Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: 600M GUN

TLB
    Simple answer, non magnum if 600 was your max then 270 3006 280ai will do the job.
    Or any of the wsm or magnum cartridges. One thing to consider factory ammo wise is wsm ammo is really expensive and harder to come by compared to the 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag ammo.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

7mag, 270wsm, Both manageable recoil with good technique, both capable at that range. More energy, less drift than the same size projectile being pushed slower by the non magnums.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

.280AI is pretty damn expensive, close to $100.00 for a box of 20. Makes me glad that I reload.

BRADS, superdiver and dannyb like this.

Waaay to far for me
    stevodog likes this.

Bus driver
    Quote...It is accepted that if you do your job and put the bullet where it counts, you can count on the .308 to do its job and incapacitate the target. The US Army preaches an 800 meter maximum effective range for the .308, the USMC preaches a 1000 yard (915 meter) max effective range.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Quote...It is accepted that if you do your job and put the bullet where it counts, you can count on the .308 to do its job and incapacitate the target. The US Army preaches an 800 meter maximum effective range for the .308, the USMC preaches a 1000 yard (915 meter) max effective range.
    Interesting. From my perspective I expect that how the US Army interprets "incapacitate" is quite different to the "ethical clean kill" that I expect on deer and Tahr That's why I wouldn't use one for the OP's intended purpose. Nor would I encourage anyone to.

You wont go wrong with a remmag

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Bill999 and bigbear like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Bus driver
    Good point ...the only reason I posted that is My son has a mate who has done 3 tours as a sniper with the USMC,Ive talked to him at length about the .308,which a lot of them use as their preferred rifle......some interesting conversations about its ”killabilty”......human and animal......animal is what I’m interested in,and yes I understand the military does not use off the shelf ammo.

When talking to him about big game shots.....anything under 500-600,you’ll take it out ,600-800 has to be accurately placed......1000,....luck!!!........190 gr is what Ill be using.......on a side note,he says he’s taken-out “targets”800-1000 without hesitation

I agree with many posters here,re stalking skills etc,The 308 long range that I’ve purchased is mostly for long range target shooting,500-800,something Ive done little off,and bought a reload kit for that round as the young fella(sniper) has agreeded to tutor me in the finer points of long distance shooting...looking fwd to it
    Wirehunt likes this.

Good point ...the only reason I posted that is My son has a mate who has done 3 tours as a sniper with the USMC,Ive talked to him at length about the .308,which a lot of them use as their preferred rifle......some interesting conversations about its ”killabilty”......human and animal......animal is what I’m interested in,and yes I understand the military does not use off the shelf ammo.

When talking to him about big game shots.....anything under 500-600,you’ll take it out ,600-800 has to be accurately placed......1000,....luck!!!........190 gr is what Ill be using.......on a side note,he says he’s taken-out “targets”800-1000 without hesitation

I agree with many posters here,re stalking skills etc,The 308 long range that I’ve purchased is mostly for long range target shooting,500-800,something Ive done little off,and bought a reload kit for that round as the young fella(sniper) has agreeded to tutor me in the finer points of long distance shooting...looking fwd to it
    Are you in the States at the moment? I'm in SanFran currently. At the airport this evening.

Bus driver
    Buggar!!!...was in San Fran yesterday.....just leaving Chicago for Los Angeles
    Tahr likes this.

PJC
    600 yards with a 308 at an animal is to long for me. At that distance you really need to be practicing a lot to be consitently hitting where you want to. Long range competition shooting in a blustery wind is a real eye opener
    mikee, Danny, Woody and 2 others like this.

One solution is for all you guys to turn up to the Toby shoot and have a crack at the 600 yard gong, make sure you bring lots of over the counter ammo and of course some ��
    Basically cash up front and have a go, winner takes all.
    Bagheera, Paddy79 and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    One solution is for all you guys to turn up to the Toby shoot and have a crack at the 600 yard gong, make sure you bring lots of over the counter ammo and of course some ��
    Basically cash up front and have a go, winner takes all.
    Done that. Took a couple to get onto the plate. You don't have that luxury shooting at a deer.
    Boaraxa likes this.

my mate uses 190gr,1;10 twist,22 in barrel...Ive seen him take caribou out ,clean kill at 6-700 yds...and that’s a .308........your thoughts??
    Are you sure about those numbers?

And is this mate and the sniper one and the same?