Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree14751Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Tagging kit arrived during the week.

The boys were super keen to give it ago so we nipped out at first light to the 10m mark. Wasn't expecting much on the snapper front but thought we might get a gurnard or a rat king to test it on.

Ended up landing a dozen or more brim so kept a few for a feed and popped a few tags in some.

Really quick and easy to use. Just rolled out the measuring tape on the seat, tagged them and measured them at the same time then back in the briny.

All swam away strongly, be interesting to see where they turn up. Will definitely be doing a few more

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kukuwai; 14-01-2023 at 02:12 PM.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Well the rest of the family had obligations today so I picked up a mate and his son early doors this morning.

Kaiteri was a ghost town in the dark and we had the boat floating as soon as the tide hit the bottom of the ramp.

Out to the spat farm it was. Lures in the water early for a snoop for some kingis.

Seen a few on the sounder but they didn't want to play so we tied off and got busy deploying burly.

Two flashers were dropped by the guests and I cast my bait runner out the back with a pilli.
    It was the first to get hit with a strong run and a nice snapper was landed.

Along with some nice fat gurnard a few small mackeral were caught on the flashers and one was deployed for active duty on the live bait rod.

It didn't actually take long for the live bait to get eaten and that produced the second good snapper of the day.

After that the sun got thru the clouds, the sea flattened off and the bite went with it. We mucked about out there just because it was so nice but nothing was happening until the young lad reckons he's got something.

Up comes this fella.

Turns out he had probably had something on for a while (a kahawai) and the okki and latched onto it. Hard case . Okki released unharmed

That was it for us back into kaiteri, jeepers it sure ain't a ghost town at midday. People and boats everywhere.

Another good morning on the water and my mate and his lad loved it which was cool to see.

One thing that was exceptional today was the viz.....unreal you could see the mussel lines half way to the bottom from standing in the boat. It would be 'off the chain' spearfishing !!

Snapper went 13 & 15 pd & were greatly appreciated

Last edited by kukuwai; 22-01-2023 at 04:37 PM.

Excellent stuff.
    Glad you released the octopus. Neat creatures.
    kukuwai likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Glad you released the octopus. Neat creatures.
    They have always been a favourite of mine

Shearer likes this.

Name:  20230123_190609.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  4.03 MB
    Nil durum volenti !!

Burnt by the tide!

Huge tides forecasted ..so we went hunting a huge low tide expecting it to empty the gutter and trap the flounder…

Well bugger Mother Nature gave us a good spanking, the estuary held water as it was a massive high tide so we waited and waited to see the channel empty…

In the end we plunged in at the honey hole as the rest of the channel was holding water way after low tide ..had a couple of short digs and got on the board with a handful of keepers ..

The estuary never emptied I think the ebb tide met the flood tide and all that high water got held in the channel, so we ended up chasing flats in a mid water tide.

Things went quite well will a number of fish being binned and water temps being a warm comfortable 18 degree. Along with this we had a handful of first timers that got into their work and we had the net cleared and fishing in no time each dig …bloody fantastic.

As the ebb tide finished the new folk got involved next level and took the drag out by themselves , a huge amount bullshit , laughter , and thoughtful exchanges were passed around, the net was beached and to the young folks delight some beauties were found snagged in the net , along with a couple of shorts that were released to see another day …( I think the young folks really enjoyed that part) …the catch was gutted and iced every time keeping the fish in pristine condition

The tide pushed so we set up for the flood , and waited and waited it crept up around us spilling into the flats before pushing up the channel , by the time it pushed the flats were flooding ..so we pulled in the drag to find a upset ray , but a handful of flounder ..a epic way to round out the evening..

Things sorted off home , shared out the catch enough for everyone to enjoy .

Another lesson learnt!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Flounder Monday ..5pm low tide …rising tide so should see a solid flood, everyone welcome…
    Nil durum volenti !!

