Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 300 blackout

300 blackout -just my ten cents worth on that caliber - we tried it or should I say some of our DOC goat cullers tried it - was touted as a great caliber when working with the indicator dogs on goats - the fad and I will call it that lasted an extremely short time ( for most cullers who tried it less than a year) - lack of range and lack of killing power meant it was relegated to rubbish bin very quickly - some very disappointed hunters who had spent money on building up rifles to shoot it ( including one who had converted a sako ) Some tried suppressed 44Mag same result but more about lack of range - deer/goats would pop out on opposite slip 250 yds out - both 300 BLKOUT and 44 mag useless especially considering a suppressed .223 would likely have done the job - 300 blackout to be approached carefully considering its limitations -
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Yes and no. To use modern woke terminology, my 300BLK "journey" started when I went rabbit shooting with a forum member many years ago. He turned up with an AR15 in 300BLK. I thought, yeah whatever, but he explained that he used subs on rabbits and supers on goats to good effect. I wasn't the slightest interested in the AR platform, but the cartridge intrigued me, seeming to be versatile. Roll on a few years, Hornady released the Sub-X round supposedly designed to expand at subsonic speeds which was of interest because I don't reload. Around the same time, I had a landmark birthday, so bought my novelty gun, a Bergara BA13 in 300BLK with a 16.5 inch barrel. Loved the format of the rifle, but found the Sub-X rounds extremely lacking at killing animals when taking classic chest shots, even at short range. Switched to supersonics (Hornady FTX) and it's been great. Despite things not turning out as intended, I have a very short, capable, relatively quiet bush rifle with low recoil. For reference, energy levels are around the same as .223, but obviously the ballistics are very different. Muzzle energy is 1303 ft.lb. It does fall off very quickly, but that's not an issue for close range bush hunting. I've yet to have a goat not fall down with the FTX rounds. Others use suppressed, subsonic rounds to good effect when taking CNS shots under more controlled circumstances. I wouldn't write it off.
    Yeah I hear ya. I have a few novelty guns and the only excuse I need is I want it. If I didn't have a selection of Rossi levers from 357mag to 454 Casull to choose from, not to mention a short barrel 303 "bush" rifle that shoots heavy cast at 1600fps just fine I would be more tempted I guess. I suppress my hi velocity rifles but for the shooting i do I don't have a need to go subsonic other than for rabbits with .22lr. 1400 to 1800fps is pretty quiet to me in bush. If I want to carry one rifle and cover the bases I have slow cast loads in 308 and 7x57mm with reticule references to suit when zeroed for hi vel. If didn't already have all that in whats already in the safe then a Blackout might be tempting.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

subx has 465 foot pounds at the muzzle

223 has 1252 foot pounds

7RM has 3109 foot pounds

308 has 2955 foot pounds

12ga with a solid has 2533 foot pounds

the mouse fart 222 has over a thousand foot pounds

so you need to make up for this deficiency by stalking closer and shooting at the important parts inside the animal you wish to stop
    or use the supersonic 135gr and take a step up to 1350 foot pounds
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

300 Blackout is still developing along as people figure out ways to maximize it, better bullets, powders, more development and testing etc. Having reloaded 300 BO for almost 10 years, the level of knowledge and the products available specifically for it is way different now than then.

I do 300 Blackout reloading and stuff on my YT channel, same user name. I will be doing much more to come on the channel with 300 BO, with ARs and a bolt action, and suppressors and other stuff. Will experimenting for years to come with it. This year with Hornady 110 VMax and Winchester 296 powder got up to around 2500 FPS with it.

The advantages for 300 BO is 30 cal bullets in a 223 sized package. Yes, it's a short range cartridge, not meant for hundreds of yards out. However people do shoot it at longer distances for fun though.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/member/1296599 this guy on the yellow site had Maker Bullets 30cal (300 BLK) 200gr Sub for sale, Americans seam to like them. I've been using 125g SST reloads without any complaints. Playing with Sub X reloads and targets. Good groups at 50 meters but just want a little more velocity, as to close to manafacutrues min velocity, wondering if I'm doing the right thing as don't always have time/opportunity for head/neck shots. Also working up 125g Sierra TMK that apparently is designed for 300BO. I like the caliber, don't mind its limitations and have a nice light/little hunting rig.
    tikka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    .................................................. ..
    The advantages for 300 BO is 30 cal bullets in a 223 sized package. Yes, it's a short range cartridge, not meant for hundreds of yards out. However people do shoot it at longer distances for fun though.
    It was designed for a purpose.................to fit an AR magazine and be super sonic or subsonic for use on special interest targets which are apparently not too difficult to kill unlike deer etc.

