Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: 600M GUN

Bus driver
    Yes......

No....
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

I’m staggered they stabilize. Almost unbelievable.

2400FPSish I presume.

And using a pretty decent BC of mid .5’s it’s still almost a meter of drift at 600 in a normal wind.

Fuck that for a joke! Irresponsible!

Just about EVERY option is better than that one.

no more so than using subsonics at anything past 50 yards really.....
    Wirehunt likes this.

The Original Striker
    200's will stabilize in a 1/11 at 2450fps.
    Id do it in a low wind situation, but indeed there is always better options, faster, higher bc and both

A few reports of guys running tight bartleins are getting 190/200 up over the 2550fps mark in shortish barrels, heavy dosing of rl15 and lapua palma brass I think
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

What sort of a thread is this ?
    Danny and outlander like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    A variable pitch and squeal one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Its the Random Claim and Argument Thread. Set up specifically so grumpy old men can sling insults and make wild claims and recriminatory accusations. A form of light entertainment. Like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    no more so than using subsonics at anything past 50 yards really.....
    I've been shooting lots of pukekos with Rob's subsonic 151gr 308 lead pills well past 100m! Plague proportions. Deadly effective. Ha.
    Wirehunt, striker, mikee and 4 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

sneakywaza I got
    Far too many variables to consider, the fact the question is asked at all, raises questions..........

Personally, in open country, my first thought process is all about how can I get closer and reduce the variables and improve the odds. The odds not being, can I hit it from here at my 600m mark, but can I kill the animal cleanly, quickly and humanely. I refuse to deal in maybe, luck and hope.

For easily available ammo, good killing power pretty hard to go past 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. If he's only shooting the odd deer or tahr then surely he can live with the recoil (shoot a brake or live with the suppressor weight, no free lunches), plus having a little extra grunt will help if shot placement is a little off, if he's willing to hunt that way. Not my cup of tea.
    I'd want the factory stuff shooting at least 1/2 MOA. 600 metres is a fairly tough shot if there's anymore than a light breeze.

Check out some of the long range hunting guys on youtube, you'll see the wind drift they're dealing with. Practice will never make perfect when dealing with wind
    Last edited by McNotty; 04-06-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    Micky Duck, bigbear and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    200's will stabilize in a 1/11 at 2450fps.
    Id do it in a low wind situation, but indeed there is always better options, faster, higher bc and both

A few reports of guys running tight bartleins are getting 190/200 up over the 2550fps mark in shortish barrels, heavy dosing of rl15 and lapua palma brass I think
    There you go, I learnt something today. Cleary .30cal is a more naturally 'stable' projectile size. I have zero experience with the 30' out of an 08 size case.

Its still a retarded idea to try and push that size projectile from the o8 case though right? Why would you go to all that trouble when almost everything in the gun world is a better option?

There's nothing quite like a long range "hunting" thread to get the blood boiling.

And 600m isn't even long range!

Technically, 600m is medium range, according to... er... someone. NRA? http://longrangehunting.com? Nathan Foster?

Gotta love YouTube, it's created a whole new generation of long range hunters, almost overnight! Gotta love high BC long-for-calibre bullets too. You can do anything with those...

New Zealand is almost uniquely setup for longer range shooting of animals, due to the contour. Perfect valleys to shoot across. King Country, Western Ruapehu and Taranaki at the top of the list. Tumbling goats! And in some circumstances, that can be a significant plus for the farmers who otherwise might really struggle to clear goats off their back blocks, those with a boundary to the native.

But lighthearted banter aside... its a serious business.

Anyone that cannot recite their drops off by heart shouldn't even think about it.

But I will lay a polite challenge to the auto-naysayers, and say that fast kill rates are maybe a lot higher that you might think, in practiced hands, especially on smaller animals like goats, yearling deer, medium pigs. Yes of course you get the odd fail and anyone that says they don't is a liar, but that's no different to lost deer at close range in the woods. It happens.

Personally, I'm very comfortable in the 400-600m, with my setup. It's limited, and I know what those limits are. Occasionally, in perfect circumstances in terrain I know like the back of my hand, I'll go a little longer. Goats and small deer. To a large extent, its a prerequisite of the permission, there's an expectation that my efforts will return a suitable number of dead pests. It's important that I can deliver to that expectation.

If I want a decent sized meat animal that I can recover, I move to flatter contour and get a shit load closer! Simple really.

Sometimes, as hunters, the pest control type shooting muddies the waters. And a lot of that makes it onto YouTube and I think that's a problem. The standard content warning "This is a hunting video, viewer discretion advised" actually should say "This is a pest control video". The outcome is no different to the videos of terriers catching rats. Dead animals left to rot. Totally different business.

Yes of course there is an obligation to kill humanely, but in practical terms the rules of engagement are different to the purist meat hunter, who is shooting for the table. You can throw spotlighting pest deer into the mix, or WARO on private land. Necessary work. Enjoyable, if that's your thing. There's no obligation or expectation that every animal will be recovered, the last one I was involved in the recovery rate was around 70%, all for pet food.

So shooting animals at 600m, or whatever range you consider "long" and for many that's anything over 200m, is a more complex issue than it is often regarded on these kinds of threads.

If I can't get to it, and I want to recover it, I don't shoot it, no matter what the range. If I don't need to recover it, then I might shoot it, if my assessment of the variables is positive. Nothing more to it.
    Just...say...the...word

Bus driver
    Quote..”Its still a retarded idea to try and push that size projectile from the o8 case though right? Why would you go to all that trouble when almost everything in the gun world is a better option?”

I rest my case....some people actually learn some things... me too

Bus driver
    Quote”...Its still a retarded idea “

Who’s retarded

.358 winchester anyone????
    A330driver likes this.

Bus driver
    Lol