Hope your nets are flappy fellas

Just spotted this and had a good chuckle....what a fuk up

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/australi...d-of-fuel-tank

veitnamcam, stingray and Shearer like this.

What floundering look like
    Name:  20230206_203143.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  3.72 MB
    Name:  20230206_203148.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  2.52 MB

What floundering looks like when you say to your lady and the lady of the house next door..
    "Hay lets catch some flounder and have feed of snags and bread for tea

Name:  20230206_203401.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  3.04 MB
    Name:  20230206_203208.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  2.66 MB
    Name:  20230206_203148.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  2.52 MB

Its a tough old life ...yarn follows
    Nil durum volenti !!

The tides of change…

Out onto the flats to catch the tide , the crew started with a a good number of souls arriving at the hunting grounds ,but as the as the long weekend took its toll, the bodies got fewer and fewer.

Meet up at the sand bank happy to see @Madjon had the afternoon spare , so we shared a beer and a yarn waiting for other folks to arrive and the ebb tide to bugger off out.

We waited and whilst we did car / vans / utes loads of surfers , arrived over the next hour and geared up and headed for the waves!!

As per the photos I had asked my lady to come for a fish , with the promise of an easy tea and good company!

Well that set the wheels in motion , Lis my lady talked to the good lady next door who organised her niece and family and things went from a gas cooker and a fry pan and a loaf of bread and snags to

deck chairs , cheese ,wine , fold out tables , a bowl of fresh fruit , burger buns , sauces salads and many others things !! A few blokes in wetsuits , with a flounder net and a chilly bin with a few cold beverages and a bag of ice didn’t know , or ever ever think they would need to go fishing !

So with that we made it into the tide , and set to fishing hits straight away and things were looking very promising …then our luck ran thin …snags …normally clear bottoms were plagued with branches and sunken logs, then the wind howled as we 3 tried to clear drag with tangles and just generally shitty conditions we battled through.

Support appeared on the horizon, but they were untrained and and were more keen on yarning and chasing straw hats that blew off their heads and checking out the fish in the bin rather than getting the drag in the tide ..

So with a bit of encouragement we got their hands dirty , and a few more fish in the bin along side a monkfish / stargazer and short flounder that the young ones returned to the tide with glee.

The tided flooded …but the cooks were calling the tucker was ready , so we binned the net with a couple more keepers, headed for dry ground and enjoyed a wonderful spread of delicious food with excellent company …it’s a tough old life this fishing…
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Tagging kit arrived during the week.

The boys were super keen to give it ago so we nipped out at first light to the 10m mark. Wasn't expecting much on the snapper front but thought we might get a gurnard or a rat king to test it on.

Ended up landing a dozen or more brim so kept a few for a feed and popped a few tags in some.

Really quick and easy to use. Just rolled out the measuring tape on the seat, tagged them and measured them at the same time then back in the briny.

All swam away strongly, be interesting to see where they turn up. Will definitely be doing a few more

Nice one!

I have put an old wine bottle cork over my needle so that I dont risk tagging them too deep, have left about 30-40mmm there so I can still get in enough for kingfish

Geez those flounder drink a bit, no wonder they are easy to catch just bait with a can

Looks like a bloody good set up, and I'm pleased to see even flounder dog gets a chair

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    What floundering look like

What floundering looks like when you say to your lady and the lady of the house next door..
    "Hay lets catch some flounder and have feed of snags and bread for tea

Its a tough old life ...yarn follows
    stingray and Micky Duck like this.

that flash harry kitchen setup...need more photos please and details....looks plurry AWESOME.
    stingray likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Wicked set up Stingray
    stingray likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I can talk to Andy the owner …he’s builds these kits as a side line.

I don’t want to tread on anyones toes …but they are certainly a wonderful bit of kit , as Andy said the next one gets that much better !

Will pm folks …

Now back to the fishing
    Dundee and Micky Duck like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!