Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: .338 Lapua Magnum questions

Re: .338 Lapua Magnum questions

Come on Andrew, 2950fps with a 300gn out of a 30" barreled Edge is over the top. Keep it sensible for the benefit of those who don't know better and may get themselves into trouble trying to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Duley View Post
    Come on Andrew, 2950fps with a 300gn out of a 30" barreled Edge is over the top. Keep it sensible for the benefit of those who don't know better and may get themselves into trouble trying to achieve that.
    Shawn Carlocks conservative Data

Bullet: Sierra 300 gr. SMK
    Case: Remington
    Primer: Federal 215 Match
    Powder: US869
    Charge: 104.0
    OAL: 3.785”
    Velocity:2918
    ES: 36 fps

As seen here 338 Edge Load Information

A local 30" Edge achieves similar safe velocities

Yes KG, you can get close with 869 but this is not a recommended powder for the 338 Edge as its too slow. It gives too large ES's as Shawn says. With the best powders recommended for the 338 Edge like H1000/2217, you cannot safely get 2950fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Duley View Post
    Yes KG, you can get close with 869 but this is not a recommended powder for the 338 Edge as its too slow. It gives too large ES's as Shawn says. With the best powders recommended for the 338 Edge like H1000/2217, you cannot safely get 2950fps.
    The local Edge was using 2217 inside the usual weights around 2930 fps from memory over the 35P

It has recently been sold, it was another members not mine, used my reamer though.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

.338 Lapua Magnum questions

Over the top how Duley? Based on your 'pressure gear' or the fact you can't get those speeds and many others can?

YEAP ,

The DTA SRS is interesting , when it was 3k USD for a complete rifle , and they would sell straight to you in NZ , as I had a dealers price list from them when they where 1st released .
    BUT when I looked at getting one a few yrs back , got told , NO go see our Aussie rep , wasn't that interested in buying from Cleavers , as the price was thru the roof , I did however have a play with one in the shop in Brisbane .

I am of the opinion they are at a simialr price to an AI rifle IF you buy from the Aussie's , and at that price point I put my money with AI , as nice & different as they are , AIs I feel are better .

IF any ones going to buy one in the US , I would advise they make sure they get the Gen II version , as thats the current upgraded model , and uses different barrel extensions etc , and it usually has a ball bolt knob instead of the Gen I s tear drop one .

Later Chris

Greg Duley knows his stuff backwards and his point is very valid .Some inexperience person reading this could just blow the crap outta their action and face .
    tui_man2 likes this.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

.338 Lapua Magnum questions

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Greg Duley knows his stuff backwards and his point is very valid .Some inexperience person reading this could just blow the crap outta their action and face .
    Few weeks ago he was telling people to keep adding powder til they got to the velocity from the book...

Salt.....

Pinch.....

Load for that in winter and shoot on hot summers day with a poor design action,case with less volume than others-there are variables to consider that a green horn may not appreciate.Greg Duley test many loads also and does have an inkling I would suggest

but that is his point-stout loads s seen on the net may lead to the unawares new re loader to cause damage to themselves .I took his words as cautionary not final

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    but that is his point-stout loads s seen on the net may lead to the unawares new re loader to cause damage to themselves .I took his words as cautionary not final
    The guy that INVENTED the case publishes a load (not just a velocity) with the same speed.
    I'm sure he has fired MANY MANY more rounds through an Edge than anyone else in the world has
    There are also MANY other guys getting the same speed.

Who says its an over the top load?? Duley does
    With no evidence whatsoever - no idea on primer, twist, powder NOTHING - however ANOTHER dig at 7mmsaum.
    I was speaking to someone that Duley loads for, and it just happens that the load is EXACTLY the same as one of 7mmsaums which he publicly rubbished as being unsafe.
    Quite frankly I'm fucking sick of it - its nothing more than character assassination.
    Last edited by Spanners; 30-08-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.

AB Precision

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    The guy that INVENTED the case publishes a load (not just a velocity) with the same speed.
    I'm sure he has fired MANY MANY more rounds through an Edge than anyone else in the world has
    There are also MANY other guys getting the same speed.

Who says its an over the top load?? Duley does
    With no evidence whatsoever - no idea on primer, twist, powder NOTHING - however ANOTHER dig at 7mmsaum.
    I was speaking to someone that Duley loads for, and it just happens that the load is EXACTLY the same as one of 7mmsaums which he publicly rubbished as being unsafe.
    Quite frankly I'm fucking sick of it - its nothing more than character assassination.

I'd take Greg's advice anyday personally he has never put me wrong an is willing to bend over backwards to help, offering advice an experience across the board, in looking forward to meeting him when he helps me with 3 of my Wildcats, has even offered to stay. I can't fault him. Maybe it's tall poppie again:rolleyes:

It's his job, so it's his business to know what's what. Not just a random throwing a load together. . . . . .

sent from my Samsung s3 using tapatalk 2
    Rich007, L.R and el borracho like this.

Hi guys, I'm now distributing DTA rifles in NZ. See under Premier scopes in commercial advertisers section. Cheers!

Impure Lead Flinger

I am running mine at 2930 with a 30" barrel without many issues except when I put her in my pocket or a warm day pressure becomes excessive and ive popped a few primers... lol... Even trying or acheiving that I think loads will/are just getting on the warm side

mine needs to come back down under 2900 with its present 2225 load, as is to be more consistant..

I have a few more powders to try, but the edge has a new life planned for it now
    Last edited by baldbob; 30-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Man, some of you guys like getting fired up! Keep it calm or people will lose the point you’re trying to make. If Andrew is loading 2217 to 2950fps out of a 30” barrelled Edge, then that is too hot. Forget whether you believe us or not, the fact is it goes against what Shawn Carlock, arguably the most experienced relaoder and the developer of the Edge says, and who we happen to know very well. If Andrew is getting that velocity and wants to load to it that’s his business, but he should put a disclaimer of some sort with it. If he is the “go to” guy that some of you suggest, then he bears even more of a responsibility to put a disclaimer when quoting a velocity that goes against the norm. If he is using 869 to get that speed, which is universally accepted as being too slow with poor ES and temperature sensitivity and not the correct powder for the 338 Edge, then again, he should say so.
    Spanners, we will have to agree to disagree about velocity being a good indication of pressure when trying to work to loading manual loads. But the most experienced reloaders across the world say exactly that, work up loads while carefully watching the velocity. All things being equal, once you reach the book maximum velocity, even if you have not yet reached the maximum powder charge, you will be about max pressure or even possibly slightly above. If you have to exceed the max powder charge to equal the velocity, you most likely have a barrel/chamber with sloppier tolerances and will be at less than the book maximum pressure, or you have a slower batch of powder. That is why it is universally held that velocity is best indicator of pressure, as it takes into account all these other variables. But this only works if you have a reliable chronograph, which is what gets some into trouble. Tussock,that is why it is unwise to just post velocities, so I disagree that is a wise “unwritten rule”. If you are going to quote velocities that are 100fps faster than the norm, then you need to quote your components as well and also a disclaimer.
    I will respond to any civil replies, but I’m not interested in getting into a silly slanging match. And I apologise Savage1 if this has hijacked your thread.