Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree14739Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

MB
    Same for the north (Whangarei).
    Beaker likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    If you're in auckland, let me know, and might be able to take you out for a snapper fish (maybe kingies, but I'm shit at targeting them....)
    Most hospitable of you Beaker. As to King Fish think rocks but don’t put your boat on them mind.
    Beaker likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Most hospitable of you Beaker. As to King Fish think rocks but don’t put your boat on them mind.
    I thought about what I wrote after I posted, and actually I am good at targeting them - I shot one with a spare gun, off the back of the boat a couple years ago. Didn't even get my feet wet.
    However, will not do it again.

I hear ya about the rocks.......
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Lovely evening, top of the west coast, south island.

A few XOS kahawai out there too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Great few days away with @stingray and the mini me.
    Focus more on the diving/swimming than fishing this time.

The young fella shot his first fish and I pronged a couple too and found some crayfish.
    Fortunately Joe can catch them.
    Name:  IMG_20221215_135606.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  4.91 MB
    Name:  IMG_20221217_122118.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  5.45 MB
    rugerman, stingray, Pengy and 6 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Another year rolled over! VC had his B / day so I joined him to celebrate it!

We all took the long way round to okiwi , with local over the hill road closed for repairs! We all settled in , and set the alarm for get up early o’clock !

Well the Alarm rang …..and we emerged to clag / rain but zero wind!

Being our first day off VC and myself treated our selves to an extra cup of coffee / tea ..then an other just for good measure! Then shook the lump out of his fart sack, chucked some tucker in his hand and then slid the critter into his wetsuit and set sail.

We were on the hunt for 5 week cray! A large local cray VC and mini me had found 5 weeks ago along with a few smaller ones ,

then they had an dive in the same area whilst I was driving down ..only to find 5 week ( now it’s code name) cray was still in residence and had recruited a few extra mates. So I was recruited to move 5 weeks from his cave to a spa. We banged its turf scared the shit out of his mates and simply I tits the capture up!
    To much study not enough smash n grab! VC was a bit more ruthless and harpooned a couple of butters.

So off down the coast to sheltered waters, tanked up dropped in snagged a couple whilst the gang hunted the weed beds. Back in the boat smoko round the corner whilst we did a cod bash …well me and mini VC sorted tea whilst someone else found out the 5 for $20 flasher rigs may have the average suspect knot or two.

Home in the rain , tea and beers and a clean up , fallow cutlets, baked mushrooms with blue cheese , marinated mussels and a slow cooked hogget roast, then cards ,cheating ,laughter ,bullshit and a excellent late night.

Up the next day more rain and so a indoor day filling tanks eating and recovering. Went over to the wharf feed the rays , the locals turned up and were amazing as normal , then an absolute surprise as a ray drifted past the wharf with a gang of yellow eyed mullet hanging about its wings a bloody JD burst out from a wharf pile and tried to inhale a mullet! A first for us at okiwi …was pretty wicked!

A very early night , saw a early start …down to the pass to hunt kings ..sloppy run down got to the pass …good current and great drifts but nothing on the sounder and even less on the hooks, we tried the banks on the reef side of the pass nothing there ether ,So chucked it in at that in as other boats suffered along with us.

Up the coast to a cray rock , VC once again positioned me on the hot spot down and up with two easy crays, unverified to a bit of reef looking for a long lost crack , no luck round and round…feelers , cave , crays …perfect …tits the first keeper , snagged the second , that murked the hole , turned around ohhh yeesss another crack holding a handful , so snaked two …checked my air and pulled the pin…to find VC right on top of me marking the new spot …you beauty…”team work makes the dream work”!

Smoko of pan fried full meat snags , then the day ran away as we chased a feed of cod and the rain set in again , so we headed for home to clean up and haul our arses back round the long way home.

A huge thanks to VC and mini for the laughs and yarns and food and as always keeping tabs on me when I’m on the bottom cheers!

Put the acid of VC he has a few more photos ..
    Nil durum volenti !!

