Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Lost for a month

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by hilz77 View Post
    You are joking about trucks aren't you? Have you any idea how much more it actually is to run one of them. Pull out in front of people. Righto, at 22 metres long sometimes you have to make the gap, never in a dangerous manner but sometimes you have to otherwise your sitting there all day. Drive slower than the speed limit. No shit, when you're loaded at 50t you would want to be pretty cautious.
    Its riding 2 wide, sometimes even 3 wide that gets me. What the actual fuck. Do you ever see two cars driving side by side having a good old chin wag. Get out of the way.
    Good on ya hilz. Truckies drive slower because the law says they have to (90 KPH limit). Those speed signs you see on knarley corners are also for truckies (and not private motor cars) because if truckies exceed the recommendation they will come to grief. Cyclists have as much right to be on the road as the rest of us but by and large it is cyclists inconsiderate use of the road that pisses other users off more than any other type of road user.
    veitnamcam, tetawa, oraki and 1 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Good on ya hilz. Truckies drive slower because the law says they have to (90 KPH limit). Those speed signs you see on knarley corners are also for truckies (and not private motor cars) because if truckies exceed the recommendation they will come to grief. Cyclists have as much right to be on the road as the rest of us but by and large it is cyclists inconsiderate use of the road that pisses other users off more than any other type of road user.
    I do concur however that this has gotten massively off topic haha
    veitnamcam likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by hilz77 View Post
    I do concur however that this has gotten massively off topic haha
    Hell newbie, that is the shit we do on this forum.
    Pointer and Beaker like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Lost person to cyclists to truck road taxes... Not sure how to follow that logic lol

are jacks crowd the same mob that regard it as their right to terrorise the walking populace of CHCH by tearing down FOOTPATHS,no need for helmets bro.all this after god knows how much ratepayer monies were wasted on cycle lanes in fact overall id say cyclists in this countrey get a bloody sight better deal than your average motorist.
    my advice -you wanna tootle along on your latest fancy MTB or tour defrance replica -its your right ,but be bloody aware your profile is small compared to other road users so make yaself visible and ride defensively.used to be the same on motorbikes for me -i rode dressed up& 'lit up like a dildo in a convent -at least cars&truckies could see me ,as i was told on more than one occasion. incidentally saw a wanna be tourde france peleton hurtle past two young lassies ridng horses on a country road verge the other day.pity if on e of those horse had spooked no attempt to slow down-too busy yahooing ???????

back to original thread .
    I read somewhere that DOC had in fact instructed these two that the route was closed and they were not to attempt it .
    seems they ignored that instruction
    .if so ,well sorry ,but youre the bloody author of your own misfortune ,.the matter is further complicated by her claims both are experienced mountaineers
    '-HMMMM-other experienced mountaineers/trampers i know all say they wouldnt hesitate to follow DOCs instructions.
    mother nature is a cruel bitch to the foolhardy

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    back to original thread .
    I read somewhere that DOC had in fact instructed these two that the route was closed and they were not to attempt it .
    seems they ignored that instruction
    .if so ,well sorry ,but youre the bloody author of your own misfortune ,.the matter is further complicated by her claims both are experienced mountaineers
    '-HMMMM-other experienced mountaineers/trampers i know all say they wouldnt hesitate to follow DOCs instructions.
    mother nature is a cruel bitch to the foolhardy
    I hadn't read anywhere that they were experienced mountaineers, where was that from?

To be honest most DOC office/visitor centre staff don't have a clue about anything that isn't in a pamphlet and I (along with many other experienced trampers/mountaineers) ignore them quite often, much better to check weather & avalanche forecasts etc and make your own decision. I've been through plenty of DOC tracks that were 'closed' by someone sitting in an office when there was no issue at all on the ground, and I've turned back due to obvious avalanche hazard when they hadn't mentioned it.

If you can get information from a ranger who actually frequents the area you're planning to go then its useful - otherwise you often may as well save some time and ask the bloke at the local petrol station.
    Pengy and zimmer like this.

Ejected
    are jacks crowd the same mob that regard it as their right to terrorise the walking populace of CHCH by tearing down FOOTPATHS
    Nope, super dangerous.

my advice -you wanna tootle along on your latest fancy MTB or tour defrance replica -its your right ,but be bloody aware your profile is small compared to other road users so make yaself visible and ride defensively
    Yeah, a lot of it is that drivers only look where cars are. So if you ride where a car is you're more likely to be seen, despite the small profile.

