of strong runs with one solid hookup only to drop the snapper half way in. This one was enough for dinner and it was home to cook up Fried spuds and Baked Snapper. Good way to spend an afternoon and the dog had fun chasing seagulls and been on bait chasing duty getting covered in mud.

Name:  mudfish.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  1.42 MB

The snapper was soon baked on the webber baby Q stuffed with onions, red peppers, chili, ginger and the most important ingredient butter......

Name:  baked fish.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  1.56 MB

Cheers FBD

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    After last weekends trout fishing and a few days holed up due to all the rain, it was time to hit the saltwater.

Ziggy the dog and I ventured out onto the mudflats to target the incoming tide to fish the channel edges. With water the colour of mud a bit of rain and a strong NE blowing the tide on the turn, it wasnt long before I had a small Skippy and Jack Mack on the beach been cut into long strips for fresh bait.

Baitcaster mode engaged and a few tentative runs, who doesnt love the sound of a bait runner peeling off, soon enough this Snapper came home for dinner. Had another couple of strong runs with one solid hookup only to drop the snapper half way in. This one was enough for dinner and it was home to cook up Fried spuds and Baked Snapper. Good way to spend an afternoon and the dog had fun chasing seagulls and been on bait chasing duty getting covered in mud.

Attachment 223183

The snapper was soon baked on the webber baby Q stuffed with onions, red peppers, chili, ginger and the most important ingredient butter......

Attachment 223187

Cheers FBD
    That dog doesnt look too fat.
    Micky Duck and Fat belly Dog like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    That dog doesnt look too fat.
    Its This Old dog thats got the condition on him...
    stingray, Beaker, Shearer and 3 others like this.

ok guys just after a bit of info on bait cannons , age 70+ and a few medical probs i'm not getting the range i used to
    with my old warehouse silstar . has anyone here used one or had experience with one , thank you .

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    ok guys just after a bit of info on bait cannons , age 70+ and a few medical probs i'm not getting the range i used to
    with my old warehouse silstar . has anyone here used one or had experience with one , thank you .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvgQJfF1mO4&t=1570s
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.

Due to the rather damp conditions outside today I have been mucking around inside with some fishing gear. Tried a little experiment and it seemed to work. A snake proof jig rig. Plastic coated wire attached directly to mainline with an FG knot. It seems to hold. Just the thing for winter @stingray
    Name:  IMG_E3917[1].JPG
Views: 210
Size:  1.05 MB

A work of art @Shearer!

But we bait fishermen target gurnard and other delicious fish in the winter rather than snakes!
    Shearer likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    A work of art @Shearer!

But we bait fishermen target gurnard and other delicious fish in the winter rather than snakes!
    Like spiny dogs?

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Plastic coated wire attached directly to mainline with an FG knot. It seems to hold. Just the thing for winter
    It's neat (and I like neat!), but do you need an FG knot? Presumably you're not winding the wire through the rod guides? My concern would be that under high tension, the braid would strip the plastic off the wire.
    Spudattack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    It's neat (and I like neat!), but do you need an FG knot? Presumably you're not winding the wire through the rod guides? My concern would be that under high tension, the braid would strip the plastic off the wire.
    Yes. I see your point about stripping the plastic off the wire. I hadn't thought of that.
    The idea of the FG was to keep a minimal connection. The glorious southern sailfish will slash at anything shiny/making bubbles so you don't want to use swivels of even crimps as they will target them as well as the lure. I was only going to use 100mm or so of wire from the lure so no, it won't be going anywhere near the guides. I have given the knot a pretty through test and they haven't shown any sign of slippage, braking a uni knot connection first. The braid seems to dig into the plastic pretty well. It may turn out to be a waste of time but worth a crack I guess.
    stingray likes this.

MB
    I'm always having ideas for fishing rigs. Some of them work out, others less so!

Tropical fly fishers and European pike anglers use knotable wires which may be of interest.
    Shearer likes this.