Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Acceptable group size at long range ?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr-Bound View Post
    Not the chicken fights! Someone told me they do them because it's cheaper haha

Dad, what's the blow-hole for?
    I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
    Classic Peter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Just wondering where I should be heading with group sizes.

Is it feasible to be trying/striving the shoot 0.25 or what ever, moa groups or is anything under 1moa acceptable ?

Is 0.25 or what ever, moa unrealistic/impossible.

If it isn't that possible whats the point trying to achieve it unless you like pulling all your hair out, for me that wouldn't take long

Just trying to get an idea what other shooters think....
    What size target do you want to hit at what range, i would want sub moa, as 1 moa @ 100 yards = about an inch and then two inches at 200 yards and so forth

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    What size target do you want to hit at what range, i would want sub moa, as 1 moa @ 100 yards = about an inch and then two inches at 200 yards and so forth
    I have come to the conclusion that obviously less is more but around an average of .5-.6 moa at range is where you need to be & is working fine for me so far.

I would like better but field conditions really don't allow that most of the time beyond 5-600 yards......

Having enough "horsepower" when shots end up being slightly less than ideal is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    So Greg, your averaging .5-.6MOA to range in field conditions with those big guns?
    Have been quite easily at 500 & 625 yards have had 3 shots down to .23 but usually .34 & up to .85 in the wind......usually not to far from intended poi.

Had 2 misses at 950 out of 5 shots in changable conditions & a very crappy position 34 degress up, the other day, both misses were first shots, I'm slowly getting better

Need to get the dies sorted better for the 375 & then I will get that humming again.....mmmmmm big high bc bullets...mmmmmm

You should be good to win the gunslinger comp next time its on with stats like that Greg !!! I shot a measly 860 yards the other day and missed every single shot -I dont know what the group size was as I couldnt see it throught the glare of the sun lol

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    You should be good to win the gunslinger comp next time its on with stats like that Greg !!! I shot a measly 860 yards the other day and missed every single shot -I dont know what the group size was as I couldnt see it throught the glare of the sun lol
    Nope not going :-)

That can happen very easily at any range

I saw a pic of a 3 shot group the other day approx .27 moa well past 1400

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

I saw a pic of a 3 shot group the other day approx .27 moa well past 1400
    Cool, how close was the first one to the centre of the target?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    ...why do I feel like we've just gone full-circle?

Ps. Debate about group size vs. first-round hits aside (I found it quite interesting, and can see the merits of both):

-why are we talking about 3-shot groups rather than 5? If we're going to do groups, we might as well do them properly?? (or have I missed something here?).

R93
    Because I thought, we are talking about LR hunting rifles. Where is it gospel that 5 rounds is the correct number to consitute a group? Initially a 5-10 rnd group has its merits, no doubt. If you have established your rifle is accurate and your rounds fall on your POA then 3 rounds, which consitute a group by the way, are suffice for practical hunting needs.
    To fire 5 rounds every time you check your rifle after that is a waste of good ammo as far as I am concerned.
    Cold bore hits on POA is where its at, whatever the range for most peoples purposes.
    Paper tamperers, firing 5, 10 or 20 round serials can wank all they like over what suits them.
    A more realistic test IMO, of a shooter and his gear, is a group fired at the same POA over several days no matter what the conditions. Just settling in behind the rifle will play havoc on some.
    Last edited by R93; 06-07-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    The pic I saw had 1 hole 1" below centre, one directly below it slightly right & one below that to the left wrecking the group

I have no idea the order they were shot or whether the shown target was the one aimed at.

It matters not, a group that size in that position is a great accomplishment at any range let alone at 1600 metres

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Because I thought, we are talking about LR hunting rifles. Where is it gospel that 5 rounds is the correct number to consitute a group? Initially a 5-10 rnd group has its merits, no doubt. If you have established your rifle is accurate and your rounds fall on your POA then 3 rounds, which consitute a group by the way, are suffice for practical hunting needs.
    To fire 5 rounds every time you check your rifle after that is a waste of good ammo as far as I am concerned.
    Cold bore hits on POA is where its at, whatever the range for most peoples purposes.
    Paper tamperers, firing 5, 10 or 20 round serials can wank all they like over what suits them.
    A more realistic test IMO, of a shooter and his gear, is a group fired at the same POA over several days no matter what the conditions. Just settling in behind the rifle will play havoc on some.
    Ah good, thanks- that's just the kind of information I was looking for when I said "(or have I missed something here?)". -What you've said makes good sense in the context of "every time you check your rifle" as you say.

-However, if I was shooting groups for load development, or varifying ballistics at longer range I think I'd still use 5 shots, just for the greater relevance of a larger sample size. (Sorry, that sounded really wanky- I meant: just because 5 shots gives a better example of patterns/trends/consistency). Each to their own on that one though I'm sure.