I ride a bike, mostly as a commuter. I wear Hi Vis and not lycra and there are some situations where cyclists have to ride wide for safety. I use the cycle lanes and let cars past as I would rather them in front of me. Yes there are a few dicks on bikes that can be proper cnuts as there are drivers that are the same cnuts that run red lights, dont give way and hit stationary objects that clearly did not jump out in front of them. Same as there are some knuckle headed posters on here that simply dont know how to drive.

Bear in mind those that say "cyclists dont own the road", every cyclist I know owns a car, I own three and a motorbike as well. I pay my fair share, or more if you consider I can only use one at a time.

Cycling can be practical, as I save gas money, get some exercise, and save on parking at work. Just think next time you pass a cyclist in town that if they were in the car instead of the bike, they would get to "your" car park spot before you will.....

I live 6km from work and it takes me the same amount of time to get there in the car as it does the bike.

Finally, a message for those who dont like slowing down a bit, the speed limit is just that, a limit. The rules are you can drive at speeds up to that limit ONLY if it is safe to do so. It does not mean that it is safe to do so because it is signposted 100.

If you get angry at Cyclists, old people, trucks, delays, roadworks when driving, or anything else, then you should probably think about why you get angry while driving. Driving angry can be as dangerous as driving drunk. It affects your judgement and your reactions, it clouds you mind. Calm down, you will live longer....

Drive safely, everyone deserves to get home safe and unharmed.
    gadgetman and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    The only good cyclist, is a flat one!
    I've heard that comment before but it was "the only good motorcyclist is a flat one", and "Organ donor on wheels" was another. Hardly original and not really any truth to it at all. I ride both as well as a 4wd and a sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post

Finally, a message for those who dont like slowing down a bit, the speed limit is just that, a limit. The rules are you can drive at speeds up to that limit ONLY if it is safe to do so. It does not mean that it is safe to do so because it is signposted 100.

I hope your not one of those " drive at 80 on the open road people"
    Cyclists I have time for roadhogs have a special hell
    Gapped axe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    I hope your not one of those " drive at 80 on the open road people"
    Cyclists I have time for roadhogs have a special hell
    Most of the time I sit as close to 100 as I can without getting a ticket. But if anyone catches up on me I will let them by regardless of what speed they are doing as soon as I can, even if it means I pull over and stop. If other people want to go fast then that does not bother me and I do not want them behind me. One of my vehicles struggles to sit at anything faster than 100 and I do not want to hold others up. (my other two struggle to stay below 100 which is a whole other challenge...)

Finally, I am happy travelling at whatever speed the vehicle in front of me is travelling (usually) and if someone wants to pass, then I will let they by me so they can try. In fact on the motorbike, I am happy following trucks even though they are slow as the occasional idiot racing through the hills and crossing the centre line can deal with his crash bars rather than me anytime.....its saved my ass more than once. I just make sure I sit far enough back that I dont piss off the trucky.

I was taught a philosophy around riding motorbikes that I use on all vehicles. Ride as though everyone is out to kill you because a few of them are and you dont know which ones.

+1 timattalon: very astute comments.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Most of the time I sit as close to 100 as I can without getting a ticket. But if anyone catches up on me I will let them by regardless of what speed they are doing as soon as I can, even if it means I pull over and stop. If other people want to go fast then that does not bother me and I do not want them behind me. One of my vehicles struggles to sit at anything faster than 100 and I do not want to hold others up. (my other two struggle to stay below 100 which is a whole other challenge...)

Finally, I am happy travelling at whatever speed the vehicle in front of me is travelling (usually) and if someone wants to pass, then I will let they by me so they can try. In fact on the motorbike, I am happy following trucks even though they are slow as the occasional idiot racing through the hills and crossing the centre line can deal with his crash bars rather than me anytime.....its saved my ass more than once. I just make sure I sit far enough back that I dont piss off the trucky.

I was taught a philosophy around riding motorbikes that I use on all vehicles. Ride as though everyone is out to kill you because a few of them are and you dont know which ones.
    That is exactly how I drive too.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The inherent blind spots inside cars are what cause drivers not to see bikers and cyclists. I've nearly hit riders in my car and I am also a biker (so I am on the lookout).