Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: 600M GUN

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I built a 600m gun, the two deer it has taken so far were at 87yds and 10yds...

You need to move your sofa back further from the window
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Shit come on where’s the 270 gang????
    too busy adjusting their man buns and using beard oil to comment
    R93, davhope, Sideshow and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Remmodel7 View Post
    For long shots at the point of pulling the trigger I thrust the while gun forward. Calculated out at 25fps additional speed. Flatter trajectory.
    It's for that exact reason I never oil the stock of my rifles with 3-1 oil anymore. Can't hold the buggers after the thrust. Picking them up at my feet after every shot sucks. Otherwise a 25 fps gain is being conservative.
    Moa Hunter, rewa and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Oh thank goodness I had to read it like 3 times thinking surely I'm reading this wrong
    And here I was, thinking he must be a 'crack-shot'
    Moa Hunter and outlander like this.

PS; Use a 6.5....any variety. Once the deer see it, they usually die on the spot, they know there's no point in running..and think what you'll save on ammo.. (6.5, what every .270 wants to be..)
    andyanimal31 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    PS; Use a 6.5....any variety. Once the deer see it, they usually die on the spot, they know there's no point in running..and think what you'll save on ammo.. (6.5, what every .270 wants to be..)
    just bought the wife a 6.5 grendell, only went into the shops to get her some gloves
    nek minnit "its my birthday soon........"

Is it too late to make popcorn?

So whats verdict
    what cal did you get?

600M GUN

I hope he got a .260 as it’s the best calibre in the world. It has taken many things from Elephants, Buffalo to rabbits. I’ve seen one shoot to past 600m, it hit the rock at 629m, it rolled down the hill.
    The rabbit and the limestone rock were both from the king country- tough over that way but it was easy for the 260.
    25 /08 IMP and Moa Hunter like this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    What a fucking hoot this thread is!

If you can whack a rabbit out to 230ish metres you can whack a deer at 600.
    If you can't do the first don't do the second.
    How you going down south WH?Yes rabbits on a good day no problem at 400yds-500yds as HC and I know.Mind you we got the space and rabbits to practice on.
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    How you going down south WH?Yes rabbits on a good day no problem at 400yds-500yds as HC and I know.Mind you we got the space and rabbits to practice on.
    shooting a rabbit at 230 metres is a hell of a lot different than shooting a deer at 600m, a rabbit will die from a shot thats not placed perfectly anyhow due to his small bodysize and the energy the projectile imparts at that range, you have quite a bit of room for error that will still result in a quick death, shooting a deer at 600m you dont have that room for error at all
    Danny, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    My thoughts - it’s on the margin and maybe ok for an experienced shot but not for an average one using factory ammo I would advise a lot more horse power.
    I think personally if you really thinking of shooting out to 600m at game you be mad to use factory ammo.
    Accuracy is so important and handloading you just get so much better accuracy and power than alot of factory ammo. 600m is pushing a 308 but theres plenty of yanks using one out to 800m on big elk with the right handloads so it must be capable but wouldnt dream using a factory load thou
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    shooting a rabbit at 230 metres is a hell of a lot different than shooting a deer at 600m, a rabbit will die from a shot thats not placed perfectly anyhow due to his small bodysize and the energy the projectile imparts at that range, you have quite a bit of room for error that will still result in a quick death, shooting a deer at 600m you dont have that room for error at all
    do the maths...it will/should tell all
    rabbit weights about 500grms half a kg....maybe up to a kg if been on really good tucker
    22lr projectiles weight 35-40 grains so what??? about 2 grams???
    so a 250th or a500th of weight of animal
    deer weighs 50-100kgs
    so would need to be hit with a 50-100grm projectile for it to be similar..thats grams not grains

Iv put a few hunred 308 Hornady 165 ssts down the range between 600yds to 800yds when I had a Burris eliminator 4x16x50,feed in the bullet drop at 750yds and BC.zeroed at a 100yds and away you go.All that on my old Mossberg ATR 100.With no wind and all going well,shooting moa was no problem at 750yds.Deer at long range is another story,unless you have everything in yr favour,i wouldnt take the shot,walk closer,you still got to get the deer.Rabbits and roos are good fun to practice on.
    Hornady 165 ssts is good ammo if your rifle likes it.
    rewa likes this.