Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: An accuracy challenge

Here's mine with my 308 and factory ammo. Was either the first or 2nd group I shot with it and hadn't zeroed it. Guy in the shop was pretty close with the boresight, haha. Have another somewhere with a blotted out bullseye, but I normally have it sighted 1.5" or 2" high at 100m.

Name:  168gr MatchKing.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  721.4 KB

Ebf should be all over this, I'd post my BP express but only get one hole at 100metres so believe the next four just followed?
    ebf, Toby and BRADS like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Out of interest, are these small groups being shot from a bag and the stock in a "bag" of some sort also? Im so new to shooting that I don't know how its all done. I would have thought shooting from a bag would be to easy?

Quote Originally Posted by nicks_tricks View Post
    Out of interest, are these small groups being shot from a bag and the stock in a "bag" of some sort also? Im so new to shooting that I don't know how its all done. I would have thought shooting from a bag would be to easy?
    Most of them will be, yes. The aim when zeroing a rifle how you want (or testing loads) is to take the shooter out of it as much as possible. You want to see how that particular rifle with that particular ammo shoots.

You can't tell bugger all if you along and offhand shoot for example, because your point of impact will change every single shot, and there could be a thousand reasons why.

In saying that, I have found my ammo of choice (factory, I don't reload) so when I go to the range now I normally shoot off my bipod only, as that's what I need to practice. Need to practice offhand at some stage too but it seems to be frowned upon at ranges haha.

Hope that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Most of them will be, yes. The aim when zeroing a rifle how you want (or testing loads) is to take the shooter out of it as much as possible. You want to see how that particular rifle with that particular ammo shoots.

You can't tell bugger all if you along and offhand shoot for example, because your point of impact will change every single shot, and there could be a thousand reasons why.

In saying that, I have found my ammo of choice (factory, I don't reload) so when I go to the range now I normally shoot off my bipod only, as that's what I need to practice. Need to practice offhand at some stage too but it seems to be frowned upon at ranges haha.

Hope that answers your question.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Now I don't feel like such a bad shot and it explains why the groupings are so good in this thread.

Yesterday I shot in my barrel and managed to get some great groupings from the bipod, I have no doubt it would do 5 groups of 5 shots well under 1 MOA with it sitting on bags etc. Happy with my new machine!
    veitnamcam and PERRISCICABA like this.

A bipod is almost as good as a proper shooting rest in my experience, but a bag or some sort of support at the butt does make a bit of difference over just the old fist underneath. Either way sounds like it shoots good enough to kill stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nicks_tricks View Post
    most of my shooting is offhand and usually snap shooting from years of hunting small game. If I muck about taking the off hand shot it will get worse! Shot a 50 metre target about 200 dia for a 44/50 using my 45/70 BP trapdoor off hand at the last shoot all snap shots, I not complain. Shooting Rushy win mag? The other day over 800 metres off bag rest I was consistent missing with every shot I took, I blamed the rifle!
    veitnamcam and PERRISCICABA like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

It is a different skill and IMHO the most important as a hunter to be able to shoot quickly and accurately off hand.
    kimjon, Dr. Watson, Maca49 and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Shooting of the bipod at longer distances can be tricky, I tend to pull the rifle back into me to load the bipod firm. Once again it will be a quick shot, nothing worse than waiting and waiting for some wacker to pull the trigger, indoor shooting over twenty metres, God I could make a cup of tea between some guys shots!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

If you really want to eliminate most of the human error, there is no substitute for a solid pedestal front rest and a rear bag. Bipods can work but technique is very important- the way you "load" them can have a great effect on elevation.

This is my son's partner (no, she's not available..) shooting with a joystick front rest.

You don't have to pinch the rear bag to get the final aim. Even with this rock solid setup, technique is still very important. Variable shoulder pressure / position, cheek pressure and trigger technique all affect where the shot goes

ebf
    @gimp

Not 5x5, but a slight variation on your accuracy challenge.

My target from this weekend's North Island 300m champs in Rotorua. The red circles contain 2 shots each. The yellow sticker is a shot indicator from one of my other targets, it was "retired" after getting 4 hits.

X ring is 50mm, 10-ring is 100mm (8mm inward gauging used)

The group measures 2.598 inch / 66mm, I think that works out to a .75 MOA 10-shot group...

Name:  20150504_100727.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  339.6 KB

go at it boys, see what you can do
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I was trying to find my bragging targets from the same shoot a few years ago but they got miss layed in my move, my overall group may have been larger due to flyers the scores were 99.7 and 99.9 just have to miss a wind change and it costs you big time, great shooting ebf keep it up I hope to get back into F class next year, I just wish that the Rotorua shoot was at a warmer time of year, Robert

ebf
    Yeah, pretty chilly working in the butts early in the morning that's for sure

Tricky range to shoot at, like you say, wind swirls a bit, and the flags are below the flight line, so easy to miss a shift.

You are more than welcome to come join us, the field was pretty evenly split between ISSF, TR-Open, FTR and F-Open. The 300m group has been letting FTR shoot with them for a couple of years, and this was the first time we had FO entries, the boys had a good run on Sun morning with 599 and 598 scores !

hows the savage go at that range ebf?
    #BallisticFists

ebf
    Dunno M, still trying to find a projectile powder combination that goes at a speed I like...

One of the open guys this weekend was shooting a 6.5x47, I'm starting to think I might have to convert the savage to a creedmoor for LR gongs