Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree754Likes

Thread: The dinner plate challenge

I BELIEVE Dreamer shot unsupported 2 shots at 108 YARDS the first longer shot wasnt standing.....
    Dreamer and dannyb like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

DBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you dont need to go unsupported,the challenge is all about putting it back into a hunting type situation.... try it prone over a daybag,or bipod.... you dont cart a lead sled up the hill after deer so its out.
    Who carts a led sled up a hill to shoot off a bipod? I'm missing something here.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

So disgusted the our day I didn't retrieve the plate, 1 st shot yer beauty, fired 2 more and didn't see a hit. Back for a shot today recovered the plate so 2 out of 3 ait bad. Still a good challenge, swear I was better when I was younger, take a rabbit most times.
    Name:  20220629_214906 (2).jpg
Views: 358
Size:  157.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Gave it a go this morning once the fog lifted
    Clean cold barrel @405 yds didn’t quite get the breeze right though

Then tried the standing unsupported @108 yds and I fully admit really surprised myself so fired a second shot just to see

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That’s great shooting @Dreamer. What’s your plate size? Not that it matter since you’re in the middle. 👍
    Dreamer likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Here is @Micky Duck 's actual plate....standing shot at 75yards

Attachment 200437
    We’ll done @Micky Duck, that’s in the engine room.
    As long as it’s a 200pound boar 😂
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    Who carts a led sled up a hill to shoot off a bipod? I'm missing something here.
    I been missing things as of late too!!!!!! as long as its not the plate LOL....

I was being a bit tongue in cheek re lead sled.....could have put,shooting bench,rifle vice, rail gun,25lb rifle and would still read the same.

unsupported shot = you plus rifle plus what you normally take hunting,the bipod is now pretty much standard for lots of folks,so its a bit of grey area as to if you still unsupported.
    dannyb and RugerM77 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

DBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I been missing things as of late too!!!!!! as long as its not the plate LOL....

I was being a bit tongue in cheek re lead sled.....could have put,shooting bench,rifle vice, rail gun,25lb rifle and would still read the same.

unsupported shot = you plus rifle plus what you normally take hunting,the bipod is now pretty much standard for lots of folks,so its a bit of grey area as to if you still unsupported.
    Ah yep with you now, all my shooting is with a bipod on the ground or off a pack. It makes sense to practise like you out in da bush.
    Micky Duck and RugerM77 like this.
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

Think I found my missing 100m standing shot, the others were using full height home made shooting sticks, massive difference. Carry them always, doubles up as walking stick.
    Name:  20220630_090733 (2).jpg
Views: 349
Size:  260.6 KB
    Name:  20220630_091542.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  777.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    That’s great shooting @Dreamer. What’s your plate size? Not that it matter since you’re in the middle.
    Thanks @2post. The plate circle is 10 inches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Greetings All,
    It has been a lovely day so after lunch I made myself a dinner plate target (felt marker circle on paper 195mm dia) and had one shot at 100 metres. I fired sitting using a pair of sticks and the shot went 65mm high and 35mm right of center. The rifle had been roughly zeroed for this projectile, my practise load, and was shot today with a cold clean barrel. In spite of leaving my glasses in the shed and shooting over the sticks I felt pretty steady so I am asking myself.
    Is the rifle shooting high because of the rough zero, the cold clean barrel or is it Grandpamac error? Would it be any different with my hunting loads? How would I go at 200 metres, 300 metres?
    Honestly I don't know the answer but intend to find out.
    Regards Grandpamac.

GWH
    Just seen this thread.

I like this idea, its all good and well walking a shot onto a plate at LR, anyone can do that. But this is a true test of the cold bore first shot counts when in the field shooting at a deer.

I've been away on a hunting trip over the weekend. Had my 7mm SAUM, it hadnt been fired since shooting its last 2 deer a couple of months back. Anyway, late sat arvo my 'dinner plate' (red yearlings shoulder) was at 405 yards, I dialed up the required 4.5 MOA, held a very small amount for the light right to left breeze and fired.

My 'dinner plate' jumped and lurched forward into the adjacent scrub. I headed around and dropped down, and found the little red deer with a nice hole thru its nearside dinner plate, and a larger messier hole thru its offside dinner plate with a piece of lung hanging out of it. The dinner plate is now in pieces chillaxing in my beer fridge.

I was prone obviously, harris bipod, and i used my camera bag stuffed with my thick fleece gloves as a rear support under the back of the stock, just as I always do for a long-range hunting shot.

Seriously though, this dinner plate challenge is a good test of equipment and shooter. I paint 3" pink dots on my white gong plates, if I cannot hit that pink dot with a cold bore shot at 400 yards (max distance available at my local range) after pulling the rifle out of the gun bag then my equipment and/or me need some work.
    Last edited by GWH; 30-06-2022 at 04:53 PM.

I did something like this when my son in law started shooting
    But used orange clay targets
    Sets of nails to hold 5 clay targets spread on the range board
    Made him shoot them off hand at about 25m until he could constantly hit them all
    Then he would step back 10m more and do it again
    He improved heaps in only a few sessions

Now he's quite capable even with my really big rifles
    Freezer, GWH and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I did something like this when my son in law started shooting
    But used orange clay targets
    Sets of nails to hold 5 clay targets spread on the range board
    Made him shoot them off hand at about 25m until he could constantly hit them all
    Then he would step back 10m more and do it again
    He improved heaps in only a few sessions

Now he's quite capable even with my really big rifles
    Should have said that was with a 22 LR
    GWH, Woody, RUMPY and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Just seen this thread.

I like this idea, its all good and well walking a shot onto a plate at LR, anyone can do that. But this is a true test of the cold bore first shot counts when in the field shooting at a deer.

I've been away on a hunting trip over the weekend. Had my 7mm SAUM, it hadnt been fired since shooting its last 2 deer a couple of months back. Anyway, late sat arvo my 'dinner plate' (red yearlings shoulder) was at 405 yards, I dialed up the required 4.5 MOA, held a very small amount for the light right to left breeze and fired.

My 'dinner plate' jumped and lurched forward into the adjacent scrub. I headed around and dropped down, and found the little red deer with a nice hole thru its nearside dinner plate, and a larger messier hole thru its offside dinner plate with a piece of lung hanging out of it. The dinner plate is now in pieces chillaxing in my beer fridge.

I was prone obviously, harris bipod, and i used my camera bag stuffed with my thick fleece gloves as a rear support under the back of the stock, just as I always do for a long-range hunting shot.

Seriously though, this dinner plate challenge is a good test of equipment and shooter. I paint 3" pink dots on my white gong plates, if I cannot hit that pink dot with a cold bore shot at 400 yards (max distance available at my local range) after pulling the rifle out of the gun bag then my equipment and/or me need some work.
    Sorry but I must insist of photos, perhaps lightly seared back straps with a red wine jus will suffice.
    veitnamcam and GWH like this.

This is my boys dinner plate from a month ago (well it at least ended up on his dinner plate) about 80yards prone 243 win
    He had never fired this rifle before and no adjustments have been made to this rifle setup in over 16 years
    Says to me while getting behind the rifle should I aim for the crease of its shoulder again. Yep is my reply
    And that is where he sent it right in centre of the crease it never took a step Name:  9617D2C1-33C9-414D-8A07-5F181A33F7DC.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  4.69 MB