Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree14600Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Kukuwai , are those big snapper good to eat? Not too tough? How do you cook them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Dicko
    Yep good to eat, no not too tough, just fillet like normal cook in flour and egg.
    I also smoked the wings, frame and belly flaps, got heaps of meat off those which will make fish pie
    Even kept the head as have a mate who loves to boil them up !!
    Munsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    The view in the front of my 1410 thismorning was looking primo.
    Only one fish but the average weight was good
    26.5 Lb
    Attachment 77995
    Did you catch it on a rod or the long line?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

@Shearer long line mate in 10m of h2o
    I wish It had been on the rod, I got one this time last year on my rod that went 28lb and they put up one hell of a fight when that size.
    Even tho today as soon as I got a hand on the long line back bone I could feel the big head shakes its not quite the same.
    Still pretty bloody exciting tho !!
    veitnamcam and Shearer like this.

@Shearer long line mate in 10m of h2o
    I wish It had been on the rod, I got one this time last year on my rod that went 28lb and they put up one hell of a fight when that size.
    Even tho today as soon as I got a hand on the long line back bone I could feel the big head shakes its not quite the same.
    Still pretty bloody exciting tho !!
    Last Monday my cousin got a 31-33pounder(two lots of scales one said 31 the other 33) in 7m in front of Rabbit.....the only fish he caught...just a lone moocher.
    he caught it on a small bit of kahawai fillet....three rods and burly pot out he did well to land it by himself I recon
    He has had a cast taken to get a mount made
    Wildman, stingray, Pengy and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

@Dicko
    Yep good to eat, no not too tough, just fillet like normal cook in flour and egg.
    I also smoked the wings, frame and belly flaps, got heaps of meat off those which will make fish pie
    Even kept the head as have a mate who loves to boil them up !!
    Smoke the head too, give it twice as long as the wings.....I have only recently started to do this and honestly it is the best meat of the whole fish but only worth fing around with on 10pounders plus imo.
    kukuwai likes this.

Big thanks for the company and the fishing at that little piece of paradise known as Okiwi bay. VC, you and the lad are amazingly keen, to say the least.
    Name:  22815048_10155664673078260_1080279064505241930_n.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  90.9 KB
    Some of the fruits of Stingrays efforts
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Boys weekend. 4 blokes. Bach north of wangerai (spelling , these north islanders make it........difficult). Beach on the front door - the pic is from when I opened the front door with a coffee in hand, of 2 of the guys that wanted the early spot. Name:  IMAG3250.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  2.53 MB

This was really convenient, and produced, but the main area was around to the right of the rocks on the right (South).
    No pics of that, as I went on stealth for the 3 days of fishing (I left the phone / camera in the room - tech free day's! - strange, but bloody good.) But fuck, the cliff to climb down / up, epic. And my thighs are reminding me of it......
    The fishing was average. The others had been before and had a high fish count. However a great weekend away with some gc's, and a good few feeds for all of us.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Kukuwai, thanks for the feedback. I caught a decent one ~ 20 lb, and found it tough. I think i should have skinned the fillets or steamed it in foil. . Do you knock the skin off the fillets before frying them up to stop them rolling up ....

Bugger all to add, weather was fantastic , fishing Saturday was good ...sight fishing cod in 10 foot of water was a laugh grown men yelling at the small cod to bugger off and yanking there lines away waiting for the big boys to come out of the weed. Got wet along with my nephews which was really neat ( reckon at least one is on the hunt for a wetsuit now) ..managed to grab a cray and one more that was still soft.

Sunday was even better weather wise but the short bloke and I found the fishing sharkie ( spikies , gumboots / chinamen aka carpet sharks by a the dozens and a small grey boy) oh and the one gurnard that didn't make it to VC's line. Cod we're picking rather that gulping baits. Kawahi were about but were spooky as hell the sounded as soon as you approached them, the cod were full of plankton, guts bulging spewing it all over you when lifted aboard.

Water is warm and full of plankton along with baitfish and penguins. Fantastic weekend with some bloody wonderful company! Cheers guys.
    You have seen the rest so here's one of Faye pointing us the way home.
    Name:  IMG_1221.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  56.8 KB
    veitnamcam, Dundee, mikee and 4 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

30 degrees here already, gentle north Easter blowing, off to try catch my first Barramundi.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    Dundee, stingray, Pengy and 2 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    didn't fish tide and forecast against me. Drank a bit if that counts
    veitnamcam, R93, stingray and 1 others like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Been real quiet at work , so most of our contractors are working down south , Im under the pump up in Ch Ch , Got an invite to go out wide with a mate . Reluctantly had to turn it down , & of course the kicked arse best days fishing ever they said FFS Gutted
    stingray likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Been real quiet at work , so most of our contractors are working down south , Im under the pump up in Ch Ch , Got an invite to go out wide with a mate . Reluctantly had to turn it down , & of course the kicked arse best days fishing ever they said FFS Gutted
    Always the way is it not?

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.

Weather gods played the game so got out for the first swim since feb
    Name:  IMG_1014.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  3.45 MB

Got a good feed for the weekend