Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By m101a1
  • 2 Post By Hunter595
  • 2 Post By quentin
  • 2 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Mac Boats

Mac Boats

Anyone here own a Mac boat or know much about them? I am thinking of upgrading my Haines Hunter v163 for something a bit easier to manage on my own and even perhaps beach launch

You will find the mac heavy and the hulls flex and are very wet , stick with the haines and repower with a 90 4str and set your trailer up for beach launching .But I own a haines and live in the land of haines hunter [titahi bay] most of us run dodgers on the 70s hulls hence the name dodger city . Just make sure the transom is ok , the 163s go like a raped ape with a 140 on the back . If want pontoon go alloy , much lighter and easy to weld bits on .
    Got-ya likes this.

Family friends had a 570 for quite a few years and spent a bit of time in it fishing mainly out of Moeraki, I always thought it was a nice ride compared to any of the alloy pontoons I've been in (mainly Stabis) maybe that flex was partly a benefit? It did move a bit of water in the front coming into a wave so could be a bit wet, they are nice and quiet at rest compared to alloy boats, quite low freeboard and a big following sea feels a little insecure but lots of alloy boats similar design. Good units the Haines, unbeatable ride, but if I was going to do a lot of drift fishing or fishing on anchor I'd definitely look at a more stable hull I've only ever been seasick a couple of times and both times in a bloody Haines! Lol
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I had a small Mac and it weighed a ton but was stable alright.

@Hunter595 How large are you looking? My Brother used to swear by the Macs and still has one he will never part with, and I have a 3.6 which is really a dinghy. Both are great boats. Very quiet as mentioned above and I believe the latter ones have a better hull shape than the earlier ones. If you are after smaller sizes, the smart waves fit into the same category and are also very stable. My brother got these as tenders / dinghy's for when he did not want to launch the 4.7. I grew up woth Ali boats 9 fyrans mostly) and a couple of ply ones that dad owned, but the plastic is the only way I would go next time. It is the right size for my use, and I like the quiet. It suits me.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

MB
    Mate has a Mac 420 which I dive off occasionally. It's stable, but wet. Beamy, certainly has a lot of space for the size of boat. Trying to say something useful about how it rides, but does any boat of that length ride well? Guess it's all relative. Haven't been in that many small boats to compare.

I,d repeatwith the comments above about weight.They are heavy so you need more ponys to get them to plane,and they sit very low in the water off the plane.For stability the 3.6m model I,ve got experience with had a floodable ballast transome,but should you really need that feature if it was designed correctly?

Thanks for the feedback, my Haines has a near new 90 hp merc 2 stroke, done less than 10 hours, it’s a good boat but just musing about something different.
    I was thinking either a 3.6 or a 4.2, but maybe I will stick with what I have
    stingray and m101a1 like this.

They used to use the 570 Macs in Rarotonga as dive boats. All of them got retired due to splits in the hulls I believe. All that flexing had to come with a downside.
    This might not be an issue in a boat that only gets used a few times a year, but when they were used multiple times a day, every day, the flaws really showed themselves.
    I've used them a few times, and they are definitely wet, require a lot of HP for the hull length, and ride poorly compared to a well designed fiberglass or alloy hull.
    Cannot comment on the smaller models, as I've not used them.
    We exclusively beach launch, and you'd be surprised the size of some boats people launch single handedly with the club tractor.
    m101a1 and bluebaiter222 like this.

I thought they were pretty tough but rough handleing my 270 off the back of my truck cracked mine which was repaired but took a few goes

very heavy for their size so they need a lot more power

they will keep floating if you dont tie them to something
    mine ended up out to sea after the tide took it out of the harbour and across the bay
    luckly small town so it found its way back

The smartwaves are a better design than mac imo. Or just go ali. Any number of awesome ali options in that size range

Go 4.2, the 3.5 are pretty small.
    timattalon and paremata like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    The smartwaves are a better design than mac imo. Or just go ali. Any number of awesome ali options in that size range

Go 4.2, the 3.5 are pretty small.
    My neighbour has the 4.2 , they are a much better boat than the mac 420 a mate owned
    Pack out heavy

I suggest you Google Geoff Preston of Mokau fame. He is a keen MAC man. Met him at the beach after a fish. Man he can catch huge snapper. Bloody interesting to talk to albeit briefly because he was off to Hamilton to weigh in the fish in a big comp which incidentally he won by a country mile.