Name:  IMG_20221215_121956.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  2.66 MB
    Name:  IMG_20221214_200625.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  4.08 MB
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Well you can't beat that for a few days away. Far better than mowing the lawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    Always.
    Spend 22 hours traveling to NZ, sleep a bit, buy fishing license, get some poor sucker to take me fishing Monday morning, travel the land warning the good people of NZ that we (me and 3 cute ladies) will be moving there in 2023, cast in to any legal water I deem fit for a fish, visit with folks we see/meet, visit with the NZ hunting/shooting people I've been talking to for almost a year...other than that, no real plans

PS: It's all your fault that we're still planning on moving there...in the past year I've spoken to or emailed or zoom called with 20 people from NZ and they have been the 20 nicest, most positive, most accommodating, open folks I've ever met in my life.
    Remember always to check clean and dry. Didymo ruined S.I. fishing for me. Keep it outta the N.I. for as long as possible.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Monday morning is looking good for us Joe
    So how did ya go … Come on guys I’m hanging out for a yarn !
    Beaker and sore head stoat like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

We went out Tuesday and it was perfect. It wasn’t hard for Gibo to find the lost looking American at the secret meeting place. I was actually busy searching whether a “ute” was a car or a truck when Gibo pulled up in his red Ute at 0430. The man brought a rod for me and we were off in the dark looking at bait in the wee hours, even saw some small Kingis cruising. I really liked the idea of bombing custom plug out there and making a big show of it in the hopes of attracting a giant angry fish to come and kill it. However no lures were killed but we got some casting in!! Saw a stingray, a kahawai and a buncha different kinds of bait. It felt great to be fishing as I hadn’t even fished in america since about September which is insane for me…but the wapiti were calling me this fall.
    The fishing wasn’t important. I enjoyed the company of Gibo and the yarns and the generosity of helping me out by taking me on a cast when I asked about it. The knowledge shared by Gibo was priceless to me and every word helped me attempt to get me head around all of the differences between fish and wildlife and fisheries and wildlife research and management in NZ. I will be learning for a loooong time but hopefully at some point in my life I will help make a positive contribution to NZ fisheries. I can’t thank you enough Gibo…that was absolutely great fun!!!
    Currently in Rotorua and going to take an hour or two mid day to make a cast at a trout if I can find my way to the banks of the Utuhina stream somewhere to give these shit lures I brought from the US a try

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    We went out Tuesday and it was perfect. It wasn’t hard for Gibo to find the lost looking American at the secret meeting place. I was actually busy searching whether a “ute” was a car or a truck when Gibo pulled up in his red Ute at 0430. The man brought a rod for me and we were off in the dark looking at bait in the wee hours, even saw some small Kingis cruising. I really liked the idea of bombing custom plug out there and making a big show of it in the hopes of attracting a giant angry fish to come and kill it. However no lures were killed but we got some casting in!! Saw a stingray, a kahawai and a buncha different kinds of bait. It felt great to be fishing as I hadn’t even fished in america since about September which is insane for me…but the wapiti were calling me this fall.
    The fishing wasn’t important. I enjoyed the company of Gibo and the yarns and the generosity of helping me out by taking me on a cast when I asked about it. The knowledge shared by Gibo was priceless to me and every word helped me attempt to get me head around all of the differences between fish and wildlife and fisheries and wildlife research and management in NZ. I will be learning for a loooong time but hopefully at some point in my life I will help make a positive contribution to NZ fisheries. I can’t thank you enough Gibo…that was absolutely great fun!!!
    Currently in Rotorua and going to take an hour or two mid day to make a cast at a trout if I can find my way to the banks of the Utuhina stream somewhere to give these shit lures I brought from the US a try
    Was a good morning for sure, even without the fish. Was really cool discussing the differences of how NZ vs USA manage fish and game, we definitely suck at it. All the best for the rest of your trip Matt. And thank you for the rum, you didnt have to do that but I appreciate it. Sounds like you have a solid schedule when you get to Nelson Some absolute good buggers down there!
    veitnamcam, Beaker, Danny and 4 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Some absolute good buggers down there!
    As well as Cam and Joe! Ha ha ha ha. Mate what’s with this no fish?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Had a few hours. Went to the mouth of the Utuhina and found a sign that said no parking and a private property sign so I figured that I couldn’t fish there and I really don’t want to piss off the locals. After talking to the boys at Hamills it seems like I could have fished no problem. Went up to the “deadline” as we call it and looked into a bit of the creek/ditch…beautiful and small and thick as hell. Saw a giant carp/koi/goldfish holding there. Took a wander down the stream just looking around. It’s all new to me. Good outing…hopefully the fellas in the south will take all this trout gear that I haven’t used and my wife is tired of packing around
    Also today, on our way to the zorb we saw a couple fellas with 3 stags piled up whole in the back of their Ute and I gave em a honk!! Not sure if that’s a farm thing or not.
    Joke of the day: the lady at the petrol station said I’m to pump first and then pay…I told her that in America we don’t trust people to come back in and pay so we have to pay first

NZ vs USA manage fish and game, we definitely suck at it.
    Grass is always greener on the other side of the pacific…in the US we basically pay $1000 per animal we kill and the premier hunting areas take 30-50 years to get a tag. The differences certainly make my head spin!!
    It was great Josh hopefully we will get another try someday!!
    Gibo and kukuwai like this.