Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree14751Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Tried for a flounder on softbaits this morning, fishing the incoming tide, no luck. Bit early for Kahwai to be chasing bait up the creek, so into gathering mode.

The estuary provides again, cockles cooked in cream with onions, garlic and parsley all from the garden. Served on cursty sour dough and a crisp hazy pale ale. Perfect starter to the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Tried for a flounder on softbaits this morning, fishing the incoming tide, no luck. Bit early for Kahwai to be chasing bait up the creek, so into gathering mode.

The estuary provides again, cockles cooked in cream with onions, garlic and parsley all from the garden. Served on cursty sour dough and a crisp hazy pale ale. Perfect starter to the weekend.

That looks and sounds awesome!
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Bus driver
    Name:  IMG_1768.jpeg
Views: 317
Size:  3.08 MB

2 autumn kings(chinook) this morning… 6/8 kgs…. Great smoking jobs
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Well done. They look just like Quinaults to me
    stingray and Shearer like this.

Bus driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    Well done. They look just like Quinaults to me
    Mate … u bring up a very good point…. I’m going to make sone enquirers… that never crossed my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    That looks and sounds awesome!
    I got same day, went for try my new gear for softbaiting bluecod but got lots of snags because I was using a 1.55m rod. Then drove further to a bay, and I found lots of mussel big ones, a dead shell was bigger than my shoe. I wear size 9. Anyway did `t come back with empty hands
    stingray likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Name:  20230916_180047.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  1.60 MB
    Name:  20230916_180313.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  2.59 MB
    Name:  20230916_185342.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  2.78 MB
    Nil durum volenti !!

A late yarn of a wonderful Saturday evening,

So rang around everyone cancelled the Friday night flounder due to shite weather, rescheduled for Saturday arvo, loaded net, wetsuits , seats , bbq stuff , ice , beer etc, folks arrived early and on time and we loaded everything and everyone into vehicles.

The kids the wives the mates and the hounds!

Arrived at the estuary, un packed and set to yarning , whilst a clever bugger drove past us out onto the flats and set to fishing the channel .

We gear up loaded up and the tribe ( basicly the United Nations Kiwis , Americans, French , Dutch and a veteran kiwi with 25 years of Aussie accent) all wandered out to the tide , from the innocent youth , the keen teenagers , to the salt and pepper crafty adults , plus the token invalid hobling along behind )

Well we met the opposition at the mud and @ROKTOY being the shortest and easiest to recover from the tide if the said gentleman were to manhandle him into the tide , went into bat for us and inquired if we could share the channel!

Being top blokes they were , we got one side and they too the other. Into the tide we sent our man mountain, he took the deep water and we hauled the drag, shared a beer and
    @Joe Schmo our fish scientist advised on our technique, offered advice on how to improve our catch rate , net size , depth of water ,time of year, people involved in the dragging , colour of our camo wetsuits, moon faze , position of the sun, fresh v salt water concentrations, did you know he’s done this stuff for 20 odd years now

joking Matt! You were a million dollar asset!

Well the first drag got us a handful 2 keepers and a few shorts which was really neat to see the young folk enjoy returning the shorts carefully to the tide! I really think they enjoyed that as much as gutting the keepers.

Many hands made light work of the net we set again and fished the honey hole, the channel has changed and our sweet spot with it , it no longer seems to be holding the fish like in times past.

The ebb tide finished and myself and some young blokes took the net up high onto our spot for the flood, the gang regrouped with us and the flood did nothing , I wandered back to the truck to start the BBQ , the tide sulked and refused to push ,or spill , or anything.

The team hauled the net for a one last flounder! Then donned warm cloths and set to yarning eating and sadly heading for home.

Another great evening with the best of folks getting to know each other!

Priceless

Thanks everyone!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Bus driver
    Name:  IMG_0233.jpeg
Views: 174
Size:  1.54 MBName:  IMG_0240.jpeg
Views: 218
Size:  3.11 MBName:  IMG_1792.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  1.36 MBName:  IMG_0249.jpeg
Views: 193
Size:  7.03 MB

Bus driver
    My boy took six of these ….reckons it’s good I’m on the supporters tour ,he has better luck without me!!!!
    stingray likes this.

Beautiful night last night, no wind, light drizzle and stillness that calms the mind. Only the noise of the lambs on surrounding farms and crashes and splashes as baitfish broke the oily surface.

Couple of humble Kahawai stuffed full of whitebait came home for tonight's dinner of curry with homemade naans.

Nice done. What a nice fish!

One thing I like to ask, to confirm with you guys...is this trout or salmon?
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

I will have a crack at this , photo 3 where A330 is standing up is a salmon. The others are trout, check the tail it is a different shape.

Bus driver
    All salmon

Bus driver
    The differences….. coho/steelhead/chinook….. all types of salmon we are catching right now
    Black Rabbit likes this.