Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: .338 Lapua Magnum questions

Re: .338 Lapua Magnum questions

The Desert Tactical Arms bullpup looks interesting. The SRS small chassis is multi caliber so switching from say a 260 rem to 338 LM is a 2 minute job. One scope and one trigger. Not everyone's cup of tea, but an interesting idea.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

.338 Lapua Magnum questions

DTA want you to buy through the Au agent at about double US price. Told them they were dreaming if anyone would buy one from them. Year later approached them again, same answer. Asked how many they had sold in Au -3 was the reply haha
    At US prices I would have brought 3 myself as had another guy basically presold.
    Will just buy one from US off shelf when I'm ready I think

I am looking into a 338 Edge the brass is about 1/2 the price of the Lapua magnum
    All you need to do is put the 300 RUM brass threw a 338 Edge sizing die and there you have your brass

Or keep it 300 RUM and run the 230gr hybrid and you will be able to shoot targets in most places as well, a few ban the 338's
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

If weighing up the cost difference in brass is a focal point, then the big cals arnt for you.
    Powder and pills are 2-3x as much as 308 runs

I'll take the good, available factory rifles in .338lm and no custom bullshit, brass forming etc thanks

DTA are really nice (I know a guy who must be one of the 3 in Au) but incredibly overpriced from Cleaver. Horrible store.

Yeah I was meaning if I had a .300 Win Mag I would use it on occasion in F class, .338 would not be welcomed by many at the NRA so I would only use it for shooting steel and long range hunting. I shoot large amounts of .308 in varying wind conditions so I am not a complete muppet but I do know the limitations of it.

I must agree, fire forming brass for custom chamberings does not really interest me. I can't really see any great advantage of the Edge over the LM but I haven't looked to hard.

I like the idea of buying one off the shelf, but would rather buy someones custom built Might just wait till a good deal comes up.

Any other caliber recommendations? I'm still thinking .338 LM may be a bit big for me.

AB Precision

7rem mag, 7saum i know one thats coming up for sale soon also? with few go fast bits on it forum member also.....not me

Savage 1 , I have recently purchased a new savage 110 fcp in 338 lapua. It was good value at $2250 ,plus it has some awesome reviews .Cheers

Got it new mate, through Phil at NZ Precision . It took a while to arrive but for the price nothing comes close.

Caretaker

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    7rem mag, 7saum i know one thats coming up for sale soon also? with few go fast bits on it forum member also.....not me
    Enjoying a 16 inch barreled 7mmsaum a lot these days, 3000fps with a 140 grainer and no problem busting targets out to 1000yrds with it. My 20 inch 7mm08 pushes the 140s at 2900 so the saum is an improvement there.

Petree had no problem with first round hits on rocks at 480yrds, his first ever shots with this rifle.

On a bit of a wander we found a flax snail, its live owner inside, I have found plenty of shells in the past but never with a live inhabitant.

At a heavier end of the scale I spent the weekend carrying my lightest 338Edge around and enjoyed the use of high BC projectiles making harvesting easier. The new Gen 2 Hybrid 300 grain Berger @ 2950fps works great on our thin skinned game and certainly irons out a few unforseen variables often encountered in hilly terrain.

But you DO need a decent Muzzle brake, thanks for that KiwiGreg, it works fantastic

Grim, Spanners, Philipo and 8 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River

Nice!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

2950 is fair stonking! Awesome!

What barrel length you using for 2950? And is that a factory sendero stock? Does it handle the extra weight (if any) ok?

Chris

Caretaker

It was meant to be a 30 inch tube but I have not measured it to be honest, could be longer.

Its a standard SF2 stock, bedded with Brownells "Steel Bed". Its over 90% stainless powder and is incredibly strong, a dial indicator gauge shows no inaccuracies in the bedding, and so nice to shoot.

If I was only allowed ten rifles then this combo would have be one of them

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post

If I was only allowed ten rifles then this combo would have be one of them
    Just one of the ten ???