Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree14748Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Might hook a fly fisherman here.I have a Scientific Anglers 6-7L Systems 2L fly reel for sale.Has a 6wtdt line on it.Hasnt been used for ten years.Had some use but not obused as i had 3 of these reels and 3 sage fly rods.So the work load got spread around amongst the gear a bit.
    Reel n line $100+$12 postage.Name:  20220926_114046.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  875.4 KB
    wsm junkie and stingray like this.

Mud, stickfish and cockle shells. That was a good afternoon out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Might hook a fly fisherman here.I have a Scientific Anglers 6-7L Systems 2L fly reel for sale.Has a 6wtdt line on it.Hasnt been used for ten years.Had some use but not obused as i had 3 of these reels and 3 sage fly rods.So the work load got spread around amongst the gear a bit.
    Reel n line $100+$12 postage.Attachment 206747
    @Trout I hate to say it but these arnt as sort after as they once were. I've seen a few listed on the yellow site over the last few months with $30 buy now remain unsold, only one I saw sell came with spare spool, backing and one spool had a line on it.....from memory it made $50.
    They're bloody nice reels, I've got the same model that I purchased way back in 97 for $200. Problem is everyone wants large abours now.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    @Trout I hate to say it but these arnt as sort after as they once were. I've seen a few listed on the yellow site over the last few months with $30 buy now remain unsold, only one I saw sell came with spare spool, backing and one spool had a line on it.....from memory it made $50.
    They're bloody nice reels, I've got the same model that I purchased way back in 97 for $200. Problem is everyone wants large abours now.
    Hi wsm Junkie,i ended up selling the reel with its bit more worn out twin brother.So the buy had a very good reel and a spare spool and 2 fly line.I was happy with my sale and buyer was happy with his purchase.I know what you saying tho,theres a few ton of fishing gear for sale on tm.At least the guys on here know im only selling good gear.Cheers n Beers.
    wsm junkie likes this.

Kor
    Hey Stingray, has all that mud affected the cockles? Can you still get a feed of them out there?

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    A great day with an afternoon tide. Attachment 206736

Attachment 206741
    Attachment 206742
    Once before, I was in a small fishing harbor, local fisherman stewed couple of these wild catch of the day, in a big cast iron pot. Corn breads, green onion with miso and 58 degree of strong alcohol, still miss it. So, I get to bring a 24 inches wide of cast iron pot back
    stingray likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kor View Post
    Hey Stingray, has all that mud affected the cockles? Can you still get a feed of them out there?
    Yeah the young folk scratched out a feed.they certainly have being thinned out by the flood.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Name:  20221008_114812.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  1.80 MB
    Name:  20221008_114823.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  2.64 MB
    Name:  20221008_130553.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  1.71 MB
    veitnamcam and Black Rabbit like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

@stingray, Are you guys being successful?
    Looks like great weather to be out.
    Enjoy it guys.

Kaikoura turned on a treat, arrived Friday afternoon to a large rolling swell and milky vis!

Caught up with all the folks had a beer.

Up at gentleman hours, loaded the boats to catch the low tide for hunting some fish out wide. Got to the public ramp at an hour before low, a sign says caution slippery ramp at low tide…it bloody well was you could hardly stand to unhook the boat and then trying to get the truck back up the ramp was another story.
    Certainly a trap for the in experienced.

Anyway steamed out dropped pots on a couple of rocks and headed out wide, hit the mark and the sounder started to show the bottom again stooged about checking the drift. Dropped the gear sat in the slop , lifted the gear a small perch and a red cod the were inhaled whole by the resident bird life.

Up past the mark more weight added as we were drifting off the marks before we reached the bottom, it was a wonderful sunny day with a puff of breeze that added to the easy but large swell made conditions trying. After 5 drifts and conditions starting to take a toll on the crew we headed in closer. Tried here and there but the fish seemed off the bite.

Got to have a dive, splashed a great spot, managed a handful of keepers in limited vis saw a few XXL moki which was really neat. Home for a shower.

Up again on Sunday but to avoid the slippery ramp we hit the water early with much improved conditions we enjoyed a lazy hour checking pots! Back into the water for me better vis saw a enjoy a bit more of a hunt, found one better size cray but still had to be pretty selective. The girls were mostly empty with only 3 still holding eggs handled over the weekend.

With sun and wind and swell on Saturday we just had a quick look around and back in. A great trip away and a relaxed drive home for Lisa and myself!

Bring on the summer and blue water!
    veitnamcam, Pengy, deer243 and 5 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    @stingray, Are you guys being successful?
    Looks like great weather to be out.
    Enjoy it guys.
    Crays yes, VC managed 8 in one pot, heckled me …”don’t need a diver in this boat” ….then put 7 smalls back!

Fishing has being slow but with conditions improving hopefully tomorrow they will get a day to hunt the fish properly!
    Nil durum volenti !!

I like the second picture, snow capped mountain on the horizon. Any groupers?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    I like the second picture, snow capped mountain on the horizon. Any groupers?
    Unfortunately no swell and wind had us drifting off the marks to fast..tomorrow maybe the day ..I’m home so fingers crossed for the team !
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Unfortunately no swell and wind had us drifting off the marks to fast..tomorrow maybe the day ..I’m home so fingers crossed for the team !
    Ok...Kaikoura, I have been there many times, never got a nice weather to encourage me on a boat, sea scik. Grouper, is the fish I want to catch and cook it by myself to see how good it is. Yeah, fingers crossed for your team...Good night
    stingray and Pengy like this.

Kaikoura team is battling, the fishing and the occy's
    VC let me know they are getting a few keepers and a few eaten clean skeletons.

The import walked out of work today ...hay see you Monday ..let me know if any fishing is happening...Tides look good ..
    Checked the tides and rang / texted a handful of folks ...photos tell the rest ...a epic afternoon with now seasoned fisherman...
    Name:  20221011_182113.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  4.62 MB
    Name:  20221011_184202.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  3.92 MB
    Name:  20221011_184235.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  3.76 MB
    Name:  20221011_184424.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  3.75 MB