Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: firing .22 subs and high velocity

700fps?? no wonder they are quiet, bees will be passing them haha. have you tried throwing them, ah the accuracy wouldn't be great i guess
    bully likes this.

Hahaha, yeah nah I definitely wouldn't do any competition shooting with em. Just for busting cans and balloons cheaply. The main reason I got them is she used to be shit scared of the sound even with hearing protection on so I tried these and she's finally got used to not flinching. She does well now can pretty much outshoot me with (her) / my Ruger 10/22 running stingers.
    smidey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    This may be a stupid question but is it simply a matter of adjusting the aim in height only or will i need to start from scratch when sighting in a high velocity over a sub sonic round?
    If i go and buy some HV ammo, can i switch between the two types with a certain amount of clicks on height depending on what i am shooting at?
    The way I dealt with this was to sight my Subs in very slightly high at 50m, and they dip a little by 75m. Then if you can find some HV ammo that still shoots straight (not left or right) with that zero, you will hopefully find that it's pretty good at 75m and 100m.

For my 10/22 the combo was CCI Standard for the subs, and CCI Mini Mags for the HV. CCI Stingers are about right at 100m too, but I don't find them that accurate out of my 22.

The reticle on my scope is really great for a 22. It has a circle around the center dot and the top of the circle is great for 25m and the bottom of it for 75m with subs. Very useful for this type of setup.

Those full over barrel suppressors are meant to bleed off speed so that even the standard/hv ammo comes out as subsonic. With my rifle zeroed at 75m with the Fiocchi HV ammo it is also zeroed at 50m with the PMX subs.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Those full over barrel suppressors are meant to bleed off speed so that even the standard/hv ammo comes out as subsonic. With my rifle zeroed at 75m with the Fiocchi HV ammo it is also zeroed at 50m with the PMX subs.
    really? i have put a couple HV rounds through it in the past and it created the sonic boom, just no powder bang.

A mate has a savage shorty that is just like mine but it also has a ported barrel so the reduces the pace of all projectiles, think from memory i thought you're supposed to fire HV but they exit at sub sonic.

Mine doesn't have a ported barrel, just over barrel suppressor.

That projectile speed changes my response. The subs I'm using (CCI) are 1070 fps, at 700 FPS I'd say there'd be a HUUUUUGE difference between them and HV (1280 FPS)

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    really? i have put a couple HV rounds through it in the past and it created the sonic boom, just no powder bang.

A mate has a savage shorty that is just like mine but it also has a ported barrel so the reduces the pace of all projectiles, think from memory i thought you're supposed to fire HV but they exit at sub sonic.

Mine doesn't have a ported barrel, just over barrel suppressor.
    That's good then, it gives you more options. I was initially looking at a Savage shorty, glad I didn't get it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    That's good then, it gives you more options. I was initially looking at a Savage shorty, glad I didn't get it.
    that's what i thought about the jw15. The shorty is quieter, first time i fired it i thought it had miss fired haha but the jw15 is more versatile as you say.

I use a suppressed JW15 with a hushpower braveheart. I have a mildot Nikko Airking gold scope and the rifle is sighted at 50m zero for WinX 40gr subs. I find that 1 dot above the crosshairs is the the point of hold under for the 40gr powerpoints without changing scope settings (effectively a 75m zero). The suppressor handles powerpoints no problems. I spotlight most friday evenings in winter using subs but have one mag in my pocket loaded with powerpoints for the possums or cats at longer range.
    smidey likes this.

My jw15 with muzzle can shoots winch subsonics zeroed at 25m and then winch powerpoints are zeroed at 50m. vrry fottunate. each spot on for its best application. see if you can find a pair that does it for your gun. best not to click around with your .22 unless you only use it for field target competition I reckon.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Every rifle is different ... I couldn't get enough predictability so I have 2 x .22LR's ... one for Subs and one for HV. These ballistic tables might give you a feel for the differences. Also semi-autos can make a big difference to these charts. Down range for you is really the only way you will know for certain. Keep safe !
    Name:  Screen shot 2013-12-13 at 8.50.40 PM.png
Views: 490
Size:  24.5 KB
    Name:  Screen shot 2013-12-13 at 8.50.09 PM.png
Views: 513
Size:  56.9 KB