There are better 30cals based on the 223 case, 30Apache, 300Hamr., 30-204 etc but they are all wildcats so then why not just a 308 as you can get ammo virtually everywhere and it has a better supersonic performance which is what almost everyone actually uses in the field despite their best intentions.
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwalker View Post
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/member/1296599 this guy on the yellow site had Maker Bullets 30cal (300 BLK) 200gr Sub for sale, Americans seam to like them. I've been using 125g SST reloads without any complaints. Playing with Sub X reloads and targets. Good groups at 50 meters but just want a little more velocity, as to close to manafacutrues min velocity, wondering if I'm doing the right thing as don't always have time/opportunity for head/neck shots. Also working up 125g Sierra TMK that apparently is designed for 300BO. I like the caliber, don't mind its limitations and have a nice light/little hunting rig.
    The 125gr TMK works good on deer along with 125gr SST and Nosler 125gr BT, they seem to be the right constconstruction for the 300 blackout speeds at 150m and under distance.
    Bill999 likes this.

if going to use supers /factory ammunition and reload your subs...you just about the same or indeed better off to use a 7.62x39mm and yes you can use .308 projecties in them to good effect..said it many times before,the x39mm is a 150yard rifle/cartridge so you dont require 1/4" accuracy...a 2-3" group /pattern will do chest shoulder shots with ease out to that range...but like others have said,the novelty wears off when deer are at 200-250yards.
    AMac, Bill999, erniec and 1 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if going to use supers /factory ammunition and reload your subs...you just about the same or indeed better off to use a 7.62x39mm and yes you can use .308 projecties in them to good effect..said it many times before,the x39mm is a 150yard rifle/cartridge so you dont require 1/4" accuracy...a 2-3" group /pattern will do chest shoulder shots with ease out to that range...but like others have said,the novelty wears off when deer are at 200-250yards.
    Thanks ! validation of the conclusion I came to when I grabbed a Howa Mini in x39, chopped to 16" added a DPT and a red dot - light weight quiet and ideal for goats and maybe deer in the Marlborough sounds bush I reckon - ammo darn cheap too.
    Bill999 and Micky Duck like this.

30tc/ 308/ 30-06 /300wm too
    theres nothing special about a 300blk to make it push a 30cal pill 1000fps

if you are able to handload any of your 30cal rifle will do exactly the same as a 300blk
    and with trail boss it is so simple
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    30tc/ 308/ 30-06 /300wm too
    theres nothing special about a 300blk to make it push a 30cal pill 1000fps

if you are able to handload any of your 30cal rifle will do exactly the same as a 300blk
    and with trail boss it is so simple

The hard part is finding Trail Boss,
    I have just had a .300 BLK built mainly as a cast bullet test rifle and a small game rifle I don't own an accurate .22RF
    and I don't want to waste Trail Boss, 3.5 to 6.0 grains of any fast Shotgun or pistol powder will do for sub loads
    the expense is in the primer.
    tikka, Friwi, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

6.5TCU necked up to .30cal (similar to 30Apache maybe) vs 300Black
    Name:  20220919_181826.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  54.6 KB
    Bill999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    The hard part is finding Trail Boss,
    I have just had a .300 BLK built mainly as a cast bullet test rifle and a small game rifle I don't own an accurate .22RF
    and I don't want to waste Trail Boss, 3.5 to 6.0 grains of any fast Shotgun or pistol powder will do for sub loads
    the expense is in the primer.
    I know where a big pottle is of it just around the road from you...99% sure the owner would part with it ...or most of it to you....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I know where a big pottle is of it just around the road from you...99% sure the owner would part with it ...or most of it to you....
    Thanks for the heads up but I don't use it that much anymore, I have a enough powder to last quite a long time,
    I will run out of primers before powde.r
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    It was designed for a purpose.................to fit an AR magazine and be super sonic or subsonic for use on special interest targets which are apparently not too difficult to kill unlike deer etc.

There are better 30cals based on the 223 case, 30Apache, 300Hamr., 30-204 etc but they are all wildcats so then why not just a 308 as you can get ammo virtually everywhere and it has a better supersonic performance which is what almost everyone actually uses in the field despite their best intentions.
    On my property I can't typically see much more than 100 yards due to all the trees, so for practical size and weight constraints, the 300 BO AR is more handy and convenient than my 308 rifles and more pleasant to shoot. True, nothing wrong with a 308, just depends on the situation.