Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree229Likes

Thread: An accuracy challenge

Only just read this thread, most of my ammo has been earmarked for the upcoming LR day but could probably manage a few groups with the 223 in a couple of days.

I love how people complain about other peoples groups.

Its very easy to hold MOA with an accurate rifle and ideal conditions.

Its very hard to hold MOA with an accurate rifle and most hunting conditions.

Deal with it, practice, move on.

MOA isn't even good, I dont think ive ever seen a rifle that couldnt shoot under MOA with tuning.

Chris

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    I love how people complain about other peoples groups.

Its very easy to hold MOA with an accurate rifle and ideal conditions.

Its very hard to hold MOA with an accurate rifle and most hunting conditions.

Deal with it, practice, move on.

MOA isn't even good, I dont think ive ever seen a rifle that couldnt shoot under MOA with tuning.

Chris
    I thought long and hard for something smart to say to you, but im so used to you and your "speakings" all ive got is "CRANKN" "CRANKN" "CRANKN" "CRANKN" "CRANKN" "CRANKN" .......

To me its not IF you can shoot 1" c/c at 100y...It's HOW. If somebody told me they did it on their guts with a bipod i'd be fairly impressed actually. If they did it in a fair breeze i'd also be very impressed. Putting 5 rounds on the same spot only tells me that your wind stayed nice and constant. You're also a guy that can keep his heart rate down too. But as for the capability of a modern rifle, i believe a good shot could pick up ANY T3 or remington or savage and shoot sub MOA.

I've done it with a spring powered semi recoiless air rifle (an RWS '54) using a shitty simmons 4x scope off a bench. It took me 2 days of endless pellets down range until the wind stopped for a full 5 mins. Thats doing it with only 800ft/sec with 21gn 'barracouda' pellets.

Im all for sending mountains of lead downrange (i wont be as i cant afford it ha ha). But i do think there's a good balance point between perfectionism and being practical. Enough range time / comp time to ensure that the hunting stays sharp and vice versa.

Done this today after i had my rifle bedded, it's only 3 but it is pissing down with rain sporadically today so it was a get it done and go situation.
    At 100m of the bonnet of my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    Done this today after i had my rifle bedded, it's only 3 but it is pissing down with rain sporadically today so it was a get it done and go situation.
    Very nice, its a basterd shooting off a bonnet!

Yeah not at all easy but had to be done, away hunting this arvo just hope the rain stops at some stage.
    Triangle is 26mm so just over an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post

Did that a couple of times in the weekend of my bonnet for the first three shots with the 22-250Ai with 75gr amaxs (well one like it and one close) but it was bloody hard getting five shot groups like it of the bonnet, Mind you I wasn't let it cool between shots either as I was just testing some loads quickly, Forgot the table so couldn't use the chrony...so just banged them off quickly and one load looks to be a keeper
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    Did that a couple of times in the weekend of my bonnet for the first three shots with the 22-250Ai with 75gr amaxs (well one like it and one close) but it was bloody hard getting five shot groups like it of the bonnet, Mind you I wasn't let it cool between shots either as I was just testing some loads quickly, Forgot the table so couldn't use the chrony...so just banged them off quickly and one load looks to be a keeper
    Freestyler

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    I thought long and hard for something smart to say to you, but im so used to you and your "speakings" all ive got is "CRANKN" "CRANKN" "CRANKN" "CRANKN" "CRANKN" "CRANKN" .......
    Haha penis.

I need to come over there for cuddles now your allowed out after hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post
    Freestyler
    No point waiting for the rifle to cool each time between shots to much as that is not how it happens in the feild.... Might get the tiny little group but at least the first three must stay tight..... and up here there is F/all rabbits so you dont shoot many more than that in quick repitition so this rig has a lighter barrel.... But it does seam to open up after the first three.....or my shooting turns to shit

A couple of the shots the bypod slid on the bonnet but still happy enough with the load testing to load a bunch for now, will try another powder at some stage for max speed but this will do the owner of the rifle as it shoots further than he can see the rabits with the naked eye.

Last edited by leathel; 02-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

R93
    Got a new stainless .223 barrel for the blaser and it shot very well with the first load tried.
    Had sort of a go at this challange as well but only fired 5 rounds at 5 marks (not enough ammo) and managed .75 with one bad shot bringing it out to that. Due to having to change position between shots I found I had, as usual, a small vertical influence.
    I did rush it and was having a play but I would be seriously happy if I could manage .75 over 10 rounds. I will give it another go with once I settle on a load and hopefully with a member as a witness.
    Last edited by R93; 10-03-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Got a new stainless .223 barrel for the blaser
    Pictures please. Who did the work? I see there is another German outfit selling R93 barrels now too. Did you get the rings you were after?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I wanted to try the challenge with my 6BR but the weather was crap and I did not have enough time before I pulled it apart and flogged it off.

R93
    I managed to get a new saddle mount and 30mm rings for $390.00 Australian. The barrel is a Tiffen (trueflight) special. Yesterday I had to endure a period of ridicule about my liniage and other frailties and he still managed to squander more money out of me.
    No I did not know about the other barrels James.
    I will post ya a pic when I get tui mans can fitted in the next day or